Peter Cook Page 6

Quote: His Own Devices @ March 12 2011, 2:57 PM GMT

Has anyone here heard of the 1980 LWT special "Peter Cook and Co"? It had Peter Cook along side the then unknown Rowan Atkinson, former Pythons John Cleese and Terry Jones, actor Robert Longden, and actresses Beryl Reid and Paula Wilcox. Sketches included a spoof of "Tales of the Unexpected", the plumber in the bumble bee costume and Neville Chamberlain returning from Germany. While there are a couple of clips on YouTube, I've been unable to find the whole thing unfortunetly.

About a third of it is on YouTube - in pretty poor video quality. Elsewhere there's a torrent of the full thing, running to nearly an hour.

Well, when I said unknown, I probably meant not as famous as he is now. Also, while Not The Nine O'Clock News was a hit, I don't think the first series was that well recieved.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/09/09/16111/unheard_peter_cook_archive_to_be_released

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 9 2012, 11:50 AM BST

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/09/09/16111/unheard_peter_cook_archive_to_be_released

Sounds Interesting. I love Peter Cook. I was only recently listening to 'Entirely a matter for you' his judge summing up the Jeremy Thorpe case from the 'Secret Policeman's Ball' 1979. 'You are now to retire, as should I, to carefully consider your verdict of not guilty.'

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 11 2011, 11:44 AM GMT

Just recieved my region 1 DVD copy of 'The Best Of What's Left Of Not Only But Also'; didn't realise it was out until it popped up in an Amazon search a few weeks back. Why is it out in America but not here? Surely a terrible oversight; we've just got a couple of 'best of' compilations!

It's probably exactly the same material. I'd like to see a complete "what's left of" Not Only... But Also....

Quote: His Own Devices @ March 12 2011, 2:57 PM GMT

Has anyone here heard of the 1980 LWT special "Peter Cook and Co"? It had Peter Cook along side the then unknown Rowan Atkinson, former Pythons John Cleese and Terry Jones, actor Robert Longden, and actresses Beryl Reid and Paula Wilcox. Sketches included a spoof of "Tales of the Unexpected", the plumber in the bumble bee costume and Neville Chamberlain returning from Germany. While there are a couple of clips on YouTube, I've been unable to find the whole thing unfortunetly.

I saw it earlier this year. I'm not a huge Cook fan, but thought it really quite funny indeed. A few sketches drag but much is highly amusing.

Peter Cook asked a fellow comedian what he was up to, the comedian said, 'I'm writing a book.' Cook replied, 'Really? neither am I.'

A compilation of sketches from Not Only... But Also on BBC2 10pm this coming Wednesday (6 July).

Possibly tennis over-run permitting.