Newsjack - Series 3 Page 2

I don't think the commissioned writers write that much tbh. They seem to tidy up/rewrite all the sketches that come in. The vast majority are from non-comms.

I got a few things on last series, but only one got on 'as is' -- the others were significantly rewritten.

Dan

I shall have my usual enthusiastic start, followed by a complete collapse of confidence by week 3. I'll rally briefly in week 6 but sadly it'll be too little too late.

Kind of like the Labour election campaign.

Quote: ShoePie @ June 4 2010, 4:21 PM BST

I shall have my usual enthusiastic start, followed by a complete collapse of confidence by week 3. I'll rally briefly in week 6 but sadly it'll be too little too late.

Kind of like the Labour election campaign.

well at least if it all goes badly wrong you can blame it on Sue.

Quote: Trabs @ June 4 2010, 3:39 PM BST

I submitted a really shit sketch for the last series and it didn't get in.

Perhaps you should have submitted a good sketch instead? Although sometimes it does actually seem that they prefer to broadcast shit ones.

Quote: Trabs @ June 4 2010, 3:39 PM BST

What are people's experiences with this show?

Week One: Forgot to submit.

Week Two: These political sketches should bring the country to its knees.

Weeks Three and Four: As Week Two.

Week Five: JUST TELL ME WHAT TO SAY. I'LL SAY ANYTHING JUST TO GET ONE VOXPOP.

Week Six: A snide one-liner about a safe, non-political subject makes it onto the show.

Week Twenty: Get paid.

Have to say, unlike some other shows that had open-door, I find this show really funny. I think the recognisable cast helps too.

Having listened to the show I must say that some of the sketches have been quite sophisticated. I personally find political sketches the most difficult to write. I submitted four or five sketches in the first series but the second series passed me by for some reason. This time I'm going to take it a bit more seriously; Each weekend I will vow to sit down with the newspapers, a pot of tea and a blank piece of paper and try to knock out three decent sketches. Does anyone know if you can submit voxpops in addition to three sketches?

Quote: Martyn Jay @ June 5 2010, 1:44 PM BST

Does anyone know if you can submit voxpops in addition to three sketches?

Yes you can. In fact, I would recommend it. A five-second vox-pop gets you paid for a minute, and if you've already had a 57-second sketch broadcast, you'll get paid for 2 minutes.

Or so I'm told... Whistling nnocently

Quote: ContainsNuts @ June 5 2010, 11:26 AM BST

Have to say, unlike some other shows that had open-door, I find this show really funny. I think the recognisable cast helps too.

I agree, on several occasions I've been listening and thought to myself I'm glad my sketches didn't get on now as they were nowhere near as good as this! I need to up my game this year... or get one!

Remember, they'll want lots of Derek Bird rampage killing sketches this year.

They will get sent them. Seriously.

I'm hoping to give my "Strongbow Cannibal" skit an airing.

Does anyone know if there's anywhere you can listen to previous shows?
They suggest listening to the new series by subscribing to the podcast but there are no previous ones to listen to/download.

I already thought this had started again. Sent in a bit the other day, but got an auto-reply saying it hadn't start yet. Should I send again or assume it's in their inbox?

I'd definitely send again.