Last of Summer Wine to end? Page 2

I think he said in an interview that he's always surprised that they recommission it, but happy to go on for as long as they want.

They could at least let them have an hour long farewell episode.

They could call it Corked

Glad it's coming to an end. It's not really been good since about 1984 (before this, it was one of the greatest sitcoms ever). It's well past its sell by date now. There will be six final episodes then. Just reading the link to the Summer Wine forum. I appreciate though that post 1984, it has given a lot of people a lot of pleasure and a show of such long running deserves a farewell final episode, not just ending on an ordinary one, so I say this series of six episodes (from what I'm reading the series was already written before the decision to end it, so episode 6 will not signal the end) and then one final extended episode which will signal the end to it.

Quote: Jack Massey @ May 4 2010, 10:39 PM BST

Glad it's coming to an end. It's not really been good since about 1984 (before this, it was one of the greatest sitcoms ever). It's well past its sell by date now. There will be six final episodes then. Just reading the link to the Summer Wine forum. I appreciate though that post 1984, it has given a lot of people a lot of pleasure and a show of such long running deserves a farewell final episode, not just ending on an ordinary one, so I say this series of six episodes (from what I'm reading the series was already written before the decision to end it, so episode 6 will not signal the end) and then one final extended episode which will signal the end to it.

I agree with you Jack, I knew that Roy Clarke had been given the go-ahead to write six new episodes for broadcast in 2010, presuming he has already done that it will not have the final episode spelling the end as you say, however the episodes haven't been shot as far as I know? So there is still time to either change it or scrap it and go for just a one-off ending. I would like to see some things put to rest, some conclusions, especially to the Peral/Howard/Marina "love triangle" and maybe have a bit of self-parody in there, either about the longevity of the series or the characters in general. It would be nice for some of the grittier humour of the first series to come back as it lost a lot of steam and became too "gentle" in the later series with most of the things said by Peter Sallis simply getting a titter from the audience. But yeah, I would like to see it being given a nice send off, it was getting a bit silly and definitely repetitive in the 90s with the occassional episode standing out only for reasons beyond the writers control such as Compo's death etc etc.

The episodes have been shot :)

Quote: Robert D @ May 22 2010, 11:08 PM BST

The episodes have been shot :)

Really? Hmm, that's interesting, I wonder if they saw the new series and decided to cancel it... ;) Thanks dude... :D

I really hope the final episode is a proper send-off for the show, not just another 'normal' episode.

I'll be watching to see how they finish this institution of a show as they can't go out with a 'bang', (that might set off a few pacemakers).

I bet it turns out it was purgatory all along.

And Nora Batty is God.

They ride down a hill in a bath tub into a blinding light.

Quote: sootyj @ May 28 2010, 9:14 AM BST

I bet it turns out it was purgatory all along.

And Nora Batty is God.

They ride down a hill in a bath tub into a blinding light.

:). In the words of Norman Clegg, 'I like it'

Hard to decide who waa the worst battleaxe I'd say Nora just pips Pearl and Ivy

I reckon the whole thing will have turned out to be a dream of the young Norman Clegg :D

Quote: peter gazzard @ May 29 2010, 10:23 PM BST

:). In the words of Norman Clegg, 'I like it'

I reckon the whole thing will have turned out to be a dream of the young Norman Clegg :D

As he waits to get killed by the Nazis in the fighting around Dunkirk.

A chance for him to reflect on how diferent his life would have been if he had lived a long life.

With Nora Batty as Field Marshal Goering.

Quote: peter gazzard @ May 29 2010, 10:23 PM BST

Hmm, you did sometimes see the softer side of Nora when Compo tried to do something to steal her heart . . can't recall seeing the softer side of Pearl !

True I suppose. Pearl has good reason though. :)

Just came across this thread and am very sorry that 'Last of the Summer Wine' should end....... :(

It's official. :(