Not Going Out - Series 2 Page 45

Is it Twinnings? If it's good enough for Stephen Fry.

I agree with Krenz by the way - we easily had enough material - jokes, situations, nuances, character - for 40 minutes. I wrote the first draft and I wrote it too long, which is unprofessional, but we were up against a mad deadline. The pruning starts there, and it keeps going until you have 28 minutes. We wanted it to be like a play, all in one location, a fixed number of characters, and we wanted Victorian/Edwardian costumes. We got all those things, but watching the final cut, it did feel a bit rushed. There, you see, we're man enough to admit it wasn't perfect, but we had a damn good go, and I truly think that Lee's protracted, wordless reaction to the Nigella Lawson line was as good as something Hancock might have done.

Quote: Krenz @ December 24, 2007, 1:03 PM

I was convinced the "fck off" would get a bleep... In fact I put it in as a joke, didn't think it would get past Lee, then when I thought it'll never get past the first read, and then that it'd never reach the recording, and then that it would certainly be bleeped... So I was shocked too. And a little uncomfortable with my girlfriend's parents. Of course I told them that someone else wrote that one...

The FUCK OFF line was so out of the blue, it was perfect.

Quote: Andrew Collins @ December 24, 2007, 9:20 PM

I truly think that Lee's protracted, wordless reaction to the Nigella Lawson line was as good as something Hancock might have done.

Yes, that was brilliant. Lee's facial expressions were perfection.

Hi all!
First post - though I've been reading for a couple of weeks

Not Going Out is one of my favourite British sitcom of the moment - though I've only been a fan since series 2.

I've always been a big fan of Tim Vine, but couldn't get into series one as that american woman did my head in, and it just didn't seem to work very well. However, I'm glad I gave the show another chance in its second outing - as the second series is fabulous!

Overall - I love Tim's Sister (much better than the previous woman), and the cleaner is just fabulous! I loved Daisy in the Christmas special and hope she becomes a regular too! She's hysterical!

I would agree with other people who've commented that Tim is underused, he should be one of the main players in the show, not just rolled in half way through when needed!

Can't wait for next year's shows!

As an on-off viewer of NGO, I decided to watch the Christmas Special out of curiosity and while I really enjoyed it, I did think it could of been at least 10-15 minutes longer as it felt rushed in places.

Lee's reaction to the Nigella Lawson comment was hilarious and one of the best moments of the Special.

Jonwo, your post was the 666 on this thread, you scare me, i'll do anything you say Mr Thorn.

Welcome Gyro.

Dave, you can't call him Gyro! his gags will be spent be the morning.

Quote: Andrew Collins @ December 24, 2007, 9:20 PM

I truly think that Lee's protracted, wordless reaction to the Nigella Lawson line was as good as something Hancock might have done.

It was - but I was surprised to see it as it took up such a relatively large amount of time in what was already a very rushed show. At the time it seemed to me like something you would probably need the luxury of an extended show to really be able to fit in.

Quote: PhilSug @ December 25, 2007, 10:47 PM

It was - but I was surprised to see it as it took up such a relatively large amount of time in what was already a very rushed show. At the time it seemed to me like something you would probably need the luxury of an extended show to really be able to fit in.

I agree that was strectched to much for a 30 minute show if there were jokes on the cutting room floor. You don't need to explain to me how sexy Nigella is.

I wish I could recall this bloody Nigella Lawson bit everyone's going on about...

Watch it again on BBC iPlayer.

Quote: zooo @ December 26, 2007, 1:00 PM

I wish I could recall this bloody Nigella Lawson bit everyone's going on about...

It was about a 5 minute close up of Lee not saying anything - just imagining.

Ahhh, I remember! Thank you.