Reggie Perrin - Series 2 Page 2

But surely its a cheap 'cop-out'?

So much for originality - typical BBC.

Riding on the name of a phenomenon is risky, bold and cheeky - especially if the pretender is - lets be fair - pretty bland fayre.

An 'also ran' for me.

Quote: Juan Kerr @ October 15 2010, 11:37 PM BST

But surely its a cheap 'cop-out'?

So much for originality - typical BBC.

Riding on the name of a phenomenon is risky, bold and cheeky - especially if the pretender is - lets be fair - pretty bland fayre.

An 'also ran' for me.

It's a cop-out to produce a show with the same name and premise as a comedy classic but then it will always be compared to that classic. Swings and roundabouts.

This should be the series where he fakes his own death and returns under the name Martin Wellborn

Yeah, it all seems a bit half-hearted to be honest and a bit bolted together. I mean, it's still funny and I like it but just doesn't seem to flow from one thing to the other or concentrate on one specific thing. That might just be this episode 'setting the scene' but let's be honest, it's the seventh scene-setting episode now!

A lot of Faye Ripley's lines seem to be gags that aren't getting laughs. I'm wondering if it's a problem with delivery, editing or an audience that just don't get it?

Dan

Nye has rewritten the wife as an independent modern woman, and Ripley is playing the part this way. I think it jars against the premise. Her frustration with Reggie makes him seem more pathetic so her lines come across as spiky rather than funny.

I saw the first fifteen minutes of it, as I saw the firts series. But this episode was unforgivably unwatchable. I had to switch it off. It didn't move me in any way - I didn't feel any emotion while watching it: no heart-warms, no chuckles, no sympathy, no empathy - nothing. It was the definition of blandness.

I enjoyed this episode (as I did the first series) and was happy to see Lucy Liemann return for the second series. I had seen most of the rest of the cast listed as returning, but not Lucy.

Well I rather enjoyed this. Interesting narrative.

I found the first series bland and clunky. The first of Series #2 actually seemed to flow, the annoying characters (pretty much the office bunch) are less in evidence and I enjoyed the fantasy revenge sequences. Thought the tortoises humping was a decent sight gag as well as a possible tip of the hat to One Foot in the Grave :)

I prefer just watching the fantasy revenge sequences. Why does something tell me that those are the bits created by Nobbs?

Hmmm. I'm quite enjoying series two. It's nothing ground-breaking, but seeing as it's better than most of the stuff around at the minute, I'll happily take it.

Is it just me or does Fay Ripley play the same character in everything though? I never realised that she used to be in a Tesco Direct advert with Martin Clunes - playing his wife, no less...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQS-GvKYgzs

I thought she played Mark Addy's wife? (If I'm remembering his name right.)

Different series of ads. There are certainly some with her and Addy.

Ohhh.
She gets around!

And of course Cold Feet.