Sitcom films Page 2

My top three would be:
1. Till Death us do Part
2. Please Sir
3. Holiday on the Buses.

Dad's Army was on the other day that was pretty good. And the On the Buses films have rather more charm than the TV series. Till Death do us Part was also rather good.

For some reason sitcom films have had a poor reputation, certainly in the film books, but I don't think this is fair, there have been some classics. If you compare them too closely with the sitcoms they come from you are bound to find differences because of the nature of a feature film and the longer narrative and all the rest of it, pretty obvious. I've read some (stuffy) film guides where they have totally condemned the makers for even attempting a movie spin off, saying it has ruined the romance of the sitcom. I don't agree with this view one bit, all good sitcoms should have the right to make a movie version, but alas it just doesn't happen any more.
My own top 3 would be -
1 Steptoe & Son Ride Again
2 Dad's Army
3 Bless This House
4 Till Death Us Do Part
5 Holiday On the Buses
6 Steptoe & Son
7 Love Thy Neighbour
8 Porridge
9 The Likely Lads
10 On the Buses
One made in the 60s, the rest made in the 70s - that says a lot about British sitcoms and also, sadly, the state of our film industry today. England Sorry, there doesn't appear to be a Union Jack.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 11 2009, 11:17 PM BST

Has anyone other than me seen the big screen version of Father, Dear Father?

I particularly enjoyed the groovy party music.

My top three, by some distance, are:

1. The Likely Lads
2. Up Pompeii
3. Dad's Army

Porridge is okay, but not up to the standard of the TV Series, whereas I would say all those above are. (In fact Up Pompeii is rather better.)

Quote: Timbo @ September 12 2009, 1:16 PM BST

(In fact Up Pompeii is rather better.)

:O

The casting alone lifted it: Hordern, Cargill, Fraser, Maddy Smith (Phwoar!)

Does The Simpsons Movie count????

It's not British, so no. :P

Hey, let us have our one sitcom movie...

South Park? Futurama? (Have any of the latter's made it to cinemas, or just TV?)

Futurama's never made it to a theatre sadly.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 12 2009, 12:25 PM BST

One made in the 60s, the rest made in the 70s - that says a lot about British sitcoms and also, sadly, the state of our film industry today. England Sorry, there doesn't appear to be a Union Jack.

You could argue they are better quality today; Borat, In the Loop, Kevin and Perry Go Large.

Ah, forgot the Likely Lads film.

Quote: youngian @ September 14 2009, 1:30 PM BST

You could argue they are better quality today; Borat, In the Loop, Kevin and Perry Go Large.

Borat to the best of my knowledge was never in a sitcom - hence can't be a sitcom movie.

Kevin and Perry were in a sketch show and hence also does not qualify.

Stretching the genre a bit, and the film part too for that matter, but in an effort to be original (and at least move us to the 1990s!) I would propose that the Bottom stage shows were every bit as good if not better than the Bottom series.