A bit about you Page 3

I started writing a couple of years ago, I have sold a few jokes to a local comedian and a few to 118 118. I am currently working with another writer on a sitcom script which is coming along nicely, I am also working on a few projects on my own which are more out of enjoyment than trying to sell them to someone really. I don't make a living from it but I don't know if I would enjoy doing it as much if I did it full time, although I wouldn't mind the opportunity to find out.

Hmmmm this thread seems to have a depressing tone to it. Least people can read it and then be fully aware the difficulties of writing. I couldn't really imagine trying to write anything unless it was a comedy. I dunno if that comes across as ignorant of other genres of writing or anything but I don't think I'd have the desire to write something that wasn't funny somewhere along the way.

Hi, @ anyone who is in the know about these things, are 118 118 still open to joke submissions? (apologies for this being in the wrong thread, I know people can get a bit sniffy about that kind of thing, but I saw a gentleman on this thread mention they had sold sketches to 118 118). Thanks :)

Quote: The Giggle-o @ July 14 2009, 10:02 PM BST

Hi, @ anyone who is in the know about these things, are 118 118 still open to joke submissions? (apologies for this being in the wrong thread, I know people can get a bit sniffy about that kind of thing, but I saw a gentleman on this thread mention they had sold sketches to 118 118). Thanks :)

Nope it's over.

Thank you for your prompt replies kind sirs (or sirettes).

Quote: The Giggle-o @ July 14 2009, 10:02 PM BST

I saw a gentleman on this thread mention they had sold sketches to 118 118). Thanks :)

I understand that '118 118' is the unique Inmate Number of a category A prisoner in high-security, Whitemoor Prison. The sketches (drawings in HB pencil) were sold to him in 2002; entitled; 'Dandelion In Teacup' and 'Virgin Valerie's Voluptuous Vagina' (circ. 1958). The artist is believed to be Dutch double killer, Johannes White van der Mann.

Quote: Joseff @ July 14 2009, 10:41 PM BST

I understand that '118 118' is the unique Inmate Number of a category A prisoner in high-security, Whitemoor Prison. The sketches (drawings in HB pencil) were sold to him in 2002; entitled; 'Dandelion In Teacup' and 'Virgin Valerie's Voluptuous Vagina' (circ. 1958). The artist is believed to be Dutch double killer, Johannes White van der Mann.

Wow that's amazing! There I was labouring under the false belief that 118 118 was a Directory Enquiries Service For Business and Residential Telephone Numbers. Silly, silly me.

Quote: Griff @ July 14 2009, 8:52 PM BST

Wave Ned! Long time no see.

Hey Griff, yeah long time indeed. I had a little argument with the good people at BT about my internet bill, it was supposed to be unlimited but they didn't charge it that way, anyway I told them I wasn't paying and they promtly cut off my service. Now I have a shiny new connection, I just hope they aren't a bunch of conning rip off bastards as well.

Quote: Lazzard @ July 14 2009, 5:53 PM BST

I used to make a fortune writing.
Trouble was it was adverts.

So I jacked it in to try this.

WHAT a twat.

Good for you though. Chris Neil (who seems like a nice guy) jacked in a very cushy life as a talent agent to write. He got 'Wonderful You' and, of course, 'Free Agents' produced. Best of luck. :)

Quote: WhatAmIDoing @ July 14 2009, 9:05 PM BST

Hmmmm this thread seems to have a depressing tone to it. Least people can read it and then be fully aware the difficulties of writing. I couldn't really imagine trying to write anything unless it was a comedy. I dunno if that comes across as ignorant of other genres of writing or anything but I don't think I'd have the desire to write something that wasn't funny somewhere along the way.

Well you just did!
:D

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 15 2009, 1:58 AM BST

Good for you though. Chris Neil (who seems like a nice guy) jacked in a very cushy life as a talent agent to write. He got 'Wonderful You' and, of course, 'Free Agents' produced. Best of luck. :)

Thanks for those kind words.
The funny thing is, although I worked with a ton of A-List actors/comedians/directors as an ad-man - when I approach in my 'writer' guise a lot of them don't want to know.
It's almost like they're in denial about their grubby encounters with advertising.
Didn't stop them taking the money though!
Still, just had word from my agent that someone's interested in a screenplay I 've got out there so...who knows?

How long have you been having a stab at it Lazzard, don't want to make any trite comments about persistence - but it's usually just not about talent, not nowadays anyway. There's not a lot of logic and ususally things just come down to timing.

Quote: Marc P @ July 15 2009, 9:57 AM BST

How long have you been having a stab at it Lazzard, don't want to make any trite comments about persistence - but it's usually just not about talent, not nowadays anyway. There's not a lot of logic and ususally things just come down to timing.

Well I got an agent a couple of years ago and he's been plugging away on my behalf.
Before that I took a year out to write a novel.
So, I guess it's not too long

Quote: sootyj @ July 14 2009, 9:20 AM BST

Are all 3 of is in agreement that commas are c**ts and should be done away with?

I think people who pick, you up on wrongly placed commas are ****'s and should be done away with! ;) ,

Quote: Lazzard @ July 15 2009, 10:00 AM BST

So, I guess it's not too long

Yeah hang in there!