Only Fools... where to stop? Page 3

: )
We should get t-shirts made.

Quote: Ed Parnell @ June 12, 2007, 2:04 AM

Heartburn Hotel was poorly rec'd, I think it got a bad rap really. Worse than it deserved. Roger Roger was similarly bombasted. Essentially I think the problem was that if you are given too much space (50 mins) you have to fill it up and for a new vehicle this is difficult. If they had started those shows less ambitiously, maybe a thrity minute slot, they may have worked more effectively.

I agree Ed. And you're right, maybe if Roger, Roger was on for half an hour they could then grown into a fifty minute piece. But I only saw it when it came back in 2003. I was a bit too young to see the original two series. And I have two or three episodes of Heartburn Hotel which we taped off the telly at the time, and I really like, but the thing is, it's not commercially available.

If you think about it, Heartburn Hotel was obviously dropped because it was a political hot potato. Imagine a sitcom about asylum seekers now...

Baker the Nutter was really funny in that. Remember the one with the lift? Hilarious, in my view. "Ahhh Ballacks!"

I don't remember it too well, Dave, although no-one could forget 'old shep' in a hurry!

Quote: zooo @ June 12, 2007, 2:14 PM

: )
We should get t-shirts made.

My sentiments exactly. Or start another forum thread to meet those like ourselves.

I always used to like it but it did just go on and on past its sell-by date.

I couldn't say exactly when that was but I just don't bother watching it any more and don't own or want any of it on DVD.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ June 13, 2007, 11:49 AM

My sentiments exactly. Or start another forum thread to meet those like ourselves.

You can add me to the list.

I think I just can't stand David Jason. He's a really terrible actor, in my opinion.

I think this thread should stop!

Stop!

Hammertime.

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ June 16, 2007, 12:44 AM

I think I just can't stand David Jason. He's a really terrible actor, in my opinion.

Except he's not is he. There is a difference between disliking someone and them being a terrible actor.

Now OFAH, Open All Hours and Porridge are considered to be 3 of Britain's best ever sitcoms, Dangermouse is considered to be one of Britain's greatest animations, Porterhouse Blue was considered to be a superb drama...I could go on.

Now would it really have been possible for him to have that much critical success and yet still be a terrible actor?

Your dislike of him is clearly colouring your opinion.

Well, no. Not clear in the slightest. Maybe Darren dislikes him because he believes him to be a terrible actor, and not the other way around.

And yes. It would be possible. After all, Peter Kay's a terrible comedian.

;)

Quote: Aaron @ June 16, 2007, 11:10 AM

Well, no. Not clear in the slightest. Maybe Darren dislikes him because he believes him to be a terrible actor, and not the other way around.

And yes. It would be possible. After all, Peter Kay's a terrible comedian.

;)

Except he's not is he...Touche.

Dismissing David Jason as a terrible actor is like saying that The Beatles were a terrible band or that Elvis was a terrible singer. Now I don't particularly like The Beatles music but if I were to just dismiss them as being terrible then I would come across as a gibbering simpleton.

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ June 16, 2007, 12:44 AM

You can add me to the list.

This is so cool... Other people who share my dislike of this pisspoor sit'com'. David Jason the multi-millionaire capitalist plays one of us. Nicholas Lynd-thingy plays the same character with no development or depth for twenty years. Some old bastard with a beard takes over some older bastard who died and people still say the old one was better. Add a few exampoles of completely unconvincing womanhood and wotcha got, a comedy classic. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

He wasn't in Porridge... was he?