The Persuasionists Page 22

So I keep saying, but there are just too many it seems who think you can do what you want in a sitcom. So already, the new experimental crap we're getting is convincing many wannabe sitcom writers that this is how you do it. It bleeding well isn't - it's how you create crap.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 8 2010, 11:15 PM GMT

So I keep saying, but there are just too many it seems who think you can do what you want in a sitcom. So already, the new experimental crap we're getting is convincing many wannabe sitcom writers that this is how you do it. It bleeding well isn't - it's how you create crap.

But the sitcoms you are slating are traditional sitcoms by unknown writers, which seems to be exactly what you keep saying you want. Even if the results are, in your opinion, crap.

I only slated The Persuasionists and Lab Rats and neither of these could you call traditional sitcoms. Others have slated Big Top but not me, I haven't seen it. But I'll add We Are Klang to the list. These three may be written by unknowns (a good thing) but they seem to me to be unknowns who don't know or care what good or even real sitcom is (a bad thing). This was my point.

You seem to be implying that adherence to 'the rules' alone will produce funnier results. I would have thought the result would be more conventional, but no more or less funny.

Quote: Nogget @ February 9 2010, 11:57 AM GMT

You seem to be implying that adherence to 'the rules' alone will produce funnier results. I would have thought the result would be more conventional, but no more or less funny.

You've said what I was trying to say here, but much more poignantly. Have you ever thought about becoming a poet?

Looks like last episode won't be on until after the Olympics. :O

Quote: peter gazzard @ February 9 2010, 10:14 PM GMT

Looks like last episode won't be on until after the Olympics. :O

Are you sure?

The BBC website has the final episode down for this Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00q3ks7/episodes/upcoming

Quote: Jinky @ February 9 2010, 10:43 PM GMT

Are you sure?

The BBC website has the final episode down for this Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00q3ks7/episodes/upcoming

Yep just checked, 11:45 pm on Saturday, my mistake. Just don't know why they didn't schedule it for 3 am and have done with it. Angry That's almost exactly the time Seinfeld used to be shown at over here.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 9 2010, 12:19 AM GMT

I only slated The Persuasionists and Lab Rats and neither of these could you call traditional sitcoms. Others have slated Big Top but not me, I haven't seen it. But I'll add We Are Klang to the list. These three may be written by unknowns (a good thing) but they seem to me to be unknowns who don't know or care what good or even real sitcom is (a bad thing). This was my point.

I liked Lab Rats.

Iain Lee, he's a lucky boy.

All this re-scheduling is deeply disappointing. ITV have advertising revenue to consider, the BBC has no such concerns. However much criticism a sitcom (or indeed drama) gets, it really shouldn't be f**ked about with on its first series. If you've commissioned and paid for six episodes then, when you get the tapes, either broadcast them as planned or don't show it at all.

Why has the BBC chosen to be ruthless with this show in particular? Just because of the ratings, or is there another agenda?

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 11 2010, 11:47 AM GMT

or is there another agenda?

What?

Disappointing as the treatment of this show is, it does seem a clear case of bad reviews and falling ratings making BBC2 feel they have to bounce it out of prime-time. I honestly don't think there's anything else at play here.

Bah! I want a conspiracy theory and I want it now! Angry

Chip's right (nearly wrote 'obviously' there- f**k me) but there has been some nervousness around this show - hence the late change of the title. If we can spot problems then people closer to the tiller will know all about them.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 11 2010, 11:54 AM GMT

Bah! I want a conspiracy theory and I want it now! Angry

The Persuasionists is an anagram of 'sinister phaseouts'.....

...I've said too much.