Doctor Who... Page 294

It was alright I enjoyed the hour I spent with it.
Ok Aliens in boiler suits are lazy and those Manta things looked as stupid as I thought they would.
But flying buses, a Welsh Lee Evans all good fun stuff.

I thought it was fun!

And the very last bit suggests proper serious stuff in some of the final three, not just 'romps', which is good.

It was Ok, about as good as I expected it to be really; which wasn't that much! The only really good moment was the hint about his end, which was exciting. This story itself felt small and lacking in thrills or threat. A very small, minor and pretty forgettable tale. In fact I'd go as far as to say it was one of the poorest adventures to star Tennant. The next one looked potentially scary though.

Quote: sootyj @ April 11 2009, 7:44 PM BST

those Manta things looked as stupid as I thought they would.

I thought they looked good, I don't understand where stupid comes into it? The story itself didn't make them seem all that threatening though.

Yeah, the water hands man looked cooool.

Hydro man

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 11 2009, 7:48 PM BST

It was Ok, about as good as I expected it to be really; which wasn't that much! The only really good moment was the hint about his end, which was exciting. This story itself felt small and lacking in thrills or threat. A very small, minor and pretty forgettable tale. In fact I'd go as far as to say it was one of the poorest adventures to star Tennant. The next one looked potentially scary though.

I thought they looked good, I don't understand where stupid comes into it? The story itself didn't make them seem all that threatening though.

More I'm a CGI snob and felt you could always see they were computer generated kinda like on a cheap scifi film.

As oposed to stuff Startreks been doing for ages.

Quote: sootyj @ April 11 2009, 7:58 PM BST

More I'm a CGI snob and felt you could always see they were computer generated kinda like on a cheap scifi film.

As oposed to stuff Startreks been doing for ages.

I can't recall a show, or a film even, that's done a computer generated monster that I ever thought looked anything other than computer generated. I wish they just wouldn't bother as it always takes something away from the piece when the big, bad monster of the week is obvioulsy cartoon like.

Lord of the Rings.

Quote: Gavin @ April 11 2009, 8:06 PM BST

Lord of the Rings.

Come off it, I've seen those films! You appreciate the artistry in a creation like Kong, or the beasties in Rings, but you never get past the fact that it's obviously a computer effect. At least I don't.

Was expecting it to be awful but was alright not brillaint but passable.

Battlestar Galactica, Startrek Enterprise

Quote: Mike88 @ April 11 2009, 8:09 PM BST

Was expecting it to be awful but was alright not brillaint but passable.

It was basically like one of those passable filler episodes they have during a full series run. But this wasn't a full series, it was one of four specials to see off a great Doctor, which makes the passable nature of the episode somehow worse. It's one of his last four, why did they settle for so undistinguished a tale? Anyway. Hopefully Davies will step up his game and is saving his big guns for the final few.

Quote: sootyj @ April 11 2009, 8:12 PM BST

Battlestar Galactica,

Come off it, I'm working my way through Galactica at the moment, and those robots are extremely well done, but still clearly computer generated. That said, they are really very,very well done in this case, and something about the artificiality of them seems to actually add to their creepiness.

Startrek Enterprise

Can't comment; the sheer awfulness of that theme tune meant I very rarely got any further into it!

Battlestar Galactica,

I'll just say how brilliant this show is too. Even though it's over now and I'm only half way through series two. Great Sci-fi; even my girlfriend loves it!

Have you seen Battlestar Gallactica:Razor?

What a pile of poo. If it wasn't for Michelle Ryan I would have switched off. You know it's a bad episode when Matthew Stott struggles to say too much positive about it!

There are a few scenes in BSG and LOTR when they catch you out.

I mean famously in LOTR that giant elephant thingy sticks out as an especially bad effect compared to the 1000s of others.