The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 73

Congratulations to those who got through, especially those who sat through today's vigil, supporting each other on here. Commiserations to my fellow rejects. I'm old enough to remember the days when you sent a script in an envelope and waited for the postman to bring it back in your sae. Some of my saes are still out there somewhere. Modern communication is amazing, actually being able to follow the progress of the decision makers live on line and share the experience with other hopefuls and not so hopefuls. In case anyone noticed me pass through earlier today with my partially defrosted chicken, no, that didn't make it through, any more than the full sized train carriage (presumably) did. No e-mail yet. Would so love to know whether Wild Geese came 33rd or 1243rd but I suppose I never will.

BTW I tried to watch Mrs Brown's Boys for the first time tonight and only tolerated 3 minutes of it.

well, I just threw the other two eps I wrote in the bin.
I see there's about 24 men writers to 8 women, interesting

Quote: bushbaby @ March 15 2011, 12:43 AM GMT

well, I just threw the other two eps I wrote in the bin

I didn't even think about a second episode (Didn't read the rules properly).

:P

You shouldn't give in so easily... the guys could have easily missed a few great scripts after hours and hours of reading utter nonsense.

Quote: bushbaby @ March 15 2011, 12:43 AM GMT

well, I just threw the other two eps I wrote in the bin.
I see there's about 24 men writers to 8 women, interesting

About a third of the scripts that we get sent are by women, so that explains it. There's no bias, just fewer women writers. At the moment.

Plus there's one or two non gender specific names. But I think that's a decent ratio. If there were no women at all on the longlist you'd have grounds for suspicion.

I rather like the sound of Night Library.
(And Zoodunnit).

Quote: simon wright @ March 15 2011, 1:49 AM GMT

About a third of the scripts that we get sent are by women, so that explains it. There's no bias, just fewer women writers. At the moment.

Oh, I see

Devastated, just told the kids they won't be getting a share of the five grand as daddy wasn't funny enough on paper. They just looked at me with huge disappointment and said; "don't worry daddy you're still funnier than Mr Tumble (cbeebies)". Noose at the ready.

And so a new day dawns, and with it comes the bitter sweet messenger that so eloquently and patiently announces, in Verdana 10, that "YOU SUCK!".

On the bright side, I don't have to shed three varieties of bodily fluids in a desperate attempt to write two more episodes in 4 weeks!!!

Many congratulations to the 32 who have made it to the next round and may your creative juices not let you down.

Good luck!

Just had a Michael Caine moment, this end...

...Hang on, lads, I've got a great idea!

Well done the 32.

Quote: zooo @ March 15 2011, 1:57 AM GMT

Plus there's one or two non gender specific names. But I think that's a decent ratio. If there were no women at all on the longlist you'd have grounds for suspicion.

(And Zoodunnit).

I wrote Night Library! So thank you muchly.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to all the BCGers. Your comments have sustained me through the last few weeks. Better go look at the next 2 scripts...

Of all the titles of the 32 that got through, the following have captured my immediate attention:

The Museum of Things
Crime Hammer
Four Women of the Apocalypse
Night Library

Not that the others aren't fascinating, but I find these ones intriguing.

I didn't get through but in entering this competition I did finally get my sitcom idea out of my head and on to a piece of paper. Thank you to Declan and Simon for making this happen - because of you hundreds of people to put their heart and soul in to writing a sitcom - you have done a very good thing for the world.

And thank you to all the dedicated and passionate people on this forum who have the guts to pursue their ambitions (and inspired me to do the same). We make ourselves vulnerable when we put so much work in to something and then send it out in to the world to be judged - but no pain, no gain. We'll chuckle about all this one day when we finally rule the airwaves with our creations.

Well done all. I just hope that something makes it and starts to clear the dross that is commissioned by the current crop of execs because its by the established and seen as safe. Safe doesn't mean funny.
Happy writing guys.

Thanks to Declan and Simon. I hope you still have some vestiges of sanity left.

Back to the day job, which ironically is writing. Just not stuff that anyone in their right mind would read by choice.

(Silently weeps over shattered and broken dreams but holds on the fact that at least I tried. But still can't punctuate properly.)

Congratulations to all those that made it.

I'm going to finish my 'Adventures of Declan and Simon' and submit it as a gift to the lads for their hard work.

Then work on something that's actually funny for next year.

Quote: zooo @ March 15 2011, 1:57 AM GMT

(And Zoodunnit).

I like that too, Zooo
Good luck to the 32