The Green Green Grass - Series 2

The Green Green Grass

I am a great fan of Only Fools and Horses and I personally think it is the best British sitcom ever, fantastic characters, fantastic scripts ... its got the lot, but when I found out they were going to create a spin - off based around Boycie and Marlene I was slightly worried for two reasons.. 1) Though very funny, the last 3 episodes of Only Fools and Horses (2001, 2002 & 2003 Christmas Special) were not to the standard of previous episodes and had doubts that John Sullivan may have lost his touch 2) Though great in Odd scenes was not sure if Boycie and Marlene were strong enough to carry on a series, and thought a spin off on Trigger or a series set in the nags head would of been better...

But I have to say even though not to the standards of OFAH early days, Green Green Grass was a really good family sitcom! Boycie and Marlene really carried the series well, and the 2005 Christmas special was fantastic! We have A new series and another Christmas special to look forward too, and I can't wait!

What do others think of The Green Green Grass?

I quite like it. I think that the thing about the show is that apart from the origin of the main characters (and the occasional reference), it really has nothing to do with Only Fools and Horses. Extract it completely, just imagine that those characters are completely new, and it still works really well. Perfect example of a "spin-off", IMO.

I'm also the Only Fools equivelant of a Trekkie! I absolutely love it.

I really enjoyed Green, Green Grass. As Aaron says, it works on it's own merits, the references to OFAH reward you for being a long term viewer and the wacky characters are funny. It's completely different to OFAH, but works and Boycie and Marlene are written very well and give strong performances. Can't wait for series 2.

:/
I admit I haven't seen all of the episodes, and the l atest series does seem an improvement on the first, however I am still yet to be convinced by GGG. The beauty of OFAH was despite it being essentially a sofa comedy, the characters went anywhere, but this simply doesn't happen with GGG where there is too much of the "fish out of water" in the plotting and not enough comedy from the chracters.

IMHO :D

Incidentally, got to disagree with Davey O on the last three episodes of OFAH - the one were they accidentally kidnapped "Gary" was as funny as earlier classics.

I think GGG is the most diabolically awful sitcom ever! It's nowhere near funny, everyone I know NEVER raises a smile when they see it and we all think it's utter rubbish. The 2005 xmas special was a con because the papers said Boyice comes face to face with the Driscoll Brothers. They never said it would be in a dream! The first episode of series two was the last one I saw and when Boycie starts screaming at Jed and Bryan to turn the lawn mower off, he screams for a whole minute after they've done so! You can tell John Challis is just trying to make it funny but the script is absolute rubbish!

I bet John Challis and Sue Holderness have got insomnia when they heard about After You've Gone and I bet it really grates that the wonderful and talented Roger Lloyd-Pack was in Vicar of Dibley at Christmas, and in 2005 was in Harry Potter AND Doctor Who! That's because, HE is a good actor. And Challis stinks.

I personally think that it has picked itself up since it's start, the christmas ones were quite good, although the characters can get a bit annoying, but it was no where near as good as OFAH and i don't think any one expected it to be but it isn't that bad in my view, it made for entertaining viewing.

I dont find it funny, although it does have a slight entertaining value.

However to be fair, i have only watched 3 episodes.

Well I'll buck the trend and say I like it.Okay its not side-plittingly funny but what is nowadays?

They repeated the first episode tonight and I started watching it as there was nothing else on - and surprisingly I found myself laughing.

my mum and dad and a number of (older) people I know think it is funny but I can happily give it a miss. Very popular show though.

My only real criticism is that the farmhands are caricatures of yokels whereas OFAH characters seemed more real somehow

It is a bit lazy but as Aaron keeps pointing out these ae the type of thing that are popular and get commissioned.

I always remember thinking when I first saw the Thin Blue Line that Ben Elton was taking the piss.

I agree with Tuumble. They are indeed a bit flat at times.

And The Thin Blue Line was a work of genius!

Agree.

You know what annoys me about The Green Green Grass? The theme song. The lyrics say, "getting tired of the city....." But thats not true is it? They only left the city to escape the Driscol brothers. The show however has grown on me.