Best one-off characters? Page 3

Hi I'm new.

How about Philip Madoc playing the u-boat captain in Dad's Army?

Not necessarily a hiliarious character but he's pretty much immortalised by the 'Don't tell him Pike' scene.

Milk man Pat Mustard

He's the hairy baby maker

Welcome to the site, Greg. :)

Hello Greg. Good spot.

A couple that I would pick would be Percy Spillinger in Reg Perrin and Cassandra's boss in OFAH, Not because he's particularly funny himself but because the scenes with him in are so good.

From 'Knowing Me, Knowing You': Joe Beasley & Cheeky Monkey.

Another fantastic Jon Thompson creation.

Quote: chipolata @ November 30, 2007, 10:34 AM

Another great one-off character is Uncle Jack, in Arrested Development. Played by Martin Short, he was a ninety year old crippled fitness guru that drooled. I know, from the DVD commentary, that a lot of fans were unhappy with him, but I loved him, and think his episode is the stand out from Season 2.

Wasn't that character based on a real person? I think his name is Jack Lelane, and he is an old movie star, who is now about 90, but was the Arnold Schwarzenegger of his day. He also appeared in The Simpsons, when the boat full of the old people from the retirement home got lost at sea, and he swam to shore, pulling the boat by a rope that he had between his teeth. The reason they made fun of him, on Arrested Development, is because he still appears on T.V. in America, giving fitness advice, even though he is so old.

Brigidier Blastasump in the Kids Today episode of The Thin Blue Line was great, he was played by Stephen Fry.

Quote: Mick Green @ February 12 2008, 12:20 PM GMT

From 'Knowing Me, Knowing You': Joe Beasley & Cheeky Monkey.

I'd forgotten about them, they were great. Worth a series all of their own.

John Thompson should have his own comedy show outright. A brilliant comedy talent.

Does Lord Flashheart count? (Blackadder)

Mr.Rotwieler in the 'gas' episode of Bottom.

In Knowing Me, Knowing Yule with Alan Partridge I really liked Gordon Heron the ex pro golfer played by Patrick Marber. Great performance.

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ May 19 2008, 7:04 AM BST

Does Lord Flashheart count? (Blackadder)

Mr.Rotwieler in the 'gas' episode of Bottom.

He made appearances in two series though if memory serves me correct so I'm not sure it'll count, but if it does I'd probably pick him too he was great.

"Just because I'm packing the sort of tackle you usually see swinging between the legs of a Grand National winner.."

If he doesn't count I'm going for Dan Moody in Alan Partridge.

"Voodoo"
"Java"

How about Senator John Glenn as himself in an episode of Frasier?

Well written, well performed. He made an excellent job of....er....being himself.

I agree Flasheart is one of the best one off characters in a sitcom

but I also like Macgowan who was plaed by the great Michael Elphick in Auf Weidersehen series 1