Bad Blood Boils on Boards Page 2

yeah I was only joking about a joke...I will be quiet until I can think of something more constructive :$

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 22, 2007, 3:13 PM

och, behave

I've got it. Alan Alexander is really Oor Wullie! I claim my five pounds.

Thanks for the kind words RE. Those samples are out-of-date now. They've been rewritten but I haven't updated the site.

Leevil :D

You have a knack for making me laugh. I was going to add something else but I'll tell you that in PM.

Charlie aren't you supposed to be carrying a newspaper when you say that to get the fiver?

hehe maybe he is but you just cant see it

Quote: SlagA @ June 22, 2007, 3:59 PM

Leevil :D

You have a knack for making me laugh. I was going to add something else but I'll tell you that in PM.

If it's what I think it is, I told you, not until after the high school prom, that way it will be classy.

OK, I apologise to everyone in general and Alan in particular. Live and let live etc. But I seriously do apologise to Alan. Sometimes I get carried away with an argument and my views become distorted/bollocks. So again I apologise and rettract all my posts today (apart from this one). I apologise for my vitriol and my personal attacks, everyone has the right to express their view in this forum. I never intend to get personal or aggressive although I acknowledge I may have done. So I apologise again.

Peace in our time :)

Ajp are you on the double scotch's early?

No I'm deadly serious, I was wrong, I am sorry.

You have my total respect for this, AJP. Offering an olive branch takes courage and bravery.

As to who or what caused what? Who cares as long as we can respect each other's opinions (or if we can't do that, respect the right for other's to think what they want to think whether we believe them misguided or whatever)?

Let's carry on doing what we're here for. Which is learning from each other.

I hear you Blenk.
However one small comment.
My favourite comic of all time DID talk about issues regarding politics and life in general. He was banned from shows, yet WHY for having a fooking opinion. Mr Bill Hicks I adore you.
Now I dont want to see anyone get banned from anywhere for voicing an opinion.
We are all friends here surely. Why cant we discuss issues aswell as talk comedy.
Lets discuss things we can maybe change, not past history we are not responsible for, but the history we are making now. The in my opinion pointless War on Iraq, the state of our NHS. Yardey yarder.
Ajp you do not need to apologise for your opinions nor does Mr AA They are what makes us human for god sake.
Words are so powerfull. One man can get on his soap box and voice his. Before you know it 10 people agree and they get their soap box out & wahooo! thousands turn to millions.
Now everybody be cool, this is a robbery.Well almost. Dont take away our opinions while we are still allowed them.

Fair point Charley

But made and delivered with a thought out, joined-up approach. I don't have any problems with that at all.

It's just when things degenerate into tit for tat mindless insult hurling then it becomes no longer an adult discussion, but merely kids squabbling over a football (or mindful of your womanly qualities)a Barbie doll.

Did you ever have a Barbie Doll? Laughing out loud

Edit

Why would a Barbie Doll be squabbling over a football anyway?

Laughing out loud Blenk.
No, mummy could not afford to splash out on a Barbie doll. I got the 'Council House Cindy'.
Your are right in whart you are saying. Opinions should be voiced without name calling. Opinions will always differ. I feel the need for a change in my sig now, so I am off to do it.

Flannan Isle!

Well, I came here today ... and nobody was anywhere to be seen. Then I found out where the lot of you had cleared off to!!! Over 110 posts, two closed threads, blood an' gore splattered all over the place ... pretty much like a normal day!

I want to say a couple of things:

1. When doing critiques we can point out typos and spelling errors ... because that, hopefully, helps the writer present stuff, at least gramatically, to his intended audience (e.g. firstly some hard-nosed unsympathetic executive in a production company). In that case we are operating as 'help' in pointing out such errors. But ... in general discussion we should not be pointing out typos, spelling errors, etc. That's because general discussion is just 'one up' from speech (or it's 'written speech' if you prefer), we get excited, jump about, express stuff with Ums and Ars and grunts interspersed. I was interviewed (taped) once by a journalist who sent me a verbatim transcript of what I'd actually said on a very technical subject ... frankly I cringe every time I look at it ... so I know what I must sound like when I'm pouring out stuff close to my heart. It's a battle to get the words right and your point across ... it backfires sometimes ... won't go the way you want ...and so on and so on. So I propose Rule 1 ... it ain't allowed to pick up on typos and spelling in general discussions on anything here. That will stop a lot of time being wasted and things getting rapidly off the original point!

2. The Madeleine McCann topic. It deserved far better than it got. But nothing is known yet (or at least nothing has been firmly established) about what might really be the outcome in this tragic case. There are obviously many hypothetical outcomes we might've sensibly discussed but, once again things got completely sidetracked and the thread was shut down. In my house we discuss this sort of thing when it appears in the news. Opinions are divided between:

a) The parents may be 'hiding' some ghastly fact known only to them.

b) The child was abducted and passed on ('sold') to some rich but otherwise childless family who have now taken her to a 'new' life.

c) She was murdered and the body hidden. There will be no closure for the parents until the body is found, if it ever is.

d) She was abducted but is now being kept somewhere by her kidnapper who, with half the world's police and media on the case, is by now nervous as hell (and probably potentially dangerous) unless he (or perhaps even she) can be pursuaded to release the child.

I'm sure we can each think of a few more hypotheses, some feasible and some pretty daft. Of the above only b) or d) might, one day, lead to a 'satisfactory' (as opposed to horrible) outcome. Even if, God forbid, the parents are involved more than as just 'parents', this is a very very sad business and it needs to be resolved soon.

So, Rule 2, try and stick to the subject, in both an adult and considerate way and remember that slanging off each other adds nothing to the discussion (especially if it result in the thread being closed!)

Well, that's enough from me for the moment, welcome back to the lighthouse!!!

I for one love this place but recently have been restraining from posting due to me not wanting to get caught up in a silly argument, hopefully we can all steer away from the name calling and have some grown up chat about comedy, and all the other topics discussed here.

Wise words from Mike. Charley, impresses me with her grace. Robert, you're not alone, mate. I woke up this morning to a flashing red-alert light over my PC.

I don't believe anyone will get a ban for expressing an opinion but rather the manner in which it is expressed. Free speech, yes. Attacking fellow writers, no.