That's My Bush!

Given that this site is all about sitcoms, I wonder if many members have watched (and enjoyed or disliked) That's My Bush! - the sitcom parody made by South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone?

You don't actually point out whether or not you've seen it. Have you? I've never seen it. It didn't last very long. 8 episodes.

I have watched it all and enjoyed it. I wouldn't classify it as brilliant, although it was certainly original and silly.

I like it partly because it stars Kurt Fuller (as Karl Rove), who is one of my favorite comedy actors (he was Russell the TV producer in Wayne's World, the Sheriff in Scary Movie, Werner Klemperer in Auto Focus and has guested in numerous TV series).

It also stars Marcia Wallace (as the wise, kindly maid), who is best known for providing the voice of Bart Simpson's school teacher Mrs Krabappel. Her character is reminiscent of Mrs Garrett, the overweight maid in Diff'rent Strokes.

The main star is Timothy Bottoms as George W. and he's great. Looks and sounds perfect for the role.

Unlike South Park, That's My Bush never attempts to be even remotely cerebral or preachy.

Comedy Central canceled the show after eight episodes because it was costing $700,000 an episode and not winning enough ratings. Perhaps some viewers had been expecting South Park crude humor meets harsh political satire attacking the Bush administration. Instead, the show was a deliberately stupid spoof of formulaic American sitcoms, with over-the-top acting, a laugh track, a next-door neighbor who keeps visiting solely to make lame jokes, a dumb blonde secretary and domestic sub-plots that could have been from Married With Children or All in the Family. The theme song, sung by Trey Parker, is awesome.

The final episode was the best, involving Bush being ousted by Dick Cheney (so the show is retitled That's My Dick! and then What a Dick). Bush ends up trying his hand at a range of other jobs, which gives Parker and Stone an excuse to spoof the opening credits and jokes of sitcoms from Cheers (called Brewhaha) to Just Shoot Me (Witty Banter).

I would love to see Parker and Stone resurrect the idea with an Obama sitcom in the style of The Cosby Show in the White House.

One of these days Laura, I'm gonna punch you in the face!

Quote: brent @ March 29 2009, 6:42 AM BST

One of these days Laura, I'm gonna punch you in the face!

Oh yes, and it had a great closing catchphrase, spoofing Ralph Kramden's catchphrase "One of these days, bam, right in the kisser!" from The Honeymooners.

I does look like the type of show I'd enjoy. I've added it to my growing list of shows that I want to see.