500 Greatest Films Page 12

Quote: youngian @ April 20 2011, 3:56 PM BST

I see the Shawshank Redemption is on this list- the thick person's idea of a great film.

I loved Shawshank, I guess that makes me thick.

I like it to but it's a nuts and bolts impression of an epic movie.

Shawshank's a great movie.

And in my part of the world it's a great source of entertainment, as it provides me with lots of giggles as I listen to people try to pronounce the title: Shimshark Reduction (courtesy of my own mother.)

I love Shawshank'. Don't give a f**k if anybody says otherwise. So there.

:D

Quote: Leevil @ April 20 2011, 7:47 PM BST

I love Shawshank'. Don't give a f**k if anybody says otherwise. So there.

As long as you realise this makes you a thicko.

It's my middle name.

One more for Shawshank. Quality.

Hmm, I found Shawshank very corny, I have to say. Can see why it's popular but is it one of the ten greatest films ever? Answer, don't be silly.

Others in that top ten, well if there has to be a musical in it then it should be Westside Story and not Signing in the Rain, the former is far more of a musical and really goes for it.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark, great entertainment but a cartoon really. An action adventure film far more worthy of the top ten is Robin Hood, the Errol Flynn version.

I love Jaws but it's a very silly film really, Speilberg's comic book take on man v beast. Still great cinema though.

Empire Strikes Back, Lucas trying to outdo Speilberg for cartoon entertainment.

Goodfellas, nowhere near as good as his Taxi Driver which IS a great film.

Apocalypse Now, not in my top ten favourites list but unquestionably a great film worthy of the top ten.

Pulp Fiction, please don't try to justify this self indulgent artifice, it's a jamboree bag of film cliches. If there has to be a cool, pop culturey flashy film in it then Breathless by Goddard is way more worthy.

The Fight Club, can't comment, I'm rather glad to say I haven't viewed this one yet.

Shawshanks is good fun but very much by the numbers. A good director, good script and 2 top range actors is always going to be more than watchable.

It's just not great.

And it has none of the book's charms which are far more salty, dark and bitter. The book by being far more true to life and believable has far more of a sense of magic with the final twist.

Where did One flew over the Cuckooos nest come in the list?

It didn't.

It threw a sink through the wall and ran off.

Yes it's in my top ten. Is at 105 on that silly list! Rear Window at 103!! Another list that proves the public do not know the difference between best and favourite. :(

I wouldn't vote on anything because it is critically acclaimed or whatever. A good film has to be enjoyable, as well as well made.