The Sitcom Trials 2008 Page 3

In answer to the above, yes my script went into development with Pozzitive who have now submitted my (completely re-written) pilot script to the BBC. Now we're just waiting... waiting...

DAMMIT!! WHY DON'T THEY CALL???

Sorry about that.

Anyway. I have heard that one of the other finalists is also in discussions with a production company, but I think it's a mistake to enter the trials purely to get that elusive tv series commission.
(Let's face it, the odds are not with us unknowns).

The main things I got from the trials were experience, new contacts, and getting my name out there.

As for actual prizes... um... well... I got a nice card...

A nice card. That's all I want and yet...

... nothing...

Dan

Quote: Symon @ August 5 2008, 12:45 PM BST

In answer to the above, yes my script went into development with Pozzitive who have now submitted my (completely re-written) pilot script to the BBC. Now we're just waiting... waiting...

Sorry about that.

Anyway. I have heard that one of the other finalists is also in discussions with a production company, but I think it's a mistake to enter the trials purely to get that elusive tv series commission.

The main things I got from the trials were experience, new contacts, and getting my name out there.

If it's the BBC you'll be waiting close to 6 months. Even WITH company backing.

Sorry about that.

Is it true Symon and I really don't wish to appear bitchy or rude, did you win because you took a lot of friends there to vote for your sitcom, or is it a myth that this happens?

Sorry about that.

That's not bad - development with a production company is invaluable. Plus the BBC now knows you're out there.

Quote: Seefacts @ August 5 2008, 8:27 PM BST

If it's the BBC you'll be waiting close to 6 months. Even WITH company backing.

I think there's a commissioning round in September? But I could be wrong.

Quote: Simon Stratton @ August 5 2008, 8:56 PM BST

That's not bad - development with a production company is invaluable. Plus the BBC now knows you're out there.

I think there's a commissioning round in September? But I could be wrong.

They accept stuff all year round.

In answer to Bushbaby's question - yes, it definitely helped (though it was not my deliberate strategy) that our entry had a cast of 8 who brought their friends. However, it's worth mentioning that audiences were invited to vote for their top 2 choices, so "my" voters were also free to vote for other scripts.

However, that's just to get through the heats, the final was judged by Geoff Posner and Jamie Glazebrook alone, with no audience input - so I felt a bit vindicated when we won.

From speaking to the organisers I think they are hoping to mitigate the 'mob factor' this year but I'm not sure what their strategy will be.

And don't worry, I don't take your comments as bitchy OR rude! It's a legitimate concern that you should mention to Simon & Declan in your entry.

Oh, and cheers Seefacts - that makes me feel a bit better about the wait!

Thanks Symon, well done for being selected initially too because there are only about 16 selected aren't there?

Is that true??? That's terrible Griff. This must have been at the other semi I wasn't able to attend, where my 2nd entry got knocked out. (However, I wrote that script in a week, so I wasn't overly surprised.)

It would explain 2 of the 4 finalists though which I thought were not as good as Art For Art's Sake or Singing The Blues.

Simon & Declan seem committed to improving the status of the trials though, so I'm sure it won't be allowed to happen again.

And thanks Bushbaby - yes, 16 scripts were selected last year. My first draft was pretty rubbish, but I got a lot of feedback from the director & cast assigned to me and it really helped me understand how to make stage comedy work better.

Yep, I'm just doing one this year as well. I am quite sure yours isn't shit Griff, I really enjoyed Art For Art's Sake and I'm sure Simon must have really liked it too, to cast himself in it!!

I'll give you a shout if I get accepted and we can meet up for a pre-heat dram.

The latest news (for anyone interested) is that my script has been knocked back by BBC & C4. Apparently they liked the writing but the scenario (a flat share) put them off on account of they already have Grown Ups & Peep Show respectively.

Back to the drawing board kids...

Oh that must be so disappointing, having got so far.
Maybe this year will work for you then.
When you were chosen in the sixteen did they invite you to meet the director/cast before it was rehearsed?

Quote: Griff @ August 7 2008, 10:59 PM BST

Can't speak for Symon but I met with both directors for my scripts last year. One of them was happy for me to be involved in rehearsals, which I learned a lot from, the other preferred not. But both of them spent lots of time on the phone with me going through suggested script revisions etc.

That sounds really exciting Griff.

I've entered a couple this year for the first time. One lives in hope

To echo Griff's reply, I got the chance to work with a terrific director who gave loads of great advice, and by the time we got to the heats it really was a different show.

The actors were also great, took the characters in different directions, but in every case, improved on them.