The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 77

Even though I didn't enter, I had a sneaking suspicion so checked the list anyway. What can I say? I'm an optimist!

Well done to those guys and dolls who made the cut for the varsity football team. Hit me a home run!

Quote: Ash Man @ March 15 2011, 2:10 PM GMT

I want Declan to give me his critical review on my script, it impressed The Laughing Stock @ The BBC but not him. I wonder why?

My mum liked mine. Lovey

Quote: StephenM @ March 15 2011, 11:53 AM GMT

I think this sums up what I'd like to have been able to say but couldn't thanks to spending three hours staring at a webpage and hitting refresh. And a crushing sense of disappointment.

So, I'll just echo Sarah's thoughts - well said!

Thank you. We who didn't get through this time didn't fail - we just wrote the first draft of a screenplay that will, after a bit more work, be selected next time (or maybe the time after next time, or maybe the time after the time after next time).

Quote: bluer than blue @ March 15 2011, 2:21 PM GMT

I'm the other way round, nothing from the BBC but on the sitcom mission long list and - not sure if I've already mentioned this :

http://www.uniontheatre.biz/#/short-and-sweet-comedy/4548592018

on at the Union Theatre Southwark starting tonight - until 9th APRIL

Russ

Congratulations, out of interest how long have you been writing ?

Quote: bushbaby @ March 15 2011, 11:42 AM GMT

Yes I was trying to encourage a youngster on here, never to give up, as he has years ahead of him; whereby I'm way over the hill and it's time to put my pen/paper to bed. :)

I wish everyone who got through all the best with it. This was my first time submitting a script to this competition and I am utterly gutted at not having had it selected.
<FX: sound of gun cocking and sound of footsteps padding down hall looking for remaining family members >
However, (stopping for a moment to reflect) maybe things aren't so bad. It strikes me that there's enough of a degree of randomness in the submission and review process that one should just write what one likes (so long as it's mechanically correct) and simply stuff it down as many people's throats as possible because in the end, if it's a half way competent idea, someone somewhere will eventually like it enough to commission it and stuff it down everyone else's throats. As evidence:

1. Who really knows what might play and what might not? (Script readers / judges use their skills / experience / judgement, not an absolute specification. They all differ.)
2. Who really knows what's funny and what isn't? (On this forum opinions (comfortingly) differ dramatically, even over well established and *successful* sitcoms (some which I can't stand).)
3. It's clear that bad structure, bad spelling, bad grammar, inconsistent naming / writing, inappropriate material, etc. etc. just serve to dis-improve (LOL) your chances.
4. Submitted subject matter is almost a lottery. ("No swearing, graphic violence or sex scenes. If it's incest, blackmail, lesbianism, homesexuality, bestiality ... terrific, put it in. If it's a land issue leave it out, it's boring." (Brian True-May) This is both true and false because it clearly is possible to write an entertaining drama or sitcom about a f**king great bad-ass land dispute littered with condoms.

Put another way, I used to know a bloke who would just wander around a nightclub asking everyone he met for a shag on the grounds that eventually he'd get lucky. Was he right?

<FX: sound of gun un-cocking >

VOICE OF YOUNG CHILD (O.S.)
Is that you Dad? Are the results in? Did you get through?

<FX: sound of gun cocking >

Think, I should've added the odd glass of salted water littered around, even drank it, and then the big finish: A rude word, maybe?

I don't know, if you look at the odds of it.
There was what 1200 scripts...ish?

From that you seen the guys emails about reading the same type of theme over and over again, or things that just wouldn't work.

So if you take those out, let's say that's half, which leaves 600 scripts.

Then you have the ones that were not written for theatre, which I'm sure some did, so maybe down to 550, say another 50 that weren't funny.

Honestly, if none of my scripts were not good from only 500, then I must be doing something really, really wrong or I just can't write comedy.

Or have I become too cynical overnight?

Yes it would be great to get feedback but it's unrealistic to ask the guys to send a reply back to everyone about what was wrong with each script. Gawd, even the late great Tony Hart wouldn't send back drawings to the one's sent in never mind be a critic for each one.

Here it is, procrastination helps aid the healing process

The adventures of Simon and Declan

ACT I

Scene 1

SIMON sits at his computer sifting through script submissions. He is close to suicide. He opens a script entitled 'wheels of fire' and groans. DECLAN enters wearing a spotty dog costume and pushing a wheelchair containing a Jeremy Clarkson Effigy.

DECLAN

What are you reading now, Simon?

SIMON

The straw that broke the camels back

DECLAN

That's a rather shrewd title

SIMON

Why do we put ourselves through this?

DECLAN

For the money, Simon. The lovely, lovely money. Leave that for a bit and come and watch telly with me and Jezza

SIMON

Jezza?

Declan

Yeah, check this out!

DECLAN presses a button on the front of the Jeremy Clarkson Effigy

JEZZA

Power!

SIMON

Classy. We can't watch telly, remember what happened last time?

DECLAN

You mean when you fell asleep during the welding scene in Flashdance?

SIMON

No when I let you talk me into watching Hudson Hawk on Betamax

DECLAN

Respect the classix, Dawg!

There is a sound of commotion outside

SIMON

What now?

DECLAN

It'll be the underlings, I told you it was a bad idea waiting til 23:59 to send the email.

SIMON

That was payback for having to read 300 odd couple flat share scripts where the main characters are called Nick and David

DECLAN

Fair one.

Suddenly the door bursts open. A horde of none speaking zombies move slowly enough into the room for our heroes to continue their dialogue

SIMON

You've got to be kidding me

DECLAN

Woof! Woof, woof, woof!

SIMON

What are you doing?

DECLAN

Zombies don't attack dogs. Did you think I was only wearing this costume for a one off sight gag?

SIMON

Can you concentrate on our tediously inevitable doom?

Even more suddenly a Humvee crashes through the scenery running down several none speaking zombies. FUTURE DECLAN emerges from the drivers seat.

FUTURE DECLAN

Come with me if you want to live

SIMON

Oh come on!

DECLAN

Hat trick are going to lay an egg!

The HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE enters furious

HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE

What's going on? I give you an inch and you take a bloody mile!

DECLAN

The script, it's out of control!

FUTURE DECLAN

Come on, we don't have much time

SIMON

Hang on, where am I?

FUTURE DECLAN

You didn't make it, mate

SIMON

I told you! I told you a million times, don't. mention. the. prize. money.

FUTURE DECLAN steps down from the Humvee and grabs DECLAN

DECLAN

We have to...oh poo!

A paradox occurs which involves lots of prohibitively expensive special effects. The stage is flooded with white light and the cast disappears.

JEZZA

All we know is, he's called The Stig!

ACT II

Scene I

INT. TAVERN - NIGHT

London 1893. DECLAN, SIMON and the HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE re-materialize in a swirl of flashing blue lights. Customers are sat around a piano singing modern songs in a music hall style.

SIMON

That's going to sting

HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE

You bloody imbeciles!

DECLAN

How did we end up here?

The music hall bunch start a rendition of "What's my name?" by Rhianna. A LOVABLE STREET URCHIN enters with his faithful pooch SCAMP

SIMON

No! No way!

LOVABLE STREET URCHIN

Good morrow me fine fellows. How did such bizarre looking gentlemen as yourselves end up frequenting this establishment.

DECLAN

Stop! You're ruining us!

LOVABLE STREET URCHIN

But I still hasn't delivered me soliloquy!

DECLAN

The rules were clear, no animals, no kids.

LOVABLE STREET URCHIN

But I've been training Scamp up all week, he's dead good at tricks, watch.

SCAMP performs a display of perfectly co-ordinated tricks

SIMON

Just tell us how to get back to 2011.

LOVABLE STREET URCHIN

I knows just the gent to assist you in your quandry

DECLAN

We're finished!

Scene II

Ext. Street Night

SIMON, DECLAN, LOVABLE STREET URCHIN, SCAMP and an increasingly furious HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE turn into an alleyway. THE TARDIS stands before them.

DECLAN

(closes eyes)

Jesus wept!

THE TARDIS door opens and DAVID TENNANT steps out

SIMON

Look, Mr Hat Trick Executive, we can sort this out, I promise.

DAVID TENNANT

(bored voice)

Please state the nature of the temporal emergency.

DECLAN

We just need to get back to our own time, with as little CGI as possible.

DAVID TENNANT

That's not up to me, I just pull levers at random and spout nonsense until something happens

HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE

What are these clowns paying you?

DAVID TENNANT

Three hundred quid a line

SIMON

Hnngg!

HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE

Three hundred quid!!!

DAVID TENNANT

Yep!

SIMON

Please stop!

DAVID TENNANT

Step inside then, we'll get you back to your own time in yada, yada, yada. You know I couldn't be more disinterested

SIMON shudders and they all enter THE TARDIS

Act III

Scene I

INT. BIODOME - DAY

The Orb of Sanctuary 2534. THE TARDIS re-materializes in a lush and beautiful park. Genetically perfect human beings stroll amongst the grounds. SIMON, DECLAN and the HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE exit THE TARDIS which de-materilizes.

DECLAN

This isn't the office!

HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE

I knew this was a mistake. "Nurture young talent" you said "Next big thing" my arse!

A genetically perfect couple approach the group.

BUSHBABY

Welcome, travellers

STEPHENM

Yes, welcome to our paradise

SIMON

Look, we don't have much time and no money, we need to get back to 2011

STEPHENM

It sounds like you need to speak to The Orb

DECLAN

The Orb?

BUSHBABY

Yes, The Orb of Enlightenment, follow us.

HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE

This sounds expensive

Scene II

SIMON, DECLAN, BUSHBABY, STEPHENM and the HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE enter a large atrium. The ORB OF ENLIGHTENMENT a large golden ball of throbbing energy hovers in the middle of the room.

HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE

That's it, I've had enough!

DECLAN

Can't we just see what it's got to say? It's on the stage now, damage done.

ORB OF ENLIGHTENMENT

State your request, travellers.

SIMON

We wish to return to our own time.

ORB OF ENLIGHTENMENT

Step forward and I shall find your answer

SIMON steps towards the ORB OF ENLIGHTENMENT

ORB OF ENLIGHTENMENT

Behold! Your dreams!

A holographic 3D video sequence is projected in the middle of the stage, visualising the 1241 scripts SIMON has read.

HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE

I'm pulling the plug!

DECLAN

Wait, no!

The HAT TRICK EXECUTIVE pulls a contract from his inside pocket and tears it in half. The Atrium disappears and SIMON and DECLAN are left stood in their office. JEZZA and the Humvee are still there.

DECLAN

We're back!

SIMON

Thank Christ for that!

There is a ominous knock at the door and THE BALIFF enters

THE BALIFF

Good afternoon, gentlemen. I'm here on behalf of your creditors to collect some unpaid debts.

SIMON

What creditors?

THE BALIFF

Let's see. Mr Tennants agent, Hat Trick Productions, National car rental and the Wooton Basset dog agility club.

DECLAN

But we're broke!

THE BALIFF

Then I shall have to take your possessions. Starting with that computer

SIMON

Take it, please.

THE BALIFF

I'll be needing that costume as well

ACT IV

Scene I

INT. OFFICE - NIGHT

DECLAN, now wearing his Homer Simpson boxer shorts and a vest and SIMON are hammering a piece of wood over the hole in the wall. DECLANS phone rings and he answers it.

DECLAN

Hello? Oh hello James Parker of the Sitcom Trials. What? Do we want to help you judge the next series of Sitcom Trials? Hang on. I'll just ask Simon. It's James, he wants to know if we'll help him judge the next series of the Sitcom Trials.

SIMON

After what we've just been through? I'd rather eat glass!

DECLAN

I'm sorry James but he says it's a no. Okay, Bye!

SIMON

Well that's a bullet dodged. What do we do now?

DECLAN

Maybe we could have a go at writing messages for greeting cards

SIMON

You know, that sounds pretty safe

Suddenly, due to budgeting issues, a L reg Corsa crashes through the scenery. FUTURE SIMON and FUTURE DECLAN step out

FUTURE DECLAN

You did it guys, you changed our fate, we're free!

SIMON

And I made it

FUTURE SIMON

Too right you did buddy, put it there!

SIMON and FUTURE SIMON high five.

FUTURE DECLAN

No!

THE CAST dissapear in a pitiful puff of smoke

JEZZA

And on that bombshell, it's time to end the show, goodnight.

END

Needs a bit of salt.

I thought David Tennant delivered a really good performance in that scene.

Quote: Lee Brown @ March 15 2011, 2:46 PM GMT

Honestly, if none of my scripts were not good from only 500, then I must be doing something really, really wrong or I just can't write comedy.

Of those 500 you picked you are saying you are sure that your script is better than at least 469 of them or else you can't write comedy. Seems an odd analysis.

Hi Marc,

Both I suppose, if any of us didn't think that our scripts were better than others than we wouldn't have entered them in the first place. Just like when you place a bet on a horse, you only bet on it because you think it has a good chance of winning, otherwise why would you bet on it?

If it doesn't win then surely it's only fair to say it wasn't as good as the others placed in front of it.

Why is that odd, I thought it was being realistic?

Quote: Lee Brown @ March 15 2011, 3:07 PM GMT

Hi Marc,

Both I suppose, if any of us didn't think that our scripts were better than others than we wouldn't have entered them in the first place. Just like when you place a bet on a horse, you only bet on it because you think it has a good chance of winning, otherwise why would you bet on it?

If it doesn't win then surely it's only fair to say it wasn't as good as the others placed in front of it.

Why is that odd, I thought it was being realistic?

You can't equate being shortlisted to 32 out of over 1200 to a horse race. Because in an ideal race.. the fastest horse wins. In a classic anyway. Different factors apply here. As they do in television proper - and it is not a meritocracy that world. I have no way of knowing if my script was better than others because I didn't read any of the others. It was a cracking script mind. :) It didn't win through to the next stage as you say because it wasn't picked. I'm not about to say it wasn't as good as the others because it wasn't me doing the picking. :)

I've always felt, If I can't be good at something, why bother doing it. In truth, that's what I feel about anything creative, illustration, writing...playing the bagpipes. Who wants to hear something that doesn't reach the mark. Apart from your mum.

Quote: Lee Brown @ March 15 2011, 2:46 PM GMT

Or have I become too cynical overnight?

For all you know, your script could have been the 33rd best sitcom in their minds. And even then, their tastes could be completely different to what you wrote.

This was the first time I sent a script out... but I KNOW that my sitcom is funny. It makes me laugh.

I wouldn't have sent it in otherwise. And I will continue to shop it around.

Just spend some time reading through commissioned scripts (especially on the BBC) and you will see how much rubbish gets commissioned by out of touch producers/commissioners. It will make you feel a lot better about your own work, even if YOUR stuff is also rubbish.