The Brittas Empire Page 5

Well what a brilliant reunion that was. Met all the cast and the writers, couldn't have been lovelier, especially nice chatting to Andrew Norriss about Chance in a Million too!

So no one died in the swimming pool, then? Bit disappointing. Mind you that would be meta.

Pictures were great to see, the cast still look the same. Hopefully they will get back together for a one off special?

Does anyone know if the Brittas Empire is available on BritBox, Netflix, or any other streaming or catch-up services? It seems you can't check what's on these services unless you already have an account...
Thanks

Quote: Piggler @ 13th December 2020, 4:02 PM

Does anyone know if the Brittas Empire is available on BritBox, Netflix, or any other streaming or catch-up services? It seems you can't check what's on these services unless you already have an account...
Thanks

I can confirm it's not on Netflix and I very much doubt it's on Britbox but I can't confirm that. I've got the boxset. It's rarely repeated on Gold either these days.

Dailymotion has full episodes

Thanks, both :-)

Watched some of this recently on a rerun and cringed at some of the writing. Memorable lead character played OTT by the great Chris Barrie but some of the dialogue was woeful. I thought he possibly lacked a strong opponent too but didn't watch enough of it to find out. Was one of those I thought I'd watched more of at the time, but I'd probably have had the same cringe wary response to it, watch a bit then turn over.

The Brittas Empire is now available on BritBox.

I believe it is Series 1 to 5 (of seven) at the moment, but they were only added at the end of November, so the final two are likely to follow this year.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 9th February 2022, 9:35 AM

Watched some of this recently on a rerun and cringed at some of the writing. Memorable lead character played OTT by the great Chris Barrie but some of the dialogue was woeful. I thought he possibly lacked a strong opponent too but didn't watch enough of it to find out. Was one of those I thought I'd watched more of at the time, but I'd probably have had the same cringe wary response to it, watch a bit then turn over.

Do you think you may have been conditioned against the traditional sitcom somewhat but more naturalistic dialogue in recent comedies and dramas?

I fear that's the case now for many slightly younger and casual viewers but not for someone who still mostly watches trad sitcoms like me. No I'm more attuned to the theatrical style of dialogue and its delivery in trad studio sitcoms, thank God, but I'm also fussy and critical, and the dialogue in TBE was at times trite and lacking, for me. I thought it was a sitcom that deserved a better script TBH, especially as Gordon Brittas was a sort of proto Alan Partridge, in a way.

Having said that, referring to

Quote: Aaron @ 9th February 2022, 7:28 PM

Do you think you may have been conditioned against the traditional sitcom somewhat but more naturalistic dialogue in recent comedies and dramas?

I do fear that any attempt to revive the old trad style sitcom dialogue delivery and the larger than life characters it comes out of will be tainted with this modern day bias against it and considered old hat and corny. Then you have the hurdle of what you can make gags about in the minefield of political correctness on steroids. It gives me little hope for a revival of the sitcom we once knew so well. ? Pharrrrp.