Horne & Corden Page 34

Quote: swerytd @ February 4 2010, 2:57 PM GMT

like The Sun, only purple and will less tits...

Shouldn't this be in that "What do you think of the avatar above ya?" thread?

:D

Now he tells us:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8550121.stm

But who thought his sketch writing was good enough to broadcast? Or did they just turn a blind eye and hope using flavour of the month names would be enough?

James Corden calls BBC Three sketch show a 'mistake'

Odd how that word 'mistake' gets used in such cases. I used to think of a mistake as being something that's not deliberate, an accident of sorts.

It's quite a big thing for Corden to come out and say something like that, it's certainly not the kind of thing people who dislike him would expect him to do, as it's completely out of kilter with the imagined picture they've built up about him.

Not that I ever hated him in the first place but even if I did I think I'd be won over by this apology. What kind of actor would turn down their own series, regardless of whether they secretly knew they weren't cut out of the job? When someone presents you with an opportunity like that you do what you can to rise to the challenge. Corden took a punt but wasn't up to it and he's recognised that fact. Fair play to him I say.

Of course it could just be that whoever is doing Corden's PR is very good indeed at damage control.

The fault was always mainly with the BBC. They had their heads turned by the stars of a succesful TV sitcom and threw a sketch show at them without first ensuring that they were up to the job. And if nothing else, they should have got experienced writers and directors on board that could have made sure the show worked. It was rank amatuerism from Auntie.

At least James Corden can console himself with a guest spot in the new Doctor Who series.

It's the line about not being able to write all the sketches himself.

Hire a writer you arrogant plonker, it was good enough for Bob Hope and Sid Cesar.

Fair play to him to be fair. It takes a big man to stand up and say he was wrong.

Now Mr Corden is indeed a fine comic actor, the solution for series two would be to bring in some decent sketch writers? However, there will be no series two, which seems a shame if the problems with the first one have been identified and can be solved.

Did Corden and Horne write all the material then? Seems a bit strange for Jim to be taking the heat for the material. Surely they had other writers on the show?

He indicates in the interview he did alot of the writing. They probably had some writers, they must have.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 5 2010, 9:04 AM GMT

It's quite a big thing for Corden to come out and say something like that, it's certainly not the kind of thing people who dislike him would expect him to do, as it's completely out of kilter with the imagined picture they've built up about him.

I'm sorry but that is utter nonsense. This show was so universally panned that this is the only option he had, he can hardly say everyone's wrong now can he? Oh hang on, maybe he can. In part of that interview he has a pop at the media for slagging off the show so strongly. The fact this show even made it to air is a disgrace, and if he can't write sketches then why did he pitch a sketch show? Or if he was just offered it, then why didn't he just say no? Or does artistic integrity not exist any more? If Corden did have the arrogance to write it all himself when clearly knowing he wasn't up to the task, then that actually correlates perfectly with my impression of him. Is he going to "apologise" for Lesbian Vampire Killers too? I hope the British public are operating a 3 strikes and you're out rule, 'cos if they are then he's on his last legs along with his little mate.

Quote: Mr Snodworthy @ March 5 2010, 6:43 PM GMT

Did Corden and Horne write all the material then? Seems a bit strange for Jim to be taking the heat for the material. Surely they had other writers on the show?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/horne_corden/