Star Trek Movie! Page 5

This new one is the best Trek movie since Wrath of Khan.

It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. Felt very much like setting things up for a second part though, like the first X-Men flick.

I really enjoyed it too! :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 20 2009, 4:39 PM BST

It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. Felt very much like setting things up for a second part though, like the first X-Men flick.

Nothing wrong with that, it left me hoping there would be another one.

Quote: Afinkawan @ May 21 2009, 9:50 AM BST

Never said there was, just saying how it felt; I enjoyed the film.

It felt so Trek, like some how they'd distilled all the bits of it that worked and made it into a kind of essential oils of Trek movie.

And fearless absolutely fearless.

When xxxxx died and xxxxxx was destroyed 4 Trekkies in my cinema literally exploded with anger.

And the feel of the characters was dead right.

And working class Romulans as baddies? Bloody briliant.

I want lower middle class Klingons next.

Quote: Afinkawan @ May 21 2009, 9:50 AM BST

There can't not be another one after the reaction it's got. It was totally set up for sequel-ing, anyway - little mentions of characters, races...

Superb. Fantastic direction, amazingly-convincing performances, great effects...just wow. Even my missus thoroughly enjoyed it and she hates sci-fi. I don't mind telling you I shed a little tear right at the end when Nimoy was doing his speech and the original theme music started up.

This film has restored my faith in the whole Star Trek franchise. Could there be a spin-off series? Please God...

Quote: Lee Henman @ May 22 2009, 12:41 AM BST

Could there be a spin-off series? Please God...

Not with that cast I wouldn't have thought, but there will be more films. Are Enterprise and Voyager far enough away now for people to embrace a brand new Trek TV series . . ?

the end when Nimoy was doing his speech and the original theme music started up.

That was probably my favourite bit.

I've been watching some episodes of Enterprise, it wasn't all bad.

If they'd just laid off the bloody time travel and Xindi.
Trekies can be pretty destrcutive and stupid.

I don't mind telling you I shed a little tear right at the end when Nimoy was doing his speech and the original theme music started up.

I know what you mean. If I had been less English and more like an American, I would definitely have been whooping and cheering when the Enterprise came bursting out from behind Titan, all guns blazing.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 22 2009, 9:48 AM BST

Not with that cast I wouldn't have thought,

Why not? Are any of them megastars who would only do films?

Finally got around to seeing this last night in the lovely Greenwich Picturehouse.

Very good film, easily up there with the other best Trek films (Khan and First Contact). For me, a large part in the film's success is the casting of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. The new McCoy was especially entertaining.

I've actually managed to get my arse out to the cinema twice this year now. Hopefully the new Woody Allen with Larry David will get a release in UK cinemas. And then it might be three times!

Not as good as First Contact, or even The Voyage Home, but preferable to most others in the canon. Karl Urban was Bones to a tee, and Zachary Quinto made a decent stab at Spock; Simon Pegg did a respectable job of reinterpreting Scotty, and most of the other regulars were passable, though Chris Pine lacked any of Shatner's physicality or intensity as Kirk.

My main complaint was the lazy alternate reality plot device, that has absolved the writers of any necessity to remain faithful to established Star Trek lore in this or any future franchise outings. If Mitchell & Webb's screenwriter characters had been commissioned to do the script, this is what they might have come up with.

Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home were really, really good Khan may well be the best of the bunch. But for a film coming from a cold start it was astonishing. First Contact is good, but it doesn't have the Wrath of Khan's voodoo greatness.

Spock's death in WK, crikey that's a tragic moment.

Quote: sootyj @ May 28 2009, 8:01 AM BST

Spock's death in WK, crikey that's a tragic moment.

Although it would have carried more weight if he'd bloody well stayed dead, and not popped up in eight or more films.