THE most underrated band of all time... Page 4

Kenickie

Longpigs. Two classic songs and a pretty good album then... nothing.

Quote: Badge @ May 4 2010, 2:11 AM BST

Kenickie

Ahh yes, I still listen to that great first album a lot. Is the second one any good? I remember it being labelled a bit of a let down at the time.

Quote: chipolata @ May 4 2010, 8:09 AM BST

Longpigs. Two classic songs and a pretty good album then... nothing.

Their guitar player, Richard Hawley, is still going though.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 3 2010, 10:47 PM BST

Bon freaking Jovi. There's a band invented seemingly for middle aged women.

They might be middle-aged now, but those women were teenagers when Jon Bovi first entered the charts.

Quote: Kenneth @ May 4 2010, 9:51 AM BST

They might be middle-aged now, but those women were teenagers when Jon Bovi first entered the charts.

And those teenagers had bad taste in music back then too, mr smarty pants!

Quickspace
Yummy Fur

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 4 2010, 9:56 AM BST

And those teenagers had bad taste in music back then too, mr smarty pants!

No argument there.

Quote: Kenneth @ May 3 2010, 10:23 PM BST

Come to Australia and Southeast Asia, turn on crappy commercial radio stations and you'll realize they're not forgotten. Even China let them in; a bit of a rarity to allow a foreign pop band in to perform.

That's nice to know from a fans point of view. We mostly think they are ignored.

As for China letting Roxette become the first western band since Wham! to perform in the country. That just Rox.

For UNDER UNDERATED - I would have to say Saint Etienne. Their last single Method of Modern Love was amazing but barely scraped into the top 60. Their greatest hits album London Conversations only made the top 80 and they have only sold around 2 million records in 20 years.

Quote: chipolata @ May 3 2010, 12:21 PM BST

Grant Lee Buffalo. They were well respected but bugger all people bought their albums. I love Fuzzy. One of my all time favourite songs.

Grant Lee Buffalo are great. My favourite is the one about the getting it on his handycam, greenlight. Mighty Joe Moon is a cracking album too.

This seems like a good a place as any to shoehorn in this irrelevant piece of music trivia: Anarchist toe-tappers Chumbwamba were incensed when Radio One refused to play their single She's Got All The Friends on the grounds that it was "too pop". To demonstrate what "too pop" would sound like, Chumbawamba got Black Lace (of Agadoo push pineapple fame) to do a cover of She's Got All The Friends. And the Black Lace version is excellent, though I've never heard it on the radio.

Quote: Badge @ May 4 2010, 2:11 AM BST

Kenickie

Good choice. Not heard their album but I did buy a single called Punka.

I also had a Longpigs single (or I did do - prob chucked it out as it was on cassette)

Quote: Kenneth @ May 4 2010, 11:52 AM BST

This seems like a good a place as any to shoehorn in this irrelevant piece of music trivia: Anarchist toe-tappers Chumbwamba were incensed when Radio One refused to play their single She's Got All The Friends on the grounds that it was "too pop". To demonstrate what "too pop" would sound like, Chumbawamba got Black Lace (of Agadoo push pineapple fame) to do a cover of She's Got All The Friends. And the Black Lace version is excellent, though I've never heard it on the radio.

I'm full of useless but useful facts like this.

People tell me to stop boring them with it all.

But when there's a quiz or a game on the pub games machine then who gets pulled into action?

Quote: David Carmon @ May 4 2010, 11:54 AM BST

Good choice. Not heard their album but I did buy a single called Punka.

Love that song. That first album is jam packed full of potential hit singles. Unfortunately none of them actually became hits.

I think The Divine Comedy deserve to have been a bit more successful than they have been.

Quote: Oldrocker @ May 3 2010, 10:09 PM BST

That's a hardware store over here.

Wilko is the even-more-common-person's shorthand name for a common person's shop. Aktuerlee.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 4 2010, 1:04 PM BST

Love that song. That first album is jam packed full of potential hit singles. Unfortunately none of them actually became hits.

They had a few hits in fact. I love both albums but the second is quite different in style and lyrically quite dark in places, like they were fed up with the music business. I often wonder what happened to the attractive blonde singer.