Peter Cook Page 5

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 22 2009, 11:43 AM BST

It was at Radley that a school porter apparently gave him the idea for EL Wisty.

'I thought I saw it move . . .' :D

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 22 2009, 11:39 AM BST

'Behind The Fridge' was the name for their Australian tour, 'Good Evening' was basically the same in London.

Two shows of Behind The Fridge were recorded for Australia's 7 Network (or maybe the 9 Network). They are now available on DVD. Top quality recordings and top stuff.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 22 2009, 11:43 AM BST

When was this? I may have known/been related to the ex-cricketers....

1994 or 1995.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 22 2009, 11:48 AM BST

1994 or 1995.

Then it was just before my time.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 22 2009, 11:50 AM BST

Then it was just before my time.

Yes, I was always on the prowl in those days and did not encounter any blonde babes around the school, apart from a couple of the players' drunk wives/girlfriends at the oval.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 22 2009, 11:56 AM BST

Yes, I was always on the prowl in those days and did not encounter any blonde babes around the school, apart from a couple of the players' drunk wives/girlfriends at the oval.

Ah, so you know what people get up to under cricket covers. :)

I would try to write something cleverly lewd about balls, maidens, getting a leg over, getting a full toss, etc, but isn't a simple catch known in cricketing parlance as "a dolly"?

A catch maybe. But not simple. :D

And while on the subject, the biopic Not Only But Always included the final lines of the 'Records' sketch (from the album Ad Nauseum and the movie Derek & Clive Get the Horn), where Pete describes what he did to his wife 'Dolly' after she inadvertantly spoiled his attempt to get into The Guinness Book of World Records.

I watched the Rise & Rise of Michael Rimmer recently.
Not sure whether I liked it or not though.

I don't think anything has been done to this site for years, but there's a few things you can download for free, audio, such as sketches from a few different live shows, and a bit of video, so it's worth a look.

http://stabbers.truth.posiweb.net/stabbers/index.htm

I was reading in David Nobbs autobiography that David Nobbs was Peter Cook's big hero at Cambridge, to Nobbs's embarrassment. Nobbs was at Footlights just before I think. It may have something to do with the lack of surreal humour at this time (obviously David Nobbs is not so good), but it's interesting to see where his style developed from.

Just recieved my region 1 DVD copy of 'The Best Of What's Left Of Not Only But Also'; didn't realise it was out until it popped up in an Amazon search a few weeks back. Why is it out in America but not here? Surely a terrible oversight; we've just got a couple of 'best of' compilations!

Chris Morris and Cook's 'Why Bother radio series, a fiver; pick it up:

See Amazon product listing

And Cook's 'The Misty Mr Wisty' for as low as two pounds!

See Amazon product listing

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 11 2011, 11:44 AM GMT

Just recieved my region 1 DVD copy of 'The Best Of What's Left Of Not Only But Also'; didn't realise it was out until it popped up in an Amazon search a few weeks back. Why is it out in America but not here? Surely a terrible oversight; we've just got a couple of 'best of' compilations!

Prompted me to rewatch some of this last night, including the Alan A'Dale song. Of no possible interest to anyone is the fact that two of the guys singing the song - Bill Wallis and Joe Melia - both went on to play Mr Prosser in different versions of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Has anyone here heard of the 1980 LWT special "Peter Cook and Co"? It had Peter Cook along side the then unknown Rowan Atkinson, former Pythons John Cleese and Terry Jones, actor Robert Longden, and actresses Beryl Reid and Paula Wilcox. Sketches included a spoof of "Tales of the Unexpected", the plumber in the bumble bee costume and Neville Chamberlain returning from Germany. While there are a couple of clips on YouTube, I've been unable to find the whole thing unfortunetly.

Yes, I've watched that online somewhere, I want to get a full copy; I don't suppose there'll ever be an official release though, what with it being a one off special. Same with his sublime Clive Anderson special.