Sitcom films Page 4

Steptoe.

Can't belive that you haven't seen Kevin on Harry Enfield Aaron.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 15 2009, 8:29 AM BST

What, in a box?

No

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ September 17 2009, 2:07 AM BST

No

In an urn?

Quote: bigfella @ September 15 2009, 9:41 PM BST

Can't belive that you haven't seen Kevin on Harry Enfield Aaron.

Like I said, I'm too young! :P

Top 3 for me are

Porridge
Dad's Army
Please Sir!, all watchable time and again with some great moments.

Others I've seen and would always watch again:

Are You Being Served? - if only for Mr Grainger walking in his big coat.
On The Buses x 3 - love the Holiday one
Steptoe and Son - especially the greyhound one with the drunk doctor attempting to give a dummy a death cert.
Likely Lads - better than the series
Man About The house
Father Dear Father
Love Thy Neighbour
Till Death Us Do Part
George And Mildred
Up Pompeii
Bless This House
Rising Damp

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ September 15 2009, 5:19 AM BST

I've spoken to Chris Strauli before and he said Leonard Rossiter "made life a misery" for him on set as he constantly wanted him to play the role like Richard Beckinsale.

Whereas Eric Chappell probably thought he should play the part as he played Norman in Only When I Laugh. I liked the other sitcom he did, Full House, as well.

Stella St. was close to getting in my top ten though, and has to be my favourite sitcom film of the last 25 years or so. But there haven't been many, so that isn't hard to achieve.

In spite of the criticism, I rather enjoyed the Bottom movie Guest House Paradiso and the Kevin and Perry movie Kevin And Perry Go Large.
Two similarly panned and lesser known movies that I own and can get quite a laugh out of are Les Patterson Saves The World with television favourites Dame Edna and Sir Les (not featured in sitcoms as such, but situation-comic interview programmes) and Absolument Fabuleux - the French film adapted from Absolutely Fabulous. Has any one seen either of these. If so, what did you think?
Although I am not such a fan of the comedy, the Are You Being Served? movie was a very well structured farce.

What are some sitcoms that people think would make good films?

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ September 15 2009, 8:19 AM GMT

I've spoken to Chris Strauli before and he said Leonard Rossiter "made life a misery" for him on set as he constantly wanted him to play the role like Richard Beckinsale.

I never warmed to Rossiter, and in a few comments from other actors on telly I surmised he was a pain in the arse to work with anyway.

Quote: sidecar jon @ February 19 2011, 9:25 PM GMT

I never warmed to Rossiter, and in a few comments from other actors on telly I surmised he was a pain in the arse to work with anyway.

So's Gene Hackman, but he's still one of the greats.

Quote: ToddB @ February 19 2011, 9:04 AM GMT

What are some sitcoms that people think would make good films?

I don't think any would. Sitcom and film are different mediums and with a very few exceptions, most films based on sitcoms have failed.

As has been mentioned:

The Likely Lads
Porridge

Both Clement & La Frenais classics. My third would be:

The Rebel - Tony Hancock again written by another genius writing team, Galton & Simpson

There was talk of a Peep Show film at one stage.

Luckily, it didn't happen.

No, Tony's a different character in The Rebel. Still some of that trademark Hancock stubborn pomposity, but he's definitely not Anthony Aloysius.

Was Irene Handl in Hancock's Half Hour? Admittedly it's been a few years since I last watched or listened to the series, but I don't recall her?

Quote: Griff @ February 20 2011, 12:41 AM GMT

Just looked and the Interweb reckons Sid was the landlord in HHH. I never really got that from listening to the eps. So, yes, The Rebel is definitely not any relation of HHH.

Again, disclaimer that I've not watched/listened in a couple of years, but I recall that they moved around a lot. Think the first radio series opened with something like Tony squatting in a mansion on Piccadilly, for example? Anyway, I think it may have ended up that Sid's "company" bought the house Hancock rented from his previous landlord. Don't have any recollection of how this may have been handled in the TV series, but of course S7 - Hancock - saw him out on his own in an Earl's Court almost-bedsit.