The Brittas Empire

I imagine many will hate this show, but sod it, I used to love it when I was little and on a whim, having not seen it since, picked up the first series recently on DVD. And I'm loving it! Well, the first two episodes are dire, the first one in particular, but from then on I've really been enjoying it. It seems like the kind of silly but very mainstream show the creators of Lab Rats were trying for, but failed. It's nice that something from my childhood hasn't turned out to be a complete stinker, though I bet there's lots of you out there who despise the show! Anyway, there we go. I wonder why Chris Barrie isn't on telly anymore.

I always enjoyed it, though when Brittas was resurrected with different writers for a further couple of series it was beyond poor.

Chris Barrie does documentaries on Five quite a bit now. Mega Machines or something?

Anyway, yeah, I've not seen too much of it TBH, but have really enjoyed what I have.

Quote: Timbo @ December 14 2008, 10:21 PM GMT

I always enjoyed it, though when Brittas was resurrected with different writers for a further couple of series it was beyond poor.

I'm not sure I noticed at the time, as I certainly watched it to the end, but I believe the last two series are thought of as being very poor.

Quote: Aaron @ December 14 2008, 10:25 PM GMT

Chris Barrie does documentaries on Five quite a bit now. Mega Machines or something?

I mean more on the acting side really, he doesn't seem to turn up in comedies anymore anyway.

And don't forget his health and safety video for Co-op staff to watch!

They must always put a mat in front of the grape section. Because they often fall on the floor and are a dangerous slipping risk.

I learned that from him, I did.

Quote: zooo @ December 14 2008, 10:45 PM GMT

And don't forget his health and safety video for Co-op staff to watch!

They must always put a mat in front of the grape section. Because they often fall on the floor and are a dangerous slipping risk.

I learned that from him, I did.

:D I have to see that.

I used to love it when I was little

Crap! you made me feel old with that comment and I'm only 38y/o *eek*

I loved Mr Brittas! .... Eeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent.

I've got to say I really enjoyed it, and thought some of the 'middle' series (around series 3 and 4, I think) were absolute genius. The first wasn't brilliant (but alright) and the last couple seemed to lose it totally (basically after Laura left, there was no 'normal' character).

Also, on an ever-so-slightly related note, Tony Kirwood, who's taught a few of us some of this comedy-writing malarkey, is the recurring character of the vicar in this show.

Dan

Whatever happened to Chris Barrie? He is undoubtedly a tremendously fine comedy actor - as this and Red dwarf testify - but he hasn't really done that much more than those shows.

Britass always made me smile, in a simple minded pantomime sort of way.

It had lots of gags, decent sitcom plot and Chris Barrie was a sort of untramelled comedy power house.

Quote: chipolata @ December 16 2008, 3:39 PM GMT

Whatever happened to Chris Barrie? He is undoubtedly a tremendously fine comedy actor - as this and Red dwarf testify - but he hasn't really done that much more than those shows.

That's what I asked in my original post, why isn't he in comedy stuff any more? I'm sort of wondering whether he's be right for something I'm working on, purely because I'd like to see him on TV again! Rimmer rules!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 16 2008, 3:41 PM GMT

That's what I asked in my original post

Note to self: pay more attention to Mathew Stott's posts.

Quote: chipolata @ December 16 2008, 3:42 PM GMT

Note to self: pay more attention to Mathew Stott's posts.

A lesson for everyone there.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 16 2008, 3:41 PM GMT

That's what I asked in my original post, why isn't he in comedy stuff any more? I'm sort of wondering whether he's be right for something I'm working on, purely because I'd like to see him on TV again! Rimmer rules!

I suspect channel 5 docos about helicopters pay loads, especially when repeated on National Geographic for ever.

Note to self: disregard last note to self.