Summer Heights High Page 2

I think it's okay. Not the best, but it's watchable and slightly amusing.

Nice enough first episode, some funny bits. Not hillarious, but then its probably the kind of thing that will get funnier as you get to know the characters more. It could have had more laughs in it for a first episode though; but I liked it. Mr G has the potential to be great.

I saw bits of it a few months ago when it first aired and wasn't hugely impressed. Some of it was occasionally funny, good for something to occupy yourself with for half an hour, but nothing spectacular. Jonah was actually the character I found the funniest (the sexual harassment episode was hilarious), but I get the feeling its one of those characters where you have to know people that are like that and im not sure how many thuggish maori teens the british would come across. Ja'mie I thought was funnier in We Can Be Heroes, the mockumentary that Chris Lilley made before this one, so to me it seemed the character was past its use by date.

Oh, a novelty single was released by "Mr. G" as well that just plain annoyed the hell out of me, which is possibly another reason why i never really warmed to the show.

I thought Jonah was good too - but only because as Liam said I have come across some Maori teens...and the attitude is amusing.

Quote: EllieJP @ June 15 2008, 10:15 AM BST

I think it's okay. Not the best, but it's watchable and slightly amusing.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

Pleased

I don't mean to patronise anyone, because you either like it or you don't, but perhaps you'd find it funnier if you were more familiar with the Australian school system and its patrons?

I agree though, at times it is a bit slow. And I also agree with the person that said We Can Be Heroes (the pre-cursor to SHH) is a weird mix of drama and comedy - the bit where the woman is diagnosed with cancer is slightly 'WTF?'.

I've watched enough Heartbreak High to handle this!

Quote: jeej @ June 24 2008, 12:20 AM BST

I don't mean to patronise anyone, because you either like it or you don't, but perhaps you'd find it funnier if you were more familiar with the Australian school system and its patrons?

I agree though, at times it is a bit slow. And I also agree with the person that said We Can Be Heroes (the pre-cursor to SHH) is a weird mix of drama and comedy - the bit where the woman is diagnosed with cancer is slightly 'WTF?'.

That reminds me of the death of Dr. McCartney, on Green Wing. What the f**k was all that about???

It was about tragedy, heartbreak, human fate, mortality.

Now, what about Sweet Valley High?

Yes. I agree actually. About Mac. I don't think that was a great idea, to be honest.

Sweet Valley High!!
I almost bought a book on amazon. But resisted.

Quote: zooo @ June 24 2008, 12:47 AM BST

Yes. I agree actually. About Mac. I don't think that was a great idea, to be honest.

It was pretty strange. And, IMO, handled quite badly, with pretty much the whole thing packed into the final two episodes, IIRC.

The show drags a bit? Perhaps to those who haven't taken their Ritalin!

It is a great show---the best to come out of Australia EVER.

Great balls of piss-taking! Mr G and his Down-Syndrome assistant---couldn't be done in America, that's for sure. Jonah drawing a picture of his dad grabbing his cock and the dad being called into the office to explain himself...OMG!!

The teacher losing it with Jonah and throwing him out of the class...

The Jonah character is best. They should truly do a spin-off for him. Priceless!

I don't like the J'amie character except for the fact that she/he is surrounded by pretty teenage girls that are very gawk-able...

All of the adult actors are top notch. The writing is good and the pace is perfect. A classic show!

Jonah's drawing: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fUfpYBX6AXo

"Would you like a cup of tea?" AHHHH HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Summer Heights High is a rare example of dramedy that works, mixed with some of the most ingenious character comedy I've ever seen.

Not all comedy needs to slop out gag after gag, free of any dramatic tension.

The end musical, the lesbian subplot, MrGs sniffing pupils, the flying alsation made me laugh out.

That said Rocky was comedy gold.

Stick your cup of tea up your arse.

Just the way he says he's going to smack his son, and the teachers look embarassed.

Quote: Skibbington von Skubber @ August 4 2008, 12:27 PM BST

It is a great show---the best to come out of Australia EVER.

Yeah, that's saying a lot isn't it. Errr