The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 80

Declan, yeah I would be up for that. If you do get something put together that would be great.

Hi to all. I just put my failed effort up on the critique forum, if you want a 'laugh.' It is my first go at this, so apologies from the start. Wave

Feeling Rejected? Don't throw that hilarious script into the bin! Recycle it and your pride by sending it to Humorous-Free-Scripts.com - where it will be made available for schools, colleges, small amateur theatres etc to use. It might also be included in one of the script ebooks currently planned . . .

Nine of the scripts came through our workshops.

Quote: Declan @ March 15 2011, 6:32 PM GMT

4) If anyone wants to sign up to our Help! I've Written A Script workshop, they will certainly get my and Simon's feedback, along with an MP3 of their script read out by professional actors and feedback from the actors and their writing peers. Let us know if you're interested and we'll arrange some for the coming months.

Declan - is that available remotely - through Skype?

Right. I cede to no man (or woman) in their bitterness at this result, but lets get some perspective.

Quote: Ash Man @ March 15 2011, 2:10 PM GMT

I want Declan to give me his critical review on my script, it impressed The Laughing Stock @ The BBC but not him. I wonder why?

Why don't you want the BBC to explain why they let it through when Declan obviously saw straight through it? how do you know who is "right"? Neither of them owe you (or me) an explanation, although one would be helpful if you are prepared to listen (but not just to roll over).

Yes we all think our stuff is great, some may be more right than others but the problem here as the more sensible contributors are saying is that this is NOT a horse race. It might be closer to a beauty contest (sorry for the image in the heads of those who know a number of BSGers) where it is very much in the eye of the beholder. And don't forget that both Sitcommission and BBC are seeking to serve their perceived markets. Would they select something they thought brilliant but uncommissionable? I doubt it. In their place I'm not sure I would.

Quote: Derry Dee @ March 15 2011, 3:53 PM GMT

I agree, but I have also had work published in the past (this is my first sitcom ).

And I think I know when something is not funny... I've been throwing my other scripts out for years now!

I'm only starting out here (in my twenties), and might come over a little cocky, but I genuinely think this script is the dog's gonads. I wouldn't have sent it in otherwise.

I was convinced mine was the dogs bollocks too...maybe we were one bollock each?
Or possibly just bollocks.

Or maybe the dog was missing.

Quote: chipolata @ March 15 2011, 6:51 PM GMT

I'd be interested to know how many of the finalists attended the workshops.

I understand that Chip, but be careful what you infer. Taking it to a workshop might just be an indicator of a more serious approach. I spend a lot of time telling companies to get closer to their customers...does that not apply to writers. not that it helped me but I expect a refund is on the way..eh Declan?

I don't know if you were implying bias, but that is not the only conclusion that could be drawn from a strong correlation -which appears not to be there anyway. Probably not great marketing there Dec.

Quote: chipolata @ March 15 2011, 6:51 PM GMT

I'd be interested to know how many of the finalists attended the workshops.

I attended one of the workshops last year and learned a tremendous amount, but that attendance didn't automatically get my re-written sitcom on the short list.
I would recommend the workshops to everyone who wants to improve their writing in the sitcom genre. There is so much to learn and it's not just about being funny. :) IMO, being funny is the easiest bit

Quote: JJ Cocker @ March 15 2011, 3:55 PM GMT

I really wish you hadn't tried to justify the results against gender of entrants as the statistical analyst, in me, is now very sceptical. Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

I feel a little guilty here because it was me that mentioned the number of men as opposed to women on the short list. I just thought it interesting and then Simon or Declan said, only about a third of the entries were written by women. :)

I implied nothing. Your suspicious minds inferred. Bloody inferrers!

I've went to one of the Steve Bull sitcom courses, would these courses be any different?

The ex-Wolves striker? Yes, they probably are.

Dan

Sorry Chip. I was using infer in the statistical sense...as in 'infer from the data'. I'm not sure which one of us could be inferred to be the sadder from this exchange (I'm trying to imply it's not me).

Quote: swerytd @ March 15 2011, 7:44 PM GMT

The ex-Wolves striker? Yes, they probably are.

Dan

I see declan as more of a silky smooth midfield maestro and Si his combative enforcer. So neither would fit the classic blood and thunder No 9 battering ram as personified by Steve Bull.

Quote: Lee Brown @ March 15 2011, 7:43 PM GMT

I've went to one of the Steve Bull sitcom courses, would these courses be any different?

The whole focus is on the piece. It gets read through by professional actors, recorded for your later reference and then the other writers, Simon and Declan and the actors give you feedback. Any spare time (1 hour each writer/script) is used for you to try other approaches or do anything you want (within reason) with the actors. I guess this is probably not the usual approach in a comedy course.

Quote: chipolata @ March 15 2011, 12:55 PM GMT

It's also important to remember that any competition that relies on two people speed-reading 1200 scripts is, with the best will in the world, a lottery.

We didn't speed-read the good ones. We savoured those.

How much time a reader spends on your script is entirely in your hands. Give him a hook, an interesting premise, original characters and at least a couple of laughs in the first two pages and he'll take his time over it.

I did.

The result of a lottery is out of your hands, the result of writing contest is very much under your control.

Quote: simon wright @ March 15 2011, 8:02 PM GMT

We didn't speed-read the good ones. We savoured those.

How much time a reader spends on your script is entirely in your hands. Give him a hook, an interesting premise, original characters and at least a couple of laughs in the first two pages and he'll take his time over it.

I did.

The result of a lottery is out of your hands, the result of writing contest is very much under your control.

I knew it you sped read mine!

I'm up for a workshop. With a rewrite an mp3 of my sitcom would be extremely useful.

Dan

Got out of the chair yet Dan? ;)