Comparing TV Schedules 1970s & Now Page 2

And Robin doesn't even wear tights.
Rubbish.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 10 2009, 11:38 PM BST

Probably also worth noting that Robin Hood features a slender, good-looking black actor as Friar Tuck (I'm not joking).

He's not that slender. He's quite stocky. And a black actor as Friar Tuck is the least of Robin Hood's problems.

Quote: Badge @ May 9 2009, 11:18 PM BST

Also, irrespective of your views on 1970s comedy, This is Your Life and Dixon of Dock Green were never a barrel of laughs, were they?

It's very unlikely for BBC One to just have a night of comedy. Dixon Of Dock Green and This Is Your Life are not comedy, but the three sitcoms that were aired compared to last Saturday's schedules is quite telling of today's offerings from TV execs.

Quote: Mike Dan-Carter @ May 11 2009, 10:26 AM BST

It's very unlikely for BBC One to just have a night of comedy. Dixon Of Dock Green and This Is Your Life are not comedy, but the three sitcoms that were aired compared to last Saturday's schedules is quite telling of today's offerings from TV execs.

Dixon and This is Your Life were quite boring. You wouldn't want to watch them now.

Quote: Mike Dan-Carter @ May 11 2009, 10:26 AM BST

Comparisons are odious. Nowadays the programmes that dominate our schedules - soap, reality, etc - are cheap and easy to produce. And written about ad nauseum by the tabloids, which helps keep audiences (and more importantly) audience share big.

It's not exactly healthy, but I'm not quite sure what the point is you're making, other than "things were better in the olden days."

I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste.

If you are in to the cheap, sordid world of Big Brother, stacks of tacky reality shows and low quality comedy then today's television era is for you.

On the other hand if you wanted classic sitcoms filling your screens regularly, laced with interesting biographies of stars in This Is Your Life along with quality quiz shows compered by legends of television (a massive step up from much of today's tacky reality shows) then the 1970s was the era for you.

Quote: Craig @ May 11 2009, 11:08 AM BST

I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste.

If you are in to the cheap, sordid world of Big Brother, stacks of tacky reality shows and low quality comedy then today's television era is for you.

On the other hand if you wanted classic sitcoms filling your screens regularly, laced with interesting biographies of stars in This Is Your Life along with quality quiz shows compered by legends of television (a massive step up from much of today's tacky reality shows) then the 1970s was the era for you.

I still think you're trying to compare apples and lampshades. Things change. Things move on. Not always for the better, but nothing stays the same. And I quite like a lot of tacky reality crap made nowadays. :)

Quote: Craig @ May 11 2009, 11:08 AM BST

What were these 'classic sitcoms'? There are only a handful of really good sitcoms from the 1970s. Many of them were awful then and seem even more awful now. Every decade has produced 'classic sitcoms' and I really don't believe that today's TV comedy is in dire straits at all.

This is Your Life never presented 'intersting biographies'. They were mawkish, cleaned-up and often featured one 'big name' with some tenuous link to the subject. The quiz shows were pants too. Seriously take away the nostalgia value and little 1970s TV stands up as great.

TV today could benefit from more one-off dramas like the old Play for Today, but there's still some excellent drama around like The Street.

What were these classic sitcoms?

Steptoe And Son
On The Buses
Dad's Army
Rising Damp
Porridge
Bless This House
Fawlty Towers
Man About The House
George And Mildred
Porridge
Fawlty Towers
Please Sir!
The Likely Lads
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
Are You Being Served?

And lots more as well.

Today there is NOTHING that compares (in my eyes I must add as everyone has their own opinions) but please tell me what sitcoms the ITV produce now? Also the BBC are so out of ideas they are having to remake a 1970s sitcom.

As for quizzes/game shows the likes around then were Celebrity Squares, The Generation Game, Sale Of The Century, 3-2-1, The Golden Shot etc etc compered by renowned legends such as Bruce Forsyth and Bob Monkhouse whilst today we have reality shows filled with talentless people almost willing to sell their body to make a name for themselves. Comperes today include Ant and Dec....that says it all.

Quote: Craig @ May 11 2009, 11:24 AM BST

What were these classic sitcoms?

Steptoe And Son
On The Buses
Dad's Army
Rising Damp
Porridge
Bless This House
Fawlty Towers
Man About The House
George And Mildred
Porridge
Fawlty Towers
Please Sir!
The Likely Lads
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
Are You Being Served?

You could come up with a list of equal length for this decade as well.

Out of your sitcom list (which includes Fawlty Towers twice, you cheat ;)) there's only about seven critically acclaimed 'classic' shows.

Sale of the Century was depressingly dull, 3-2-1 was a joke - even back in the day and Brucie is still on the telly.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire is a brilliant quiz show. I haven't noticed And and Dec selling their bodies...

Quote: chipolata @ May 11 2009, 11:26 AM BST

You could come up with a list of equal length for this decade as well.

No doubt you could but not of the same quality and standard. The only sitcoms of today I find remotely humourous are Still Game and The Green Green Grass but they wouldn't fit into the same class as the list of 1970s classics. In my opinion of course.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 11 2009, 11:29 AM BST

Out of your sitcom list (which includes Fawlty Towers twice, you cheat ;)) there's only about seven critically acclaimed 'classic' shows.

Sale of the Century was depressingly dull, 3-2-1 was a joke - even back in the day and Brucie is still on the telly.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire is a brilliant quiz show. I haven't noticed And and Dec selling their bodies...

Selling their bodies was aimed at those that appear on Big Brother not Ant and Dec who wouldn't get much for theirs anyway.
:D

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire I enjoy and you should add that in your opinion Sale Of The Century was dull and 3-2-1 a joke as that is your opinion.

Quote: Craig @ May 11 2009, 11:31 AM BST

No doubt you could but not of the same quality and standard. The only sitcoms of today I find remotely humourous are Still Game and The Green Green Grass but they wouldn't fit into the same class as the list of 1970s classics. In my opinion of course.

Yes, I would agree there's a real problem with high quality mainstream sitcoms now, and a problem the BBC hasn't really got to grips with. But there's been plenty of classic shows in the last ten years - Peep Show, Extras, Pulling, etc - which will stand the test of time.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 11 2009, 11:29 AM BST

Sale of the Century was depressingly dull

I quite liked it when Nicholas Parsons got snotty with a contestant. And 3-2-1 was great just because it was so incomprehensible.

Quote: Craig @ May 11 2009, 11:35 AM BST

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire I enjoy and you should add that in your opinion Sale Of The Century was dull and 3-2-1 a joke as that is your opinion.

It is an opinion that is widely held though. In a poll a while ago these two shows were listed as among the worst ever made.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 10 2009, 8:19 PM BST

Anyway, youngsters (that is anyone under 60) should be out on a Saturday night. :)

:O

Craig, you've not been helping your argument by getting the title of one show wrong. It's simply The Green Green Grass - not 'Of Home'.