The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 76

Quote: sarahbean @ March 15 2011, 7:31 AM GMT

I didn't get through but in entering this competition I did finally get my sitcom idea out of my head and on to a piece of paper. Thank you to Declan and Simon for making this happen - because of you hundreds of people to put their heart and soul in to writing a sitcom - you have done a very good thing for the world.

And thank you to all the dedicated and passionate people on this forum who have the guts to pursue their ambitions (and inspired me to do the same). We make ourselves vulnerable when we put so much work in to something and then send it out in to the world to be judged - but no pain, no gain. We'll chuckle about all this one day when we finally rule the airwaves with our creations.

I think this sums up what I'd like to have been able to say but couldn't thanks to spending three hours staring at a webpage and hitting refresh. And a crushing sense of disappointment.

So, I'll just echo Sarah's thoughts - well said!

Quote: bushbaby @ March 15 2011, 11:42 AM GMT

Yes I was trying to encourage a youngster on here, never to give up, as he has years ahead of him; whereby I'm way over the hill and it's time to put my pen/paper to bed. :)

No one's over the hill in this game!

I suppose it's a question of whether you still enjoy it. Don't stop if you enjoy the creative process.

It's always a question of whether you enjoy it or not. Fail isn't the word here. If there is a more subjective and bizarre world than that of sitcom development I don't know of it. This is/was a chance to get your work out there in front of an audience. There are others, lots of them really. Most people working in any sphere are not usually doing it because of a competition. I hope surgeons aren't anyway.

It's also important to remember that any competition that relies on two people speed-reading 1200 scripts is, with the best will in the world, a lottery.

To the unlucky 1,168 out there (myself included) just remember that, if 'Friday Night Dinner' can get on Channel 4 then there's hope for each and every one of us.

Congrats to those who made the long list, "Onwards!" to those who didn't. I would love to come to one of the Workshops. I will come down if need be but I was just wondering if there were any plans for coming north of the border, during the Edinburgh Festival perhaps?

Just seen the list and don't recognise any names. Well done anyway but looks like we are all losers. Maybe worth teaming up to combine our talents. Remember the team written script years ago?

Chappers, perhaps go back a few pages and read the celebrations of the successful members of the forum.

Quote: mightywombat @ March 15 2011, 7:19 AM GMT

I wrote Night Library! So thank you muchly.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to all the BCGers. Your comments have sustained me through the last few weeks. Better go look at the next 2 scripts...

Hurrah! Good luck with the next stage, mightywombat.

Quote: KLRiley @ March 15 2011, 1:36 PM GMT

Chappers, perhaps go back a few pages and read the celebrations of the successful members of the forum.

About 30 pages had passed since I last read this thread so I wasn't going to read it all. Who were succesful then? Any long time members?

Hi All,

I just wanted to say a big Thank you to Declan and Simon for this chance they have given to us all and for putting the time in, not just with reading all the script which is a feat upon itself but also the leg work behind the scenes. There should be more people in the world trying to make others dreams come true.

To the lucky 32, well done to each and every one of you. You all must have talent to get through this process, keep it going and good luck with the future.

To the unlucky one's, I stand among you. I entered 3 scripts and thought at least 1 would have shone through, but apparently not, which makes me realise maybe I don't have the talent in the first place. However I am with Chappers last email about maybe writing with someone else. I am always open to offers for anyone to write with. I have done some sitcom writing courses and read several books about the subject, also wrote about 5 scripts as well as trying to get an agent to get a book published at the moment, so not totally green with the process. If anyone is interested, just whistle, you know how to whistle don't you? Then again it might be easier just to email.

Quote: Chappers @ March 15 2011, 1:55 PM GMT

About 30 pages had passed since I last read this thread so I wasn't going to read it all. Who were succesful then? Any long time members?

Griff.

Just caught up with this congrats to everyone and err, Griff!

:)

I want Declan to give me his critical review on my script, it impressed The Laughing Stock @ The BBC but not him. I wonder why?

Hi to all! Congratulations to everyone on the list. :) I'm new to writing. I did have a shot at this years competition, but obviously it did not make the grade. No real surprise, but we live in hope or else why bother.I'm sure like most, I would be keen on reading scripts that did get through from previous years. Is this possible? Scotland