Female comedians Page 15

Jenny Eclair is my favourite.

I like her specs.

Is she actually a woman?

She isn't very feminine.

Lol. Stop stirring.

If I was a rapper I'd be TSpoon

Went to a comedy night the other night where certainly the one lady comic was best.

Just a nice, well structured set with clever gags and good timing.

Good comedy, is good comedy.

Quote: sootyj @ January 3 2011, 12:04 PM GMT

*applauds*

Victoria Wood is the only comedienne who makes me laugh, through stand-up alone. Liked Miranda, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Seinfeld etc, which is good of me.

Heh.

Do you watch a lot of stand up?

Quote: Millsy @ January 3 2011, 2:04 PM GMT

Victoria Wood is the only comedienne who makes me laugh, through stand-up alone. Liked Miranda, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Seinfeld etc, which is good of me.

But do you go and see a lot of stand up? Or do you mean on the telly?

I'm going to pretend Kipper hasn't posted here- the little vein in the side of my head is twitching again :)

Quote: sootyj @ January 3 2011, 12:04 PM GMT

This.

Can't claim to be a coinesseur but I like to feel I've seen him enough to form a worthwhile opinion. A lot of female acts have the air of "I know it's not normal for me to be doing this" that I can't look past.

Care to expand?

I think most modern comedy is a bit too diffuse and observational for my taste. My tastes are stuck firmly in the angry 80s and 90s.

There's way too much "I'm wacky, sad or really gross" for my tastes and not nearly enough "I'm funny." And gag listers like Jimmy Carr just bore after 15 minutes.

Comedy is much closer to story telling for me. And I like listening to someone who has something to say.

I'd love to be able to "get into" more female comics, but it's very easy to be put off by the endless, endless jokes about periods.

I mean, I understand, you're female, you have periods. I get that.

But why you feel the need to fill your entire set with endless, relentless, interminable jokes about periods?

Surely there are other things to talk about? Why just periods all the time?

Sad to say I can't really see female comedians becoming accepted until they give up with all the period nonsense.

Quote: Millsy @ January 3 2011, 4:38 PM GMT

Can't claim to be a coinesseur but I like to feel I've seen him enough to form a worthwhile opinion. A lot of female acts have the air of "I know it's not normal for me to be doing this" that I can't look past.

I think there is a stereotypical view of comedians on both sides of the gender gap in this thread that is starting to annoy me.

For what it's worth I'm a bloke (I think). But much of my stnadup is based on being fat, shy and a crap standup. I don't think I've ever made a joke about poo or wanking on stage (albeit I stick them in my skits all the time).

I do frequently do an excellent gag about a racist being beaten to death with his own cock by a chimpanzee.

But it's germane to the material and politically relevant.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 3 2011, 4:46 PM GMT

I'd love to be able to "get into" more female comics, but it's very easy to be put off by the endless, endless jokes about kevin murphy.

I mean, I understand, you're female, you have periods. I get that.

But why you feel the need to fill your entire set with endless, relentless, interminable joks about kevin murphy?

Surely there are other things to talk about? Why just kevin murphy all the time?

Sad to say I can't really see female comedians becoming accepted until they give up with all the kevin murphy nonsense.

Well Kevin when you agree to be a little less damned sexy they may stop mentioning you.