Grandma's House - Series 1 Page 11

Quote: chipolata @ August 10 2010, 11:33 AM BST

You're the one that started throwing around phrases like vanity project. I'm sure Amstel has got traction, but so have a lot of people who can't get their stuff made.

Exactly.

Quote: chipolata @ August 10 2010, 11:33 AM BST

You're the one that started throwing around phrases like vanity project.

Which I then backtracked from in a long, and I thought rather well-reasoned post.

Quote: Timbo @ August 10 2010, 11:35 AM BST

Which I then backtracked from in a long-winded, and I thought rather dull post.

Fair enough! :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 10 2010, 11:32 AM BST

I don't appreciate the dig.

In fairness I did not much appreciate being accused of spouting paranoid nonsense. But perhaps we are all being a little oversensitive. I shall apologise before the flamethrowers come out.

And for what it is worth, 'you lot' was intended to encompass Alfred as much as anyone else. There is a tendency on here for people to retreat to overstated, under-nuanced positions. I may even be guilty of it myself on occasion. So I guess 'you lot' sometimes includes me as well.

Quote: chipolata @ August 10 2010, 11:40 AM BST

Fair enough! :)

I shall rise above this, it having been established that I am the bigger man. (Thanks, Ben.)

I saw it last night, it was Ok-ish, not especially funny but not a terrible thing either , I can see it might appeal to some. Simon's fay "don't hurt me" persona however grates on me, he's like the kid at school who baits you until you react then bails out running away.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 5 2010, 12:09 PM BST

No, I definitely think it's the former. 'Swhy I'm writing my current sitcom about a screaming gay orthodox jew from Stamford Hill. And I am using my BCG nom de plum this time, which will make me seem like both, to a BBC bod. I expect nothing but success this time.

you've no chance you'll be told it's stereotyping.
Most of 'showbiz' is full of gays, theatre too. I luv 'em

I'm a big Amstell fan, so I tried really hard to enjoy it, but my efforts went unrewarded. I'll stick with it though, in case it's a grower. (No offence Matthew :) )

I'm failing to come up with a reason why this has produced such opposed and vehement responses. Quite strange.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ August 10 2010, 9:26 AM BST

Ah, mythology. In fact, Johnny Vaughan and Ed Allen wrote a show which was meant to be about two fat blokes. When it came to shooting a pilot, they could only find one suitable fat bloke, and the then producers persuaded Johnny Vaughan to appear. By the time 'orrible was completed, Vaughan had done a deal with the BBC, so when the show was transmitted it was seen as part of the deal rather than as a project which predated it by two years. So it wasn't a vanity project.

I've said it before and I don't mind saying it again I liked 'Orrible :)

'What's that knocking on door? Opportunity!'

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ August 10 2010, 12:35 PM BST

I'm a big Amstell fan, so I tried really hard to enjoy it, but my efforts went unrewarded. I'll stick with it though, in case it's a grower. (No offence Matthew :) )

? I don't believe I've said anything about people not liking it?? How could I?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 10 2010, 12:48 PM BST

? I don't believe I've said anything about people not liking it?? How could I?

The "no offence Matthew" was related to describing the programme as a potential 'grower'. It was a cheap penis gag, apologies.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ August 10 2010, 12:52 PM BST

The "no offence Matthew" was related to describing the programme as a potential 'grower'. It was a cheap penis gag, apologies.

Ah. Please refrain from being subtle in future, I am stupid.

Quote: Charley @ August 10 2010, 3:36 AM BST

I did laugh at the "prostate cancer" scene.

That was the only part that made me laugh too. I though the young kid could be funny though, in time.

Quote: Charley @ August 10 2010, 3:36 AM BST

I did laugh at the "prostate cancer" scene.

I'm only surprised that Grandad didn't call it prostrate cancer by mistake...

Never an Amstell fan but I enjoyed this. Good characters, well written and some laughs. Decent first episode.