Only Fools... where to stop? Page 4

Quote: zooo @ June 16, 2007, 2:39 PM

He wasn't in Porridge... was he?

Yes, in one or two episodes. Playing an old codger called Blanco.

Oh!

Couldn't let Barker have something to himself for five minutes could he?
Tut. :)

Porridge was before Open All Hours. I think he just thought DJ was brilliant.

The one where Blanco (?) was released was on this week somewhere. I watched it and you can't say he wasn't a good actor there.

Maybe the scripts on the latest thingweren't so good and OFAH did drag on but you can't say he wasn't a good actor. Maybe he's getting tired of Del Boy himself!

Quote: David Chapman @ June 16, 2007, 5:59 PM

Porridge was before Open All Hours. I think he just thought DJ was brilliant.

The one where Blanco (?) was released was on this week somewhere. I watched it and you can't say he wasn't a good actor there.

Maybe the scripts on the latest thingweren't so good and OFAH did drag on but you can't say he wasn't a good actor. Maybe he's getting tired of Del Boy himself!

I have all the Porridge episodes on DVD and it is a true British classic with the renowned Ronnie Barker as the main character, but there are a few other 'famous' faces such as Sir David Jason their too!

Useless fact coming up... Did you know that in the Two Ronnies TV series the phantom rasperberry blower was actually David Jason blowing the raspberry?!

;)

Quote: Nick @ June 16, 2007, 9:42 AM

Now would it really have been possible for him to have that much critical success and yet still be a terrible actor?

Your dislike of him is clearly colouring your opinion.

Yes, it would be possible.

And if I liked him, would it make him a better actor?

Anything I write in these forums, or anywhere else, is obviously going to be my opinion... I'm not swayed by others'. That would be stupid.

I genuinely believe that most people are stupid.

Quote: wii-man76 @ June 16, 2007, 9:57 PM

Useless fact coming up... Did you know that in the Two Ronnies TV series the phantom rasperberry blower was actually David Jason blowing the raspberry?!

;)

And what brilliant raspberry blowing it was. There has never been (and probably never will) such raspberry-ness... blown with such conviction and dedication to the craft.

Another fine example of the acting skill of Sir David Jason, to be sure.

;)

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ June 17, 2007, 10:21 AM

I genuinely believe that you believe that. :)

LOL!

Yes, it would be possible.

And if I liked him, would it make him a better actor?

No, I've never intimated that it would.

Just think about some of the factors that make up a good actor.

Comic timing - Now can you possibly disagree that Jason has this?

The ability to play varied characters - Delboy, Blanco, Granville, Dangermouse...Plenty of range there.

The ability to express emotion - The funeral episode of OFAH, the scene where he holds Damien in OFAH, his performance as Blanco, his performance in Porterhouse Blue...

You might think that most people are stupid but OFAH attracted a different audience to Dangermouse which attracted a different audience to Porterhouse Blue which attracted a different audience to...

Can't you see how dismissing those tens of millions of people as being wrong and saying that you are right would make you seem unbelievably arrogant?

Why not just accept that because you dislike somebody's style of performance it doesn;t necessarily make it terrible. We all have different tastes and he is obviously not to your's. It doesn't mean that you have better taste than the entire nation though.

:S

Quote: Nick @ June 17, 2007, 10:47 AM

No, I've never intimated that it would.

Just think about some of the factors that make up a good actor.

Comic timing - Now can you possibly disagree that Jason has this?

The ability to play varied characters - Delboy, Blanco, Granville, Dangermouse...Plenty of range there.

The ability to express emotion - The funeral episode of OFAH, the scene where he holds Damien in OFAH, his performance as Blanco, his performance in Porterhouse Blue...

You might think that most people are stupid but OFAH attracted a different audience to Dangermouse which attracted a different audience to Porterhouse Blue which attracted a different audience to...

Can't you see how dismissing those tens of millions of people as being wrong and saying that you are right would make you seem unbelievably arrogant?

Why not just accept that because you dislike somebody's style of performance it doesn;t necessarily make it terrible. We all have different tastes and he is obviously not to your's. It doesn't mean that you have better taste than the entire nation though.

He's a really terrible actor, in my opinion. I said that earlier. And I've said it again, for those of us less able in the mental department. Clearly, however, this isn't you... your grammar and spelling is top-notch... as is your fundamental grasp of the meaning: ‘opinion’.

I didn't say tens of millions of people are wrong... just that they are stupid. If that makes me arrogant, fair enough... I don't care.

And why can't tens of millions of people be wrong anyway?

This last time I looked, this forum allows us to express our opinions. Why can't you accept that? If I think someone is a terrible actor, well... to me they are. You’ll have to accept that, I’m afraid. As I accept that there are those who think David Jason is a good actor.

I appreciate that I'm in the minority with this opinion... so what? I'm allowed it. And I will express it here as long as Aaron and other moderators allow me to.

Now go away... you bore me. ;)

Of course you are allowed to have an opinion. But surely others are allowed to be of the opinion that you are drivelling. ;)

Seriously though, I have a problem with anybody who makes a comment like that and then has nothing to back it up with. Now I gave examples of his timing, range and ability to emote and you made no attempt to argue against them. Just repeating, 'he is terrible' isn't much of an argument.

Don't sit on the fence Darren, do you think he's a good actor or not?

Therefore logically you and Leevil are stupid

Quote: Nick @ June 17, 2007, 11:37 AM

Of course you are allowed to have an opinion. But surely others are allowed to be of the opinion that you are drivelling. ;)

Seriously though, I have a problem with anybody who makes a comment like that and then has nothing to back it up with. Now I gave examples of his timing, range and ability to emote and you made no attempt to argue against them. Just repeating, 'he is terrible' isn't much of an argument.

I probably am 'drivelling'. David Jason made me so... it's his fault.

Seriously though... the old 'give examples' argument?

*Sigh*.

It's never made a difference, has it? You wouldn't change your mind, would you? I mean, I don't agree with your so called examples. He's still terrible. I try to be open-minded but, after watching many of his shows, I can honestly say, I think he’s usually the worst player. I’m just not convinced of his ability to ‘emote’.

You have a problem with me? Lol… I can live with it.

Quote: ajp29 @ June 17, 2007, 11:40 AM

Therefore logically you and Leevil are stupid

Completely...

I don't think he is a great actor, but I think he has the likeability factor. Del Boy is a great character, especially if like me you grew up watching him.