Him & Her - Series 1 Page 7

I don't think many people liked this sitcom but I really hope there is another series.

It's interesting... and weird, with awkward situations and odd characters... sometimes is quite painful to watch, but other times is funny.
We have watched better sitcoms

I liked the series and would watch another, but have to say I don't like any of the characters. Don't find them likeable at all, and even the flat makes my skin crawl. Steve is probably the most likeable but even then he often comes across as a bit of a dick.

Maybe that's the point of it, though; supposed to make me feel uncomfortable. I'm far too middle-class.

On the whole I did like it though. There were some good laughs in it overall and I'd watch another series.

Stefan Golaszewski is ace though, if only cos he fought a bear in Cowards.

Dan

I tried to watch a bit of this again earlier - but it's genuinely unwatchable.

This is clearly one of the first post Gavin & Stacey projects to hit the screen and is an is an embarrassingly prolonged exercise in studied artlessness.

The characters are unlikeable, the writer has a tin ear for dialogue and there are no ideas, only a huge juvenile ache for cool and realism. Unfortunately in art realism only comes from huge artifice and effort.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 16 2010, 1:07 AM BST

I tried to watch a bit of this again earlier - but it's genuinely unwatchable.

Agreed
Apart from the bit about trying to watch it again.

Not at all, it is very tongue in cheek in its crudeness, it is fantastically satirical about young slovens and it has some interesting side characters popping in and out. I do have a major grumble with the 'Office cum Gervais-Merchant' style it is too blatantly done in, but the underlying theme is a really good one.

Quote: swerytd @ October 15 2010, 9:40 AM BST

Maybe that's the point of it, though; supposed to make me feel uncomfortable. I'm far too middle-class.

If that's the point of it, then it's an odd one to strive for when you're trying to write a sitcom. To make you feel a bit icky whilst watching.

They are very dirty, slovenly and icky people. Sick

I think I've only watched two episodes so far, but I don't hate it. There are amusing bits amongst all the unpleasant skank.

If it was going for 'realistic', well, it's not realistic to me. Even when I was a student. I don't know anyone who lives such a hovelistic lifestyle.

Quote: zooo @ October 16 2010, 12:59 PM BST

I don't know anyone who lives such a hovelistic lifestyle.

It's how I imagine Chip lives.

I caught up with the final two eps of the series recently. I can admire certain aspects of this show (some of the writing is very good indeed), but I simply can't warm to (or engage with) the characters enough to feel that I particularly want to see more of them - other than the beautifully observed and performed character of the neighbour, Dan (played by Joe Wilkinson), whose appearances were the highlight for me.

Maybe I'm just too old for this show, as mostly I wanted to give the lead characters a good slap and tell them to smarten-up and get a job?

No, I wanted to do that too.
I found the girl quite unlikeable, and as unsympathetic as the secondary characters, but Tovey was semi-likeable.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 16 2011, 10:44 PM GMT

I caught up with the final two eps of the series recently. I can admire certain aspects of this show (some of the writing is very good indeed), but I simply can't warm to (or engage with) the characters enough to feel that I particularly want to see more of them

Ditto on the characters. I didn't dislike it, but it didn't engage me and took me a few weeks to get around to watching the last few episodes. There were a few laughs scattered throughout, but whoever it was said that the show ached to be some piece of super-realism got it bang on. It just a bit of nothingness filler, really.