Friends Page 10

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 29 2009, 5:02 PM BST

Kramer was actually based on Larry David's real life neighbour, also called Kramer.

And here he is!

So he's wearing a tee-shirt of a portrait of himself wearing a tee-shirt of the character based on himself. If you had such a shirt made , who would you have as the two people on that shirt?

How utterly unimpressed with life's infinite possibilities would you have to be not to like "Friends"? OK, that may be extreme but the early series of 'Friends' are pretty damn brilliant. On this subject I'm on Mastermind with no passes. Some think Friends is a case of the Emperor's Clothes, don't see the greatness.

Friends' is clever, deceptively so. The early Chandler is a masterly comedic creation, expertly acted, cast and scripted, whether trying to quit the gym or handling a psycho flatmate. I think Friends does, and will, stand the test of time. The lightness of touch makes another good comedy "Men Behaving Badly" (a similar boys&girls set-up) seem a shade ponderous and slow when I caught an episode the other day.

I'm not saying the passing of Friends was right up there with the funeral of Princess Diana, though. It passed its sell-by-date for me approximately at the time when Chandler sold out and hooked up with Monica in the ill-advised Emily/London episodes. Fortunately the wall to wall repeats on E4 ensure the early series come round again with decent regularity and they never fail to entertain.

Quote: Dreck @ June 8 2010, 10:18 PM BST

How utterly unimpressed with life's infinite possibilities would you have to be not to like "Friends"?

What the f........?

I don't like Friends. I find it too contrived, too slick, full of canned laughter, unbelievable characters I have no sympathy or empathy with. I just can't relate to anything in the programme.

And it's American........

Quote: Chappers @ June 8 2010, 10:26 PM BST

Laughing out loud

Quote: Chappers @ June 8 2010, 10:26 PM BST

What the f........?

I don't like Friends. I find it too contrived, too slick, full of canned laughter, unbelievable characters I have no sympathy or empathy with. I just can't relate to anything in the programme.

Deafening applause from the Oldrocker house !

As they say, call a person's taste in humour 'rubbish' and you're in trouble. Say you don't like it and, you know, you're perfectly safe.

BTW some of you seem to be in the wrong building.

When the show first started off I was a bit like "this isn't very good" but I thought I'd give it a chance and I'm glad I did because it's an excellent show and it is so well written (I mean they did have 12 writers) but if you've got lines from Ross like:

"First divorce: wife's hidden sexuality, not my fault. Second divorce: said the wrong name at the altar, kind of my fault. Third divorce: they shouldn't let you get married when you're that drunk and have stuff drawn all over your face, Nevada's fault."

...you know it's going to be quite special.

Yeah, I didn't watch it until the second series. But loved it soon after that. The earlier episodes are far superior to the later ones. But it all features some great moments, lines and characters.

Quote: The Numpty @ July 29 2010, 5:19 PM BST

(I mean they did have 12 writers)

That isn't in itself a reason for it to be good. The bible has lots of writers, but it's rubbish throughout.

I do like Friends though, especially the middle period.

Quote: Nogget @ July 29 2010, 6:51 PM BST

I do like Friends though, especially the middle period.

That's how I feel about the bible.

I sniff at the good looking thing and their massive apartments. Americans are rather aspirational, at least they're stereotyped that way, so perhaps it's no surprise. I can also see that a lot of good looking people would hang round with other good looking people. And David Schwimmer. LOLROLFLOLMAOLOL.

My girlfriend has the entire box set and I sit through whole episodes without laughing. It just isn't for me, I suppose. I liked it when Bruce Willis turned up though. I thought they got some good mileage out of him vs Ross.

They really turned Ross into a bit of a clown as the show went on.
Whereas the others, bar Joey had quite a good believable character development.

But all in all it's so well written & the performers have great rapport & timing. At it's peak it was up there with the very best.

Phoebe was another stumbling block for me. What was the point of her?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ July 29 2010, 8:40 PM BST

They really turned Ross into a bit of a clown as the show went on.

I really liked where they took his character; the more clownish the better for me! He was just so good at all that stuff. As soon as Chandler got with Monica and became unfunny, Ross became my favourite character.

Quote: Griff @ July 29 2010, 7:45 PM BST

A lot of people are very sniffy about Friends, I went to a sitcom writing course a couple of years ago where people were slagging it off because it had good-looking people in it etc.

These people are foolish! Friends is brilliant and will remain so.

I love Friends as it is, but if any of the characters could be let go it'd be Phoebe and Joey.
If the show was just Phoebe and Joey it would be utterly unwatchable.

But as I say, I think it's perfect as it is, they each have their place.