Peter Cook Page 4

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 22 2009, 9:14 AM BST

I really like the Train Robbery sketch too, which might have only been featured in the American run, I'm not sure.

It did appear in the London run at some point. Although the running order was fairly fixed by the time is established itself in the West End, they would try out new sketches. The New York run introduced a few new sketches, including the 'Thoughts From Abroad' group piece.

Some of the recordings of the American shows feature Paxton Whitehead (a British Oxbridge compatriot, who went on to become a regular minor actor in American TV comedy) who understudied and then replaced Jonathan Miller for part of the run (Miller returning to medicine, briefly).

In a script book I used to have, each of the cast was asked about their thoughts and memories of the time, looking back at the material. I thought Peter Cook was very honest to say, "Looking back, I may have done things as good, but none better. But then I never thought I would".

Whilst in New York, Dudley and Alan used to go out for dinner at a certain hotel, where the doorman would greet them with "Ah, Mr Moore, Mr Bennet... Behind The Fridge!", which is how Pete and Dud's subsequent stage revue show came to be named.

I was friends with one of his nieces, who unfortunately committed suicide. :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 22 2009, 11:10 AM BST

I was friends with one of his nieces, who unfortunately committed suicide. :(

That's awful.

It was, she was only in her early 20s too. When we first met, she wasn't very aware of how influential her uncle had been. One of the nice things (as a huge fan of his) was educating her a bit as to how much he was loved and respected.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 22 2009, 11:18 AM BST

One of the nice things (as a huge fan of his) was educating her a bit as to how much he was loved and respected.

(and fancied!)

She had a long history of depression. :(

Anyway, on a lighter note, for anyone who hasn't heard it, it's worth hunting down the radio series he recorded with Chris Morris, Why Bother?. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 22 2009, 11:29 AM BST

Anyway, on a lighter note, for anyone who hasn't heard it, it's worth hunting down the radio series he recorded with Chris Morris, Why Bother?. :)

Got it, one of my favourite Cook shows. Shows he still absolutely had 'it', right till the end of his life.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 22 2009, 10:55 AM BST

Behind The Fridge!", which is how Pete and Dud's subsequent stage revue show came to be named.

I've got some of that material, though it's called 'Good Evening' I think as the name changed at sme point. Some great sketches. There's one called Mini Drama that is just sublime.

'Behind The Fridge' was the name for their Australian tour, 'Good Evening' was basically the same in London.

'Mini Drama' is a brilliantly dark sketch. Harold Pinter thought this was the best thing in the show (perhaps unsurprisingly).

'Why Bother' is great. But I've got it on cassette tape, which means I can only listen to it in the car.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 22 2009, 11:02 AM BST

I also lived at the same public school as Peter Cook.

Explain, Dolly?

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 22 2009, 11:39 AM BST

Explain, Dolly?

Until I got fed up of living in the country.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 22 2009, 11:02 AM BST

I also lived at the same public school as Peter Cook.

He went to Radley, no? I also went there, but only to score a celebrity cricket match between some has-been cricketers and some sports journalists. My co-scorer for the day had zero interest in cricket and had brought a bottle of whiskey and a bag of weed into the scorebox, so our scoring was abysmal and our recognition of the players was very poor. But it was a fun day.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 22 2009, 11:41 AM BST

He went to Radley, no? I also went there, but only to score a celebrity cricket match between some has-been cricketers and some sports journalists. My co-scorer for the day had zero interest in cricket and had brought a bottle of whiskey and a bag of weed into the scorebox, so our scoring was abysmal and our recognition of the players was very poor. But it was a fun day.

When was this? I may have known/been related to the ex-cricketers....

It was at Radley that a school porter apparently gave him the idea for EL Wisty.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 22 2009, 11:43 AM BST

It was at Radley that a school porter apparently gave him the idea for EL Wisty.

Yeah, that was my dad.

(no, not really)