The Cup Page 4

Me too, even the Cantona-esque P.E. poet. Laughed at them all looking at the individual slides.

Dull, largely unfunny, but still something watchable about it.

The first few minutes are good, then it fizzles out half way through, it's only until the last 10 minutes the jokes start up again. Yet it's still watchable.

Don't really see what the mockumentary element actually brings to this show. In The Office is was used to develop the characters and plot. Here, it just seems pretty redundant. It's not really bringing anything to benefit the show.

Also, if you are going to pretend it's filmed as a documentary, at least film it properly. For example, when the two guys get into the car conspiratorally, there's no adjustment to the sound level/quality, despite the fact the they're not seen to be wearing radio mics and the windows are closed, which would affect any boom be used by the crew. QED - there's a mic in the car, which a doc crew wouldn't do. (What a pathetic life I have pointing stuff like this out!)

Quote: Aaron @ August 28 2008, 10:07 PM BST

Dull, largely unfunny, but still something watchable about it.

I certainly trust your view on comedy after this post Aaron.

Re: The Cup.

Here's a bold idea BBC - STOP EMPLOYING STEVE EDGE!!

Quote: Seefacts @ August 28 2008, 11:56 PM BST

Are you suggesting some kind of post-Phoenix Nights 'Curse Of Edge'?

Probably just a misunderstanding at the BBC. 'Our sitcoms need more edge!'

:D

I enjoyed the first ep but thought this week's was poorer. Very few laughs and also a definite lack of subtlety.

Well, after I slagged this a bit last week, I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and see if ep. 2 was any better. And it certainly was not. So terribly f**king mundane. Couldn't even manage the entire episode. Maybe there was a classic set piece at the end, that would have reversed my opinion, but I doubt it.

It is sometimes worth sticking with a show, as with 'How not to live your life'.

However, I really can't see the appeal of The Cup. Bemused by the postings which suggest that it's unfunny but somehow watchable. Is there really such a dearth of good comedy around that we're quite happy to make do with mediocrity?

I can only assume that there is supposed to be some kind of feel-good appeal , because of the subject matter. Well, it didn't make me feel very bloody good!
Shall not be watching this again, I think.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 29 2008, 7:50 AM BST

Is there really such a dearth of good comedy around that we're quite happy to make do with mediocrity?

Apparently
;)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 29 2008, 7:50 AM BST

However, I really can't see the appeal of The Cup. Bemused by the postings which suggest that it's unfunny but somehow watchable. Is there really such a dearth of good comedy around that we're quite happy to make do with mediocrity?

I don't know either. I think it's car crash syndrome.

It's certainly strange how it took 30 (seemingly very long) minutes to say, well, pretty much f**k-all, if I'm honest.

I enjoyed it. I think its well written and performed and although there aren't huge belly laughs its engaging and entertaining.

There are a few jokes that are telegraphed at the set-up but then there are moments like Steve Edge grabbing someone else's beer at the restaurant because he's trying to pretend his curry isn't that hot.

Watched it again last night, and it's not improved. A poor man's The Office. It feels so much like a first draft. Nothing's crafted. It's all what you are likely to hear in ordinary conversation.

A step up from that one about the ice skating Rolling eyes but that's about it.

Quote: David H @ August 29 2008, 9:43 AM BST

It's all what you are likely to hear in ordinary conversation.

That's kind of the point of this style of comedy. Errr