Madeleine McCann Page 3

I agree with Alan, it was a disgusting thing for Aaron to post.

Quote: ajp29 @ June 22, 2007, 12:00 PM

Well because children are killed everyday yet you seemed to only care when it is in the news and overreact to a person's comments which were obviously to be taken in the manner they were made, not seriously.

You seem to want to censor people, thats my problem. Either through criticism or through reactionary, ill-judged comments. Whenever you enter a debate you suck the life out of it by putting everyone on the defensive, yet you have not prooved to anyone that you are worthy of having this attitude that you have because you have not prooven that you are a professional writer. Give us some evidence that you deserve the status you demand then people may pay more attention to you're comments. Other BSG users do this by being honest, polite and engaging. You haven't.

What has my professional status got to do with anything? Are you saying that I can only be offended by Aaron's comments if I can give you an imdb run down?
I don't need to prove anything to you. Although I just proved I can spell prove.

Well done Alan you've outdebated me yet again so I guess I'll have to bow out gracefully.

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 22, 2007, 12:00 PM

I have no idea what point you're trying to make.
Do you?

I have never had any problem with you Alan but I have to point out that when you reply to something you disagree with, you do add thinly veiled insults that have a veneer of politeness. Clever people often do this and get a sense of victory when they see their point is hammered home. However, I feel this is a pyrhic triumph as you lay waste all friendly ground that is before you when people, as you have often pointed out, are only voicing their opinion. you have defended yourself vehemently when others have taken offence at a comment you have made but do not seem to apply the same rationale when the tables are turned.

I may not always know what I mean but I think that you do. If you say something that has a barb, surely it will snag on something.

Quote: Wildjesusfishkid @ June 22, 2007, 12:10 PM

I have never had any problem with you Alan but I have to point out that when you reply to something you disagree with, you do add thinly veiled insults that have a veneer of politeness. Clever people often do this and get a sense of victory when they see their point is hammered home. However, I feel this is a pyrhic triumph as you lay waste all friendly ground that is before you when people, as you have often pointed out, are only voicing their opinion. you have defended yourself vehemently when others have taken offence at a comment you have made but do not seem to apply the same rationale when the tables are turned.

I may not always know what I mean but I think that you do. If you say something that has a barb, surely it will snag on something.

So, what was your point?

I think that all that happened here was that Alan was offended by Aarons glib remark about what might have happened to the girl, and originally that is all he expressed.

I get on with people here and I don't want to become part of an argument but I feel like I should take my side on this one.

**Although it's hard to express over the net, I am seeing and responding to all this as discussion not argument so please read my tone as such.**

I had a feeling this thread may kick off...

Alan, I'm very sure Aaron didn't mean what he said; if he did I would be very, very worried. Although it may have been in bad taste you should try and move on.

Alan

If you thinly veil an insult, it is a deliberate act of aggression isn't. I don't think my point is unclear (to all intelligent people).

(I have included some barbs and placed them in parenthesis so you can understand.)

To quote Woody Allen.

"This is not a joke. (I have included a joke so you can tell the difference.)

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 22, 2007, 11:24 AM

Nice smiley. What a disgusting thing to post. You really are a piece of work.

Why did he have a go at Aaron calling him a piece of work. Like WJFK said his posts are barbed and when he is confronted he runs away from the debate

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 22, 2007, 12:03 PM

I don't need to prove anything to you.

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 22, 2007, 12:18 PM

So, what was your point?

Quote: paul watson @ June 22, 2007, 12:23 PM

I had a feeling this thread may kick off...

Alan, I'm very sure Aaron didn't mean what he said; if he did I would be very, very worried. Although it may have been in bad taste you should try and move on.

I'm perfectly happy to move on. It just seems extraordinary that aomeone can post something so hateful and when challenged a bunch of others jump in with glib defences. Words are powerful things, as we all know.
Aaron may not have meant what he posted, although he hasn't denied it. If he wasn't being smug and wilfully offensive but just joking, I have to say I fail to see the joke.

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 22, 2007, 12:27 PM

It just seems extraordinary that aomeone can post something so hateful

Professional writer who can't spell someone, who'd have thunked it, maybe he's a noone

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 22, 2007, 12:27 PM

Words are powerful things, as we all know.

When spelt correctly.

I've written hundreds of sketches and thousands of gags and here's another one - a gang of Sun readers turned up in Portugal and smashed a ring of pedaloes - I am therefore qualified to discuss the matter of Aaron's post. I'm guessing Aaron doesn't have children. There is no one on this Earth hates children more than I do. I just don't like the inarticulate, smelly, little swines but if you laid a finger on one of my kids I would ensure you suffered more than they ever did. I'd give every penny I have to pay for you to suffer and I might even join in.
I hate that it's the parents' fault she was able to be taken but I'm sure they do too. I'm not offended by Aaron's post but I'd just say this - even if you gave all the money to starving kids in Africa how would that help the specific situation the McCanns are in? That's always assuming the people who put up the money in the first place want it to go to Africa, of course.

Quote: ajp29 @ June 22, 2007, 12:26 PM

Why did he have a go at Aaron calling him a piece of work. Like WJFK said his posts are barbed and when he is confronted he runs away from the debate

I'm not running away from the debate. My position is this: Aaron posted something as offensive as it was stupid. I think that sort of thing should be challenged. I do not see the relevance of issues of poverty in Africa when it comes to challenging Aaron's wee chuckle at the possibility of a child being buried in a shallow grave in her parents' garden.
I don't think I can make myself much clearer.

Quote: ajp29 @ June 22, 2007, 12:29 PM

Professional writer who can't spell someone, who'd have thunked it, maybe he's a noone

Oh, for christ's sake. You're clinging to a typo for comfort?

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 22, 2007, 12:03 PM

I don't need to prove anything to you. Although I just proved I can spell prove.

Quote: Alan Alexander @ June 22, 2007, 12:32 PM

Oh, for christ's sake. You're clinging to a typo for comfort?

My point Alan was that of all the things to be offended by in the world today the fate of one girl is not high up there on the list. As in my original post I suspect people are so concerned only because she is 'of the faith' and for no other reason. The situation was of the McCanns' own making and I feel no sympathy for them but I do for the little girl.

I just don`t see how Aaron`s comments can be defended.

I`m easy going and like to get on with everyone, but how someone can write that about a young girl is beyond me.

I was actually quite shocked when I read his post.