Jealousy in British comedy Page 2

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 13 2009, 1:14 AM GMT

I can't stand Michael McIntyre and I know alot of people who share that opinion, so maybe in this case the resentment comes from the fact that other comedians don't think McIntyre is any good yet he is doing so well.

I doubt that very much. A majority of the nation think that he is funny. And he genuinly seems like a nice man.
I think that they ARE just jelous.

British comedy is no different to any other 'business' in that there will always be someone who is resented by others for being successful when we all know they are not as good as me and/or you.

Oh, but hang on, isn't comedy subjective?
So why are there awards?
IMHO the only awards given in comedy should be for bums on seats, money made and life time 'achievement' e.g the Togmeister. All tangible.

Quote: Griff @ December 13 2009, 2:57 PM GMT

How much apprenticeship does Ricky Gervais have to serve? He's been doing standup since the late 90s and Edinburgh shows since 2001. Ten years not enough?

I dunno, but I know some comedians think because he wasn't slogging around the clubs doing 10 gigs a week for 10 years first, he doesn't deserve massive stand-up tours, etc. That's not my opinion by the way.

It is bollocks though. If he can get a theatre, sell tickets, he'll have good reason to be there. Simples.

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 2:43 PM GMT

I doubt that very much. A majority of the nation think that he is funny. And he genuinly seems like a nice man.
i think that they ARE just jelous.

It definitely isn't a majority that like him. I know just as many people who don't like him as do. Also, the people who tend to not like him are the people who actively watch comedians, whereas the people who do like him tend to get all of their comedy from 'Live at the Apollo' and panel shows.

The reason he got so popular in such a short amount of time is to do with the fact that his comedy is very simple and therefore very easy to understand and accessible. That, tied in with him appearing in all of the mainstream outlets of comedy such as Mock the Week and Live at the Apollo. I would be willing to put money on him being nowhere near as succesful if he had being working the circuit, just because the audiences are different. The Mock the Week audience want simple comedy, and that's what he does. If I paid £20 to see a bloke talk about going shopping with actions for an hour I would be pissed off.

I suppose it all goes back to the age old problem of simple and easy to understand becoming more popular than intelligent and deep every time, just because of that. People don't like to think. It takes too much effort. It's the same in music.

Quote: Griff @ December 13 2009, 2:57 PM GMT

So would you like to ban the Oscars, the BAFTAs, the Booker Prize, and the Mrs.Joyful Prize for Raffia Work as well?

Nope, as long as the raffia is naturally produced!

As I'm wholly confident I shall never receive one for my/our dreadful efforts as long as I can type or hold a pen I believe it reasonable for me to say I'm all for awards as long as the award has been earned on merit, not given because it's their turn, they know someone or the awards panel are arse licking.

Fortunately I know that isn't the case on BCG.

Quote: Leevil @ December 13 2009, 3:03 PM GMT

It is bollocks though. If he can get a theatre, sell tickets, he'll have good reason to be there. Simples.

I guess some people think it's because he's on the telly and shit and famous for other stuff, that he can sell out huge venues.

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 13 2009, 3:22 PM GMT

It definitely isn't a majority that like him. I know just as many people who don't like him as do. Also, the people who tend to not like him are the people who actively watch comedians, whereas the people who do like him tend to get all of their comedy from 'Live at the Apollo' and panel shows.

The reason he got so popular in such a short amount of time is to do with the fact that his comedy is very simple and therefore very easy to understand and accessible. That, tied in with him appearing in all of the mainstream outlets of comedy such as Mock the Week and Live at the Apollo. I would be willing to put money on him being nowhere near as succesful if he had being working the circuit, just because the audiences are different. The Mock the Week audience want simple comedy, and that's what he does. If I paid £20 to see a bloke talk about going shopping with actions for an hour I would be pissed off.

I suppose it all goes back to the age old problem of simple and easy to understand becoming more popular than intelligent and deep every time, just because of that. People don't like to think. It takes too much effort. It's the same in music.

My 14 years old daughter loves Michael McIntyre doing stand up. She also is thoroughly entertained by QI and Mock The Week. Totally different streams of humour. She likes what makes her laugh regardless of the intellectual content.
This is why comedy is so difficult to judge.

Quote: garyd @ December 13 2009, 3:25 PM GMT

My 14 years old daughter loves Michael McIntyre doing stand up. She also is thoroughly entertained by QI and Mock The Week. Totally different streams of humour. She likes what makes her laugh regardless of the intellectual content.
This is why comedy is so difficult to judge.

I agree.
And he is in the comedy circuit.
I went to see him live recently and he is completely different to when he is on Mock The Week. Also, he can make a whole age range of people laugh, which is a hard thing to do.

Well in that case the delivery format is different, but I would say that the content is very similar. McIntyre is stand-up for the TV generation.

I agree though that comedy is extremely hard to judge. I guess the main point I am trying to make is that McIntyre is generally liked more by the casual comedy audience rather than the hardcore. That isn't a steadfast rule though.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 13 2009, 2:28 PM GMT

(such as Stewart Lee) feel they are in a laddish club which excludes the likes of McIntyre and other 'toff' interlopers who have hardly served an apprenticeship in the game/business. It does make me snigger a little bit, because didn't Lee go to Oxbridge, just like several other current successful comedians? So what have they got to be jealous about, really?

That's got nothing to do with why Stewart Lee doesn't like him, it's entirely down to his dislike of the kind of material he uses, that's all.

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 13 2009, 3:42 PM GMT

Well in that case the delivery format is different, but I would say that the content is very similar. McIntyre is stand-up for the TV generation.

I agree though that comedy is extremely hard to judge. I guess the main point I am trying to make is that McIntyre is generally liked more by the casual comedy audience rather than the hardcore. That isn't a steadfast rule though.

Well there are more 'casual' comedy fans out there than 'hardcore' so it works out well for him.

Michael McIntyre is among the most talented comedians I've ever seen and I'd say the same of Stewart Lee but are they really in any way comparable? Is it possible to say one's better than the other?

I can't put one above the other because they're so very different from each other.

Quote: katie coe @ December 13 2009, 3:45 PM GMT

Well there are more 'casual' comedy fans out there than 'hardcore' so it works out well for him.

In that case fair play to him. I just hope that, to quote Bill Hicks, he likes sucking satan's cock.

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ December 13 2009, 3:46 PM GMT

? Is it possible to say one's better than the other?

Just work out which one you like the most.