Recorded For Training Purposes submissions for S4 Page 8

Quote: Crusty427 @ October 5 2009, 4:47 PM BST

I wish you could paste pictures as a reply, you get some great images when you type in 'monkey Nazi' on Google images, none with typewriters though.

True!

Quote: Nogget @ October 5 2009, 2:57 PM BST

I know they say they'll read everything, but how much dedication will they put into it? At best, they will find themselves getting jaded after reading the first few hundred scripts, because that's human nature. If they are anything less than fanatical, they might be tempted to skim through a few, if the first few lines aren't promising. I know I would. If they are anything like normal people, they will throw away 75% of the unsolicited scripts unread, and choose from the remainder. And if they are any worse than normal...who knows?

I don't know about other shows but for this one I know they try to have every sketch read by at least 2 people.

Quote: Afinkawan @ October 5 2009, 5:03 PM BST

I don't know about other shows but for this one I know they try to have every sketch read by at least 2 people.

I think if you're a professional reader you do read everything. And if your first lines are sucky and off putting then tough. They'd get people turning off in listener land.

Quote: Nogget @ October 5 2009, 2:57 PM BST

I know they say they'll read everything, but how much dedication will they put into it? At best, they will find themselves getting jaded after reading the first few hundred scripts, because that's human nature. If they are anything less than fanatical, they might be tempted to skim through a few, if the first few lines aren't promising. I know I would. If they are anything like normal people, they will throw away 75% of the unsolicited scripts unread, and choose from the remainder. And if they are any worse than normal...who knows?

I can't speak for other open door shows, but I know for a fact that they took a serious look at every single one last time (as it says on the BBC website, 2 people saw each one). As proof, I sent in mine right on the deadline and still had 2 sketches broadcast! They also went to the effort of sending comments to a large number of people who didn't have their sketches used but still showed promise. So if you sent things in, even late in the day, it was well worth you doing so.

Quote: sootyj @ October 5 2009, 5:04 PM BST

I think if you're a professional reader you do read everything. And if your first lines are sucky and off putting then tough. They'd get people turning off in listener land.

Bugger. My British Rail sandwiches sketch starts off a tad low-key (a brash Northern woman complains to conductor about the poor quality of her sandwich), and builds to a thrilling and (hopefully) humourous climax (brash Northern woman accidentally pulls conductor's trousers down - FX: swanee whistle).

I just hope to Christ that whoever reads the thing sticks with it to the end.

Fair enough, it seems like on past experience, the readers really do put in a super-human effort. I wonder how many they read per hour?

As proof, I sent in mine right on the deadline and still had 2 sketches broadcast! They also went to the effort of sending comments to a large number of people who didn't have their sketches used but still showed promise. So if you sent things in, even late in the day, it was well worth you doing so.[/quote]
Good work, Producer any chance of seeing your sketches/scripts, I think I'm right in saying that there is somewhere on this website you can show them, if they've already been broadcast obviously.

Quote: Nogget @ October 5 2009, 5:40 PM BST

Fair enough, it seems like on past experience, the readers really do put in a super-human effort. I wonder how many they read per hour?

It's more of a skill in it's self. You kinda learn to read quickly and throughly, like them types who can make 60 pasties in half an hour.

Quote: sootyj @ October 5 2009, 5:47 PM BST

You kinda learn to read quickly and throughly, like them types who can make 60 pasties in half an hour.

In that case, maybe Sebastian should change his script to "a brash Cornish woman complains to conductor about the poor quality of her pastie.

Quote: Tuumble @ October 5 2009, 12:55 PM BST

To put into some form of context I think they had 2000 last time so maybe the chances are better.

Ah, but you were allowed to send in 3 sketches last year, so I imagine the chances will be somewhat similar.

Yeah, I dare say in this case every single submission will be read. It's probably just topical shows like Newsjack where they're being bombarded with a few hundred sketches every week that they don't even come close. Which begs the question: why ask for no more than two sketches per writer when you've actually got the time and resources with which to read them, and three or four every week when you don't? Seems a little paradoxical to me, but there you go!

How about a sketch about a SatNav complaining about a British Rail sandwich? In an ironic way.
And preferring the pasty, though it still thinks only the best pasties come from that quaint little cafe in St Ives.

Oh drat, I missed the deadline. My comedy gold will never see the light of airwaves.

I don't half talk some bollocks. :P

Quote: The Producer @ October 5 2009, 5:33 PM BST

I can't speak for other open door shows, but I know for a fact that they took a serious look at every single one last time (as it says on the BBC website, 2 people saw each one). As proof, I sent in mine right on the deadline and still had 2 sketches broadcast! They also went to the effort of sending comments to a large number of people who didn't have their sketches used but still showed promise. So if you sent things in, even late in the day, it was well worth you doing so.

Hands up who thinks that 'The Producer' was making it up about having his two sketch ideas used last time. When I asked for a little look at what he'd already had aired on the last series of 'RFTP' it all went quite.

People who pretend to have work taken up and produced make me sick!!

What possible motive could he have for lying?

I was only joking, just a bit bored and wondered why the thread had ended so suddenly.

One thought or rather question if Producer does have his ears on was about whether or not he was asked having had his two sketches chosen if there's then opportunities to join the existing writing team.

Coconut cake really makes me sick.