Friends

I can't find a thread about Friends, which I thought was rather odd as it seems very popular with people on here. But why is it you like Friends? Personally, I can't stand the show.

I find the characters annoying - they're all far too good looking (apart from Schwimmer) and live in huge apartments. I can't imagine anyone more irritating that Phoebe - yes, she's kooky, we get the point. And aren't Rachel and Monica just the same character as each other?

Some of the jokes in the show are so hackneyed and predictable as well. If ever I'm forced to watch an episode, I may snigger once or twice, but that is all.

And yet, it's ridiculously popular. It's a perfect slice of stereotypical twentysomethings lives, so I guess that's the appeal.

I'll give it one thing: the structure and setup of the plots are quite good.

What Griff said.

At it's best: phenomenal.

I don't understand why it's suddenly so popular here (as opposed to every other site and every other person I've ever spoken to) either. The praise inspired me to get the first season on DVD. I enjoyed it, and ended up buying season 2 as well. But I don't consider it to be a particularly good show, and highly unlikely to enter my top 20 sitcoms. It's one of those guilty pleasure things, just to watch in a brain-dead mode. I consider it lower than many shows which no one here seems to like.

I much prefer Cheers. Seems more honest.

The first few seasons are fantastic, before it went all soapy but it's still great later on.

I love Cheers and Frasier. But what does that have to do with Friends? :P ;)

About the point Courtney Cox's head shrivels to the size of a raisin and she gets all shrieky it heads downhill pretty fast.

I always liked Joey though (outside of his own sitcom) and used to think Chandler was hilarious. That very much wears off with age though - now he's just a f**king wiseacre. I always thought Aniston was the best of the girls - some great comic timing. Phoebe I didn't mind so long as she wasn't being too kooky. I remember a bit (that seemed ad-libbed) where she was screeching along to Ross' bagpipe interpretation of 'celebration' that all but slayed me. Schwimmer did some fine slapstick playing Ross too. Frankly, I rather liked the characters. Even when they did come across as smug they usually countered it somehow - say the time they arrived at the coffee shop to find (shock horror) that another group of friends had pitched themselves in their place. And as schmaltzy as it could be, they often pulled it off just right. I watched the first Rachel/Ross kiss episode on a plane a little while back and really enjoyed it.

You're right about the plotting anyway - consistently good. Some of the stories were really very inventive too. I particularly like the one where Joey meets his match as a perfume seller/cowboy.

Quote: Griff @ August 12 2008, 3:19 PM BST

I was replying to Winterlight's post WHICH YOU WOULD KNOW IF YOU HAD BOTHERED TO READ THE THREAD BEFORE MAKING SUCH AN ILL THOUGHT OUT OBSERVATION I am sorry for any confusion that may have been caused.

It was aimed at Winterlight and I was only joking. I'm more than happy to talk about Cheers and Frasier.

Shall we have a Friends stylee group hug?

Quote: Griff @ August 12 2008, 2:55 PM BST

The joke rate on Friends is phenomenal - it delivers a lot more laughs than many more "sophisticated" shows.

Phoebe was my favourite character when I started watching, but she did grate on me eventually, as did Chandler. But Lisa Kudrow's delivery of even the most basic line can be hilarious sometimes.

No, Rachel and Monica aren't the same. Monica is the control freak. Rachel is the ditzy one.

It's popular because of the ongoing soap aspect, I think. Which is the thing I like least about it, I think the sentimentality of some episodes is a bit cloying.

You bet. Six characters, nearly all of whom have complete storylines in each episode (which is what, 24 minutes ?).

Griff if I am ever up in court I'll choose you as my brief. A near forensic defence with passion.

Friends went onto long, it got sucked into that whole rom-com Sex and the City trap.

But those are side issues, but those are side issues to one of the funniest most innovative, best written sitcoms of all time.

I mean granted it had a couple of writers per character, but still.

In many way it showed up how sluggish and parochial msot UK sitcoms are.

And the actors were all phenomenally funny. This was a show that could switch between razor sharp linguistic gags, and top notch clowning.

And it had a very cool and knowing sense of darkness, that many comedy films would kill for.

It's a shame that the UK system of 2 guys writing can rarely compete with this level of production.

Towards the end the writers were on 7 figure salaries a year and the actors on that per week. It goes to show what happens if you invest in quality.

And thats why there'll never be a UK Sopranos.

hear hear

:)

Chandler was my favourite character, and this clip is one of my favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyNy4Zu-q_E

"His legs flail about as if independent from his body," always has me lol'ing. Just a fantastic gag rate with top-notch performances. The first 4 or 5 series were great. Also it picked up in the last season with the addition of Paul Rudd.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ August 12 2008, 4:11 PM BST

Chandler was my favourite character

I may have only got two seasons in, but Chandler is a complete dick.

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2008, 4:15 PM BST

I may have only got two seasons in, but Chandler is a complete dick.

No way. He had some great lines.

I almost couldn't complete the first DISC of season one, because of him. I believe he would be described as a "tool".