The Brittas Empire Page 2

Quote: sootyj @ December 16 2008, 3:44 PM GMT

I suspect channel 5 docos about helicopters pay loads, especially when repeated on National Geographic for ever.

Can't feel as good as fronting your own sitcom though.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 16 2008, 3:41 PM GMT

That's what I asked in my original post, why isn't he in comedy stuff any more? I'm sort of wondering whether he's be right for something I'm working on, purely because I'd like to see him on TV again! Rimmer rules!

When I used to work for a video store in Brighton he presented the Annual Video Retail awards - surely the Oscars of the video rental industry!

Quote: chipolata @ December 16 2008, 3:45 PM GMT

Note to self: disregard last note to self.

Note to self: Kick Chip in the nuts, repeat until tired.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 16 2008, 3:47 PM GMT

Note to self: Kick Chip in the nuts, repeat until tired.

Note to self: wait until Matt's tired then punch him in the coccyx.

Have you chaps read the line under Post Reply?

Shame on you.

Quote: sootyj @ December 16 2008, 3:54 PM GMT

Have you chaps read the line under Post Reply?

Shame on you.

I blame everyone who isn't me. Anyway, how about that Brittas Empire? I vaguely remember that show.

Quote: David Bussell @ December 16 2008, 3:58 PM GMT

I blame everyone who isn't me. Anyway, how about that Brittas Empire? I vaguely remember that show.

Your extreme age is probably befuddling your remembering matter.

My brother loves it and has some of the DVDs. I've not seen it myself, but hope to get down to watching it in the New Year, one of the many hundreds of DVDs I need to watch.

Quote: Jack Massey @ December 16 2008, 7:14 PM GMT

My brother loves it and has some of the DVDs. I've not seen it myself, but hope to get down to watching it in the New Year, one of the many hundreds of DVDs I need to watch.

Bump it up the list a bit, it is well worth a watch. Great show.

It is a funny show.

I really liked this when I was little. I recently rewatched episode 1, though, and found it terrible. Others on here seem to say the same thing, so maybe I need to dip into the later series. It certainly has a great theme tune - the sort that they don't do anymore.

Quote: Ben @ December 23 2008, 7:38 PM GMT

I really liked this when I was little. I recently rewatched episode 1, though, and found it terrible. Others on here seem to say the same thing, so maybe I need to dip into the later series.

Episode one is beyond terrible, yes.

Sorry to chime in so late on this thread, but The Brittas Empire did contain one of the funniest moments in sitcom history. Sorry if this description sounds vague, but it really does come from the darkest recesses of my dusty memory banks.

There was a receptionist woman (Sally?) who kept her baby in a drawer and for whatever reason, she thought Brittas had kidnapped it. She was threatening to destroy the leisure centre with a digger until Brittas jumped out in front of her holding a fake baby doll. She thought the doll was her child and Brittas was trying to show her that it was fake by twisting it's head around over and over again.

I know it doesn't sound funny on paper, but it made me laugh to the point of tears when it was shown. I also remember that the show had some fit bits of totty in gym skirts showing off their tanned legs all the time, which is nice.

I've been sky plussing the repeats of this on GOLD recently as I loved it as a child. I was worried that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered, but it's even better! I have watched about 30 episodes in the past few days and, whilst some are a bit hit and miss, many are brilliant. Totally farcical, but pretty clever in places. I'm now going to invest in the boxset!

I finally got down to watching the first two episodes in the first series. First impressions, not great, but very funny in some places. The thing is though, you can't watch two episodes back to back as Gordon will become too annoying. Saying though, that's just the first series, I do believe he was dumbed down a little bit for the second and subsequent series.