What's your favourite shop? Page 4

I miss how Borders used to be. They went through a major restructuring here and got rid of all that made them wonderful.

I now do all my entertainment shopping at Barnes and Noble.

But my favourite place to shop is my local thrift store. Fantastic stuff!

Quote: chipolata @ July 3 2010, 10:13 PM BST

Bit close to the bone, Marc.

I can't think of a witty reply.

Eh?

My favourite shop used to be Woolworths. Our high street still has its corpse on full display :( :(

Now it is probably Waterstones (I can't be the only person on here you always smells the pages of a book before I buy it am I?).

Quote: Will Cam @ July 3 2010, 11:06 PM BST

(I can't be the only person on here you always smells the pages of a book before I buy it am I?).

I do! I do!

Quote: Marc P @ July 3 2010, 11:05 PM BST

I can't think of a witty reply.

Eh?

Oh my god, what have you done to him, chip?

Borders still has a reasonably big presence in Australia, with a huge range of books, magazines, newspapers, CDs, DVDs, as well as comfy chairs, food and beverages, and non-book giftshops. Their prices are far too high though, and some of their staff are incredibly thick (last week I asked a sales guy in the children's section where the Tintin and Asterix books were, he had no idea what they were, let alone where they were). Anything I can find in Borders I can find for a better price elsewhere*, except for when stuff is on special (which is all too infrequently). I've never gone much for the notion of selling/drinking coffee in a bookstore.

* The exception being a book called Hard Evidence.

Quote: zooo @ July 3 2010, 11:18 PM BST

Oh my god, what have you done to him, chip?

It's ok there has been a beer and cider festival on this weekend!:)

Quote: Kenneth @ July 3 2010, 11:19 PM BST

* The exception being a book called Hard Evidence.

I mentioned this to RH and they pretty much ignored me! True. :(

Quote: Marc P @ July 3 2010, 11:25 PM BST

It's ok there has been a beer and cider festival on this weekend!:)

Phew!
Crisis averted.

Quote: zooo @ July 3 2010, 11:30 PM BST

Phew!
Crisis averted.

Plus sometimes... well... you know Zooo... you have to be nice. :D

I like Asda and stuff from the Matthew Allan range.

(Asda's got Finish tablets, 84 for £8 atm!)

Quote: Marc P @ July 3 2010, 11:33 PM BST

Plus sometimes... well... you know Zooo... you have to be nice. :D

:O There's a concept!

Chain - Woolworths
Supermarket - Safeways (alas no more)
Independent - There was a shop near me once that sold wool and sewing stuff on one side and fishing rods and maggotts on the other - one shop ran by a couple with different interests. Always found it fascinating to peer into.

Quote: zooo @ July 3 2010, 11:18 PM BST

I do! I do!

Me too! Me too!

Quote: zooo @ July 3 2010, 7:10 PM BST

John Lewis, Waterstones and possibly Topshop.

But really it's any little dusty bookshop.

Can I marry you?

Same as me (with the top shop exception).

Second marriage obviously after you and Aaron don't work out ')

I think I see why I shouldn't post on forums anymore, I'll just stick to posting JunkMales stuff in critique for people to ignore (there's a new one there by the way.. lol).

Haha!

I'm sure you could learn to love Top man if you tried! Then we can be shop twins.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 4 2010, 9:18 AM BST

Me too! Me too!

Yayy. People always mock me when I do it.

Quote: Will Cam @ July 3 2010, 11:06 PM BST

My favourite shop used to be Woolworths. Our high street still has its corpse on full display :( :(

High streets are a poorer place without Woolworths, although the Wioolies spirit lives on in Wilkinsons. Which is a pretty decent shop.

And talking of cheapy shops, you can't beat a Poundland or 99p Store. I get ridiculously happy when I go in there and find a great DVD for £1. Or 99p.

Quote: zooo @ July 4 2010, 10:35 AM BST

Yayy. People always mock me when I do it.

I wouldn't fancy buying a book if somebody's had their nose in it, sniffing sniffing sniffing!