THE most underrated band of all time... Page 5

Quote: Badge @ May 4 2010, 3:24 PM BST

They had a few hits in fact.

Did they? I seem to remember at the time they got in the top forty with singles from the first album, but none of them went very high. By hits I meant more top ten really I suppose. I suppose one of the songs from the second album must have done okay, I seem to remember Smack The Pony doing a spoof song to it.

EDIT:

It seems the highest placed single off that first album reached 24, and only one other single broke the top thirty. Those should have been big top ten hits for sure!

One band I have a soft spot for is Silver Sun, who released their first album in about '97. I still listen to them quite a bit.

Ultrasound, there was another good band.

And The Band. Critically acclaimed, but not a lot of people seem to know them much, or have any of their albums; though they'll almost certainly have heard some of their songs, perhaps without realising who it is who plays it. Everyone knows the other biggies from the period. The Band are one of my favourite, um, bands.

Ah, I tend to think of a hit as being top 40 or getting an airing on TOTP. Give the second album a go, Matt.

The Seven Band.
Underrated by just one.

The Jayhawks

Quote: Timbo @ May 4 2010, 5:44 PM BST

The Jayhawks

Ooh, I like them. Sound of Lies? That was a good album.

Quote: chipolata @ May 4 2010, 5:46 PM BST

Ooh, I like them. Sound of Lies? That was a good album.

A fine album, if quite dark. But then they never disappoint.

Ultrasound. I think they could have gone on to be really big (cue joke about singer) if they had not spilt up.

Ultrasound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk3GQ7c_ygE

If we're being honest the most underrated band of all time is The Beatles. If only one person didn't like them they would be underrated. The fact that loads of people don't like them must make them enormously underrated. :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 4 2010, 4:04 PM BST

Ultrasound, there was another good band.

I liked them too - especially one song but can't remember the title. Got their album and a couple of singles.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 4 2010, 4:04 PM BST

And The Band. Critically acclaimed, but not a lot of people seem to know them much, or have any of their albums; though they'll almost certainly have heard some of their songs, perhaps without realising who it is who plays it. Everyone knows the other biggies from the period. The Band are one of my favourite, um, bands.

I think most people of my age will know them. The album The Band is one of my favouites with "The night they drove old Dixie Down", "Rag Mama Rag", "Up on Cripple Creek", "Jemima surrender" etc. Brilliant.

Quote: Badge @ May 4 2010, 7:57 PM BST

If we're being honest the most underrated band of all time is The Beatles. If only one person didn't like them they would be underrated. The fact that loads of people don't like them must make them enormously underrated. :)

Is that one person Aaron?

Quote: Aaron @ May 4 2010, 2:46 PM BST

Wilko is the even-more-common-person's shorthand name for a common person's shop. Aktuerlee.

I worked for Wilkos for 5 years

Quote: Chappers @ May 5 2010, 12:06 AM BST

I think most people of my age will know them. The album The Band is one of my favouites with "The night they drove old Dixie Down", "Rag Mama Rag", "Up on Cripple Creek", "Jemima surrender" etc. Brilliant.

They're quite famous and their swan song (directed by Scorsese) is the greatest concert film of all time. I've seen it at least 30 times.

Quote: Chappers @ May 5 2010, 12:06 AM BST

I think most people of my age will know them.

Well that's the thing, I think they're a bit forgotten by younger people. They all know The Rolling Stones, or Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and all the rest of those big guns from the era, but most won't know about The Band, although if you played them The Weight they will have heard it before. I only got into them because I was buying Dylan stuff, records and books, and read about The Band being his backing group for a while, so went to check them out. I actually prefer them to Dylan now.

Quote: DaButt @ May 5 2010, 2:51 AM BST

They're quite famous and their swan song (directed by Scorsese) is the greatest concert film of all time. I've seen it at least 30 times.

That is a great film. Though did you know the microphone Robbie Robertson is screaming into the whole time apparently wasn't even switched on? :D

Argent.

Quote: Jack Massey @ May 5 2010, 10:32 AM BST

Argent.

Yes - got a couple of their albums but they did have about 3 hit singles and you can see a touring form of them as the Zombies every so often. That is Rod Argent and the guitarist and they usually do 2 or 3 Argent songs in the set.

Check out "Freefall" - a magnificent song.

Beck, Pavement and Buffalo Tom are three underrated bands IMO.