THE most underrated band of all time... Page 6

Beck and Pavement are ace. Is/Are Buffalo Tom similar?

The Redskins were good. Aaron would like them. ;)

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ May 5 2010, 11:44 AM BST

Beck, Pavement and Buffalo Tom are three underrated bands IMO.

Again, I think the first two are quite big. Pavement's latest tour is selling out medium to big venues on multiple nights all over and they curated their own festival recently. Beck was on Futurama! So he's certainly no unknown act! Both fantastic though.

I second zooo's question as to who Buffalo Tom are.

I don't think this thread is about unknown acts alone.

I imagine someone like Pavement isn't widely known in some respects. Widely known to a certain demographic, but not so much to everyone.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 5 2010, 5:00 PM BST

I imagine someone like Pavement isn't widely known in some respects. Widely known to a certain demographic, but not so much to everyone.

They've sold a million records and their current reunion tour was one of the most hyped of the last year. They're headlining festivals all over the world.

Beck was (and is) HUGE.

Quote: DaButt @ May 5 2010, 5:04 PM BST

They've sold a million records and their current reunion tour was one of the most hyped of the last year. They're headlining festivals all over the world.

There are bands that seep into the public consciousnes, Pavement, at least over here, isn't one of them. If I asked most people, say, in my office right now, to name or hum a Pavment song, most couldn't. Maybe two out of twenty people, which is a bit poor. They're very well known to a certain section of people, but not to everyone. People might know the name, but they wouldn't know the songs, that's what I'm saying. And a lot wouldn't even know the name.

Since we're talking alt-country, Sparklehorse should get a mention if they haven't already. Not least because of the tragic lead singer, who sadly killed himself not long ago.

I only heard of Pavement because Nirvana used to go on about them in interviews.
Which is weird because they're nothing alike.

Anyway, because of that I assumed they'd be some old band from the '70s. When I eventually checked them out I was relieved to find they were awesome, and not beardy old crusties.

Quote: zooo @ May 5 2010, 5:25 PM BST

I only heard of Pavement because Nirvana used to go on about them in interviews.

Wasn't Blur's Woo-hoo song heavily influenced by Pavement?
I seem to remember Pavement thought so.

Quote: chipolata @ May 5 2010, 5:18 PM BST

Since we're talking alt-country

Drive By Truckers is another great alt-country band that is also under appreciated.

I shall have to take a moment later this week and do some research on some of these bands (when I am not listening to Aqua, that is), many of which are very underrated ;)

The Magnetic Fields. Their album, 69 Love Songs, is an insanely ambitious classic containing, er, 69 love songs. Especially worthwhile if you like bands like The Divine Comedy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 4 2010, 2:04 PM BST

I think The Divine Comedy deserve to have been a bit more successful than they have been.

Couldn't agree more! It's a shame they'll always be known as the group that had 'that bus song'. Gorgeous melodies, witty lyrics brought together with a beautiful voice.

Quote: chipolata @ May 5 2010, 7:19 PM BST

The Magnetic Fields. Their album, 69 Love Songs, is an insanely ambitious classic containing, er, 69 love songs.

'Papa was a Rodeo' is a terrific song.

Quote: bamalamafizzvaj @ May 5 2010, 7:32 PM BST

Couldn't agree more! It's a shame they'll always be known as the group that had 'that bus song'. Gorgeous melodies, witty lyrics brought together with a beautiful voice.

Here's a song called Gin Soaked Boy, one of my DC favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXP1oLtPyDA