Best one-off characters? Page 4

Bobb Hobbs the undertaker in Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie 'Stiff'

O'Riley in Fawlty Towers 'The builders'

and

Doctor Johnson in Black Adder 'Ink and inkability'

Quote: Griff @ May 27 2008, 11:43 AM BST

Dr.Johnson in Ink and Incapability was absolutely superb. That is probably my favourite Blackadder episode ever.

Sausage!

Quote: Griff @ May 27 2008, 11:43 AM BST

Dr.Johnson in Ink and Incapability was absolutely superb. That is probably my favourite Blackadder episode ever.

I love Blackadders dry wit.

Baldrick, believe me, eternity in the company of Beelzebub and all his hellish instruments of death will be a picnic compared to five minutes with me and this pencil if we can't replace this dictionary

I have only skimmed this, but I do not think I have seen a reference to Leonard Rossiter in "The Desperate Hours" (Steptoe and Son).

Otherwise Tom Baker as Captain Rum is a good call.

There were some great one off turns in Porridge as well, Alun Armstrong, Philip Madoc and Dudley Sutton spring to mind.

Lord Flashheart from "Blackadder". Although practically the exact same, they were two different one-off characters so, you know, if the shoe fits...

O'Relly in "Fawlty Towers" is an absolute legend, as is David Kelly who played him. I had the pleasure of meeting him this February. One of the nicest and classiest men that I've ever met.

Quote: Timbo @ May 27 2008, 4:04 PM BST

I have only skimmed this, but I do not think I have seen a reference to Leonard Rossiter in "The Desperate Hours" (Steptoe and Son).

I refer the Hon. gentleman, etc.

Quote: Badge @ November 30 2007, 1:22 AM GMT

Leonard Rossiter's escaped convict in Steptoe and Son.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ February 11 2008, 10:04 PM GMT

I'm tempted to say Ace Rimmer but that wouldn't quite fit the spirit of the thread...

Ok, I'll go for Simon Pegg's appearance as the evil yuppy manager of Goliath Books in one episode of Black Books.

"Who is the rudderless hippy? Has he got a hunting knife strapped to his shin?"

I'd go with Dan Moody from Alan Partridge, partly because he is played by Stephen Mangan.

I'd also like to add Owen McLove from Father Ted.

Father Liam Finegan - The Dancing Priest in Father Ted

Not sure if it's been mentioned but from Seinfeld season 9 - Puddy.

For me, my all time favourite guest star. Patrick Warburton is ace.

Quote: Alan C @ June 14 2008, 1:31 PM BST

Father Liam Finegan - The Dancing Priest in Father Ted

He died. Teary
Does Luke Rattigan from Dr Who count? (ok, not strictly sit-com....)

Quote: Seefacts @ June 14 2008, 2:22 PM BST

Without Warburton The Venture Brothers would be about half as entertaining as it is.

I thought Simon Pegg in Black Books was brilliant.

Quote: feck, arse, drink, girls, gobshite @ June 14 2008, 4:30 PM BST

I thought Simon Pegg in Black Books was brilliant.

He was very good.

WHat a great thread. Father Stone is a great call, most of the genius cameos have been covered but I enjoyed Spooner and Seymour on Rising Damp as well as the Brian Glover character in the likely Lads. The there is Tony Angelino in OFAH 'Cwwwyiiing...over you'....' Gold.

Quote: Seefacts @ June 14 2008, 2:22 PM BST

Not sure if it's been mentioned but from Seinfeld season 9 - Puddy.

Not really a one off character though, he was in several episodes. Though yes he was brilliant.

I always like Kevin Eldon's turn as the clean freak in Black Books.