What Have You Done Lately? Page 3

you don't have to be the best but I think all comedy writers out there can take great heart and encouragement from the terrible comedy commissioned on TV at the moment and think.

by Jove I can surely write something better than that

Funnily enough, (but not for me) a month or two ago, everything was happening for me. Producers showing interest in a few of my scripts, and taking them to meetings with other producers/networks, etc.

But now it all seems to have braked suddenly to an awkward halt. :(

Silence!

Not a word. No yay or nay. Limbo.

But tonight I've been polishing up an old pilot script (supernatural drama) of mine, (well, when I say old, it's about 8 months old) rewriting a bit of it and converting it from 45 minutes to 1 hour.
This is going to be my generic calling card drama script.

but I did do a Sitcom Trials entry

Blimey, Marc. You knocked that up quick.

I was too busy getting pissed at the weekend to write a last minute entry.

Mikey - don't get disheartened, just keep going. From the sound of it you're a prolific writer, and all the advice I've ever read or received is to keep writing /rewriting.

I've just been Skypeing a mate who I'm working on a comedy play with, along with a film maker - the hope is to take it to Edinburgh next year if we can get the funds / cast / director.

Got my sitcom trials entry in. Was a rewrite of a radio sitcom pilot and I found it a dead useful exercise as it basically made me streamline the script, get rid of an unnecessary character and focus on the funny.

Also dreaming up a couple of ideas for RFTP series 4, beginning an entry for a short film script comp, and writing gags for a friend who's started doing stand-up and realised he's not got enough material!

I sent a few letters to Viz, I hope to crack the letters page some time soon. I've already got a Profanisaurus entry. I'm also writing some ideas to send off to a greetings card company (cartoons and one liners).

I recently got some positive feedback for initial ideas for an animation with a producer, so I need to start writing some more ideas and get back to him.

Everything you write helps to build up your skills and often you can use some of the ideas you came up with for something else in new pieces.

I also think writing can be very absorbing and at the time of writing it's difficult to assess your work subjectively (e.g. you think it's great). Later when you look at something you have written you can see what bits are good and what aren't so good.

Keep at it people, if nothing else it won't make you any worse.

Quote: Scottidog @ September 8 2009, 8:45 PM BST

This is by far the most intersting thread I had read on here.

I never knew that this many of you have alot of prospects ahead of you. Nice. Well done.

It is actually quite inspiring, as I don't send anything out, not as yet anyway, and this makes me believe that if some of you are doing well, I'm sure I can...As I am funnier, and am the best writer.

You have to believe that, to be successful, like a boxer has to believe he is the best to win.

Doed everybody on here believe they are best? Surely you have to believe that in order to strive to to a success.
:)

No.

I am the best writer I know named Tim Walker. (Actually, saying that, the Tim Walker who writes for The Independent has his moments. :( )

I seem to have spent about two months thrashing out three ideas into one pagers.

there's a real skill to getting what is in your head down on to the page, and it's something I find really hard. I find it especially difficult to show where the stories come from, which is one of the things readers want to see.

I sent one of them off today and moments after it went I read it and thought... noooooo, that's not right.

I've also had a very interesting time researching a comedy drama I plan to write. I took someone from the Home Office out for dinner. it felt very professional.

As for whether you should believe you are the best writer in the world... I watch the X Factor, and can't help noticing that it's very rarely the ones with the 'belief' who have the 'talent'

To answer Scottidog - I only have to look at my crappy vids to see the lack of evidence for the idea that I'm the best.
:)
It's about voice and perseverance. Neither demand you be the best, just unique and politely stubborn.

Quote: jdubya @ September 8 2009, 10:34 PM BST

I've also had a very interesting time researching a comedy drama I plan to write. I took someone from the Home Office out for dinner. it felt very professional.

Yeah, yeah, I have to use the 'research' line to pull too, these days. :P

Oh and Mikey, don;'t sweat it. Pretty much the whole industry shuts down for August, what with Edinburgh and what have you.

Quote: jdubya @ September 8 2009, 10:41 PM BST

Oh and Mikey, don;'t sweat it. Pretty much the whole industry shuts down for August, what with Edinburgh and what have you.

Is it an industry now? :D

the business called show....

Quote: jdubya @ September 8 2009, 10:48 PM BST

the business called show....

That was the good old days. :)

You must be good at getting your ideas down on one pagers marc, have you always been good at it or was it learned?

Any handy hints?

Great to see so many BCGers have irons in fires and fingers in pies and tongues in crevices etc.

I'm about a quarter through the first draft of a sitcom pilot Hat Trick are looking at developing. I'm usually desperately unhappy with a new script at this early stage but it seems to be shaping up okay. I've also been asked to contribute to Recorded For Training Purposes. It'd help if I'd heard the show before. Anyone know where I can get my mitts on some audio? Also just finished a kids' show treatment my agent wants to show around.

Oh and I just sent in 76 greetings card ideas. I'm farking skint and need to pull my finger out with the cards - it's still my main source of income. Teary