Best one-off characters?

This thread will probably die on its arse, but here goes. What are peoples favourite characters that appeared once and once only in a sitcom?

Mine has to be Jed Maxwell from I'm Alan Partridge, the deranged stalker with a scary room filled with Partridge memorabilia... In fact, Partridge is one of the best shows for truly memorable one off characters. In that same first series, we also meet Kevin Eldon's Laughing Yet Racist Hotel Guest, who laughs at everything and anything, then complains about their being two many blacks. Back of the net!

One of my other favourites is the Deaf Old Woman from Fawlty Towers, who prompts Basil to do his classic spiel about Torquay and herds of sweeping wilderbeest.

Mrs Richards. First one that sprang to mind when I read the thread topic! :D

i don't think i can top yours jason.
jed should have his own show.

Quote: Jason Kindred @ November 29, 2007, 4:13 PM

I haven't seen the actor who played him in anything else, either. Which is a shame, because he was excellent in that.

Link to Ian Sharrock's IMDb page

Craig Ferguson as Confidence in Red Dwarf (mentioned recently in another thread)
Celia Imrie as Mrs Begg in s02e04 Still Game

This is tough since they need to be memorable without having been made recurrent

/obvious

The Driscol brothers in OFAH. And from the same sitcom, Tony Angelino, "you have an ism Mr Twotter".

Quote: Aljado @ November 29, 2007, 4:46 PM

Link to Ian Sharrock's IMDb page

He was in “Scum” must go back and watch that film and see if I can spot him.

Quote: Ray Dawson @ November 29, 2007, 5:06 PM

The Driscol brothers in OFAH.

Not really one-offs though, were they?

The Driscol brothers were mentioned many times, but i think they only appeared in the one episode. Little problems, also one episode of green, green grass.

Jed and Mrs Richards are great choices. This is a nice thread idea! Some more ideas off the top of my head:
Simon the IT support guy in The Office, played by Matthew Holness.
Leonard Rossiter's escaped convict in Steptoe and Son.
Several Bilko one-offs, including "The Twitcher" and "The Old Fox"
The French chef at Larry David's restaurant in the finale of Curb season 3.

Quote: Badge @ November 30, 2007, 1:22 AM

Simon the IT support guy in The Office, played by Matthew Holness

Oh great shout. Badge wins the thread

Frank Grimes from The Simpsons - although he preferred to be called Grimey. I'm hoping they didn't find a way to bring him back in later series, because I stopped watching The Simpsons about five years ago.

Actually, Partridge is a great sitcom for memorable one-off characters. I don't think there was one duff guest from Knowing Me, Knowing You (my favourite was the Miss Whippyhead, the ludicrous fashion designer). And special mention must go to Dan Moody from the second series of I'm Alan Partridge.

Also, the IT Guy from the second series of The Office.

Another great one-off character is Uncle Jack, in Arrested Development. Played by Martin Short, he was a ninety year old crippled fitness guru that drooled. I know, from the DVD commentary, that a lot of fans were unhappy with him, but I loved him, and think his episode is the stand out from Season 2.

Agree with the two from Alan Partridge. Also have to mention the conservative MP 'Slaphead' and Tony Le Mesmer (both played by David Schneider) There was a brainbox kid from the radio version who Alan tried to outsmart the whole of the way through the interview who was also very good too. They may have tried to replicate that episode on TV, not sure, but the radio one with him in was brilliant. Go along with Leonard Rossiter and the IT guy from The Office.

Think there was an older barman in Cheers one time too. Only in it for one episode but he helped everyone with their problems and they all loved him. Not sure if Woody came back and replaced him or he just went somewhere else. But I seem to recall all the regulars were so sad he left.

'Eddie' -- Chandler's psychotic room-mate in Friends could be interesting.

I reckon Dan Ashcroft's alter-ego 'Preacherman' has *great* spin-off potential...

Dan

I liked the character Stephen Merchant played in Green Wing.

Quote: swerytd @ November 30, 2007, 11:09 AM

'Eddie' -- Chandler's psychotic room-mate in Friends could be interesting.

I reckon Dan Ashcroft's alter-ego 'Preacherman' has *great* spin-off potential...

Dan

I loved both of those!!!