Top Three US Sitcoms... Page 2

Quote: lewisroberts @ January 20, 2007, 7:03 PM

...the acting is also pint pot...

Can't say I'm familiar with that one. 'Shit hot'?

Okay

Malcolm in the middle.(for anyone who has kids)
Scrubs...(just damn right hilarious)
Curb your enthusiam.(very funny, well acted and fantabulous)

ps you should have put 4 so i could get Cheers in there... Bad bad boy!!!

What about Archie Bunker?

Quote: chipolata @ January 19, 2007, 10:28 AM

I quite liked the Top 3 ITV sitcom thread so I thought I'd rip it off and ask what peoples top three American imports are? Mine are:

1. Cheers - People often say Frasier is better than Cheers, but I've always preferred the Boston based comedy. And it's set must surely be the greatest in sitcom history.
2. MASH - still as funny today as it was thirty years ago. And strangely relevant to America's recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
3. Seinfeld - Brilliantly subversive for a mainstream American comedy. And Jason Alexander's performance as George Costanza must be one of the greatest ever.

i looked at this post ready to type in my top three and the very first entry is my exact top three in that order! so i'll just say ditto...

Boring choices but

1) Friends
2) Simpsons
3) Scrubs

There are loads of great shows but it's kind of hard comparing classic shows like Bilko and Happy days to shows I grew up watching like the Simpsons. So I went with the ones I watch the most.

There's a place reserved in my top ten for My name is Earl afters it's proved its longevity.

Will and Grace should also get a mention, not least because of how genuinely subversive it is. In Bush's America, it's amazing to think that a sitcom with an openly gay character in the lead role could be so popular.

1. Seinfeld - best sitcom ever US and UK and anywhere else for that matter
2. The Simpsons - was top dog for quite some while, pure brilliance, latest series have gone down hill but for all it has given us, it deserves the number 2 spot
3. The Larry Sanders Show - I still havent seen all of these and seen as they never getting a full DVD release it doesnt look like I'll see them all anytime soon, but from those I've seen its a truly great sitcom.

Wouldn't like to put them in order so alphabetically here goes....

Cheers

Seinfeld

The Phil Silvers' Show (A.K.A. Bilko)

I have recently rediscovered "The Golden Girls" and can't believe how good the writing is. I also have a major soft spot for Malcolm in the Middle and am an instant fan of "My Name Is Earl" and "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia". Future classics? Who knows, but it was only its lack of vintage that kept 'Earl out of my top 3. The likes of The Simpsons and King Of The Hill are top notch, I just see them as being from a different category and have used that as an excuse not to consider them. :O)

1 The Norm Show
2 The Larry Sanders Show
3 Arrested Development

1. The Phil Silvers Show
2. Empty Nest
3. Barney Miller

And alas, you can't get DVDs of the last 2 at all, despite Emmy winning successes that they had (OK Series 1 of Barney Miller on Region 1 only, when it hadn't quite settled down yet). Of other shows worthy but not yet mentioned, The Geena Davis Show and Police Squad both were criminally cancelled after 1 series (at least the former made 22 episodes).

1. The Simpsons
2. The Larry Sanders Show
3. Seinfield

It's weird but I'd think of the greatest and my favourite are different. It all depends on what mood I'm in.

(I'm not happy with these lists, but here goes anyway..)

EVER:
1. The Simpsons
2. Cheers
3. Friends
(4. Just missing out, Frasier)

AT THE MOMENT.
1. Curb Your Enthusiasm
2. Scrubs (Can't think of anything else.)
3. Seinfeld - I was about 10 when this was on and watched it sometimes at 12:00AM!!! But recently I've been trying to watch them again on DVD's and Paramount comedy and now being able to appreciate them, it's slowly creeping up my all time favourite list.

I was going to say "Are there three?" but then I remembered Soap, Cheers and Family Guy. I don't think the words "Friends" and "Comedy" should appear in the same sentence though.

Says the man who puts Family Guy in the same sentence as Cheers, Blasphemer!!

Yes I see what I did there.

What mood was that written in Leevil?