Laughing Stock 2011 Page 24

Quote: Mr Krinkle @ March 28 2011, 8:27 PM BST

Considering that the script was:

a) Our first attempt at writing comedy at all, let alone as a writing pair, and...

b) It was written in 8 days, in order to make the deadline

Well done. But grudgingly, as the above facts made me sheep without the need for biscuits.

Dan

The rejection emails are out.

F*ck.

Can I just add something to that?

F*ck.

Got my rejection email......... Errr

I too am encouraged to have got this far though. This was also my first attempt at any sort of writing since school (aside shopping lists and the odd narcotic inventory). It took me two days and I'm now realising I should've at the very least doubled my efforts!

Hey ho, I guess my star on Hollywood Boulevard can wait another year.........

Best of luck to anyone who did get through Wave

Quote: Griff @ March 28 2011, 9:28 PM BST

For a first script written in 8 days to make the initial sift of LS is a great achievement. Enjoy the biscuits and on to the next one!

Cheers!

I think the concept is strong enough to warrant a rewrite and revisions, so that will definitely happen. Will keep on pouring out our comedic screeds... maybe one day they will be good enough.

Would love to hear from anyone who didn't fall at this hurdle, ie: what the masterclass is all about etc.

Quote: Mr Krinkle @ March 29 2011, 5:40 PM BST

Cheers!

I think the concept is strong enough to warrant a rewrite and revisions, so that will definitely happen. Will keep on pouring out our comedic screeds... maybe one day they will be good enough.

Would love to hear from anyone who didn't fall at this hurdle, ie: what the masterclass is all about etc.

I reckon, having failed to reach the top 10%, that it involves watching re-runs of My Family while some BBC exec screams "Write new episodes but don't change anything!"

Quote: Mr Krinkle @ March 29 2011, 5:40 PM BST

There does seem a wall of silence...

A rejection for me - that's week of self harm and drinking lighter fluid in a seedy underpass. Once I'm through all that I'll improve that script and see what happens..

Quote: Antrax @ March 29 2011, 5:58 PM BST

There does seem a wall of silence...

I think it's more that people are being winnowed out one by one - these rejection notes have come out steadily over the last three days - so most of the final 25 haven't been chosen yet (hence no formal announcement). I've only seen one person (a random tweet) saying they've got in, presumably all the judges were in agreement that they were the best script, lucky them!

Quote: andyblacksheep @ March 30 2011, 10:50 AM BST

I think it's more that people are being winnowed out one by one - these rejection notes have come out steadily over the last three days - so most of the final 25 haven't been chosen yet (hence no formal announcement). I've only seen one person (a random tweet) saying they've got in, presumably all the judges were in agreement that they were the best script, lucky them!

I'm pretty certain the final 26 have all been chosen, as I know of at least one other person beyond that tweeter who's through and there are certain contextual things that make me think that. That I won't go into, if that's ok, because it was confidential stuff in the email they got.

I have a sneaky feeling some people on the forum are through and are keeping quiet just for that confidentiality. Or just being unwilling to put their head above the parapet!

Fair enough! Our rejection came through about 15 mins after I posted that last one, so at least there's nothing wrong with my comic timing!

Quote: andyblacksheep @ March 30 2011, 10:50 AM BST

winnow verb; to separate from the chaff using air currents.

Wouldn't it make more sense to read the pieces and then decide...?

The shortlist is up. The first day (masterclass) was yesterday!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/2011/04/laughing_stock_masterclass.shtml

David Byrne, the sod.

Ok I love his music, but surely after a long career in music he doesn't need to be horning in on the open talent TV opps

Congratuations! I think I recognise a few names there, from the BCG.

That's the two I recognise too.

Dan