The Persuasionists Page 17

Here is the BCG's coverage.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000257/the_persuasionists_moved_to_graveyard_slot/

I was no fan of the first episode - the only one I have seen - but if broadcasters aren't going to give a show at least a series' worth of a chance in a consistent slot then we might as well all go home. Shame on the BBC.

Quote: darnall42 @ February 3 2010, 5:18 PM GMT

It's been rescheduled for 11:20 on Thursday night. BBC Two. :)

That's what we've been discussing.

I really can't agree more with Badge on the rescheduling issue. It's a wonder they actually commission shows in the first place if they won't give them a fair chance.

This re-scheduling is just sad isn't it. Maybe the show isn't working but - even if that is the case - why just dump it in favour of a tired old repeat of another show? The only reason for doing that is to try and chase ratings - something the BBC isn't meant to be doing!

If they are going to shift things around, they could at least have the courtesy of giving a bit of notice - this is far too abrupt a change (last time I can remember something as abrupt was when ITV axed Tough Gig - but, then again, they are a commercial channel so have more of an excuse to bump something than the BBC does).

I wonder how Jonathan Thake's taking all this. Must be tough, especially on a new writer. Hopefully he has thick skin and can ride it out.

Personally I don't think The Persuasionists is as terrible as people are making out - it's not terrible and it does have some lol moments. It really doesn't deserve the kicking it's had. I know a few comedy-types who seem to be basking in the show's failure but what they don't seem to realise is how bad this type of thing is for comedy - and especially for the more inexperienced writers trying to get a break. It just makes a very difficult business to break into even more impossible.

Yep, shame. I've watched every episode so far. Hope it gets a DVD release

What is most depressing about it being pulled is what they replaced it with.

The BBC reeeeeeeeeeeeeally need to learn how to stand by their decisions and talent.

They are such lily livered wussies.

Welcome to the American version of television! We've been waiting for you to catch up! Pleased

Agree with the comments above re dropping it out of its slot. The BBC might possibly claim that it is responding to audience feedback, but that would be very disingenuous of them. The show has found its feet to some extent, even if it has not picked up viewers. As said, the BBC does not have to rely on ratings and to do this to a new show during a series run is simply wrong. It's a symptom of the wider disrespect with which the BBC treats comedy as a genre at the moment.

(Saying this, look at the time the BBC Two showing of Mad Men goes out. Perhaps the BBC views this move as a promotion to a more prestigious slot?)

Quote: Mr Snodworthy @ February 3 2010, 8:21 PM GMT

Personally I don't think The Persuasionists is as terrible as people are making out - it's not terrible and it does have some lol moments.

I kinda agree, there's a lot of stuff that's far worse than this. But it didn't make me laugh.
It's not so terrible that I had to turn it off. But had I turned it off earlier, my life wouldn't have been any the poorer.

Ironically this decision means a lot of people who were fairly non-plussed with the show now view it far more sympathetically. Me included.

Quote: chipolata @ February 4 2010, 11:17 AM GMT

Ironically this decision means a lot of people who were fairly non-plussed with the show now view it far more sympathetically. Me included.

And me.

Many sitcoms have failed before but for one to be rescheduled on BBC2 is quite an insult. I've watched all 3 episodes and have yet to raise a single laugh but, the very fact that I have watched all three means I wanted it to succeed. The mistake was probably to put it on BBC2 - perhaps BBC Three would have been a better option?

Quote: Alan C @ February 4 2010, 8:59 PM GMT

The mistake was probably to put it on BBC2 - perhaps BBC Three would have been a better option?

Take out the swearing, and it would fit right in to CBBC.